“Human Rights Community” Agrees: Gilad Shalit Should Remain in Captivity

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
“Human Rights Community” Agrees: Gilad Shalit Should Remain in Captivity

Noah Pollak 06.24.2011 - 5:40 PM Commentary Magazine EXCERPT:

Tomorrow marks the five-year anniversary of the Hamas raid into Israel in which Gilad Shalit was wounded and then dragged through a tunnel into the Gaza Strip, where he remains in captivity to this day. To mark the occasion, 12 prominent “human rights” organizations, including Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch, and B’Tselem, have issued a joint statement.
If a better example of the utter moral collapse of the human rights community exists, it would be hard to find. The statement is one of passionless brevity — just a few sentences long — and expresses no opinion on the standing of Hamas, or on its 2006 raid into Israel, or on the legitimacy of its goals and methods. Remarkably, it doesn’t even demand the release of Gilad Shalit. The most that this allegedly courageous and principled human rights community could bring itself to say to the terrorists of Hamas is that they should improve the conditions of Shalit’s imprisonment. You can read the statement on Human Rights Watch’s website.
END EXCERPT
What a bunch of hypocritical scum.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
not sure who that Gilat guy is....

(considering the US just pulled off a nice raid in a sovereign country...or that Israel made a pretty good run in the past napping people all over the world, hauling them back to Israel...)

So I am not sure what your point is?
Hamas having somebody captive?

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I am not sure what your point is?
Hamas having somebody captive?

His point is that Teh Librulz aren't saying what he wants them to say, therefore they are bad people.

The trick is, even if they did say exactly what he said he wanted them to say, they would still be bad people. The wording would just change.

Heads I win, tails you lose!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
and who is that Gilad guy?

Ah, never mind...
read wiki...
then reread the 'commentary' magazine thing again...

The headline does not agree with the body of the 'article'...and then there are the considerations of ongoing mediation attempts.

can't expect good results dealing with people if you publicly denounce them....so silence might be golden?

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, it is somehow wrong to denounce kidnapping?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, it is somehow wrong to denounce kidnapping?

well, if you want to or a re in the process of talking to the kidnapping entities, you do have to chose your words carefully.

But according to Wiki, the usual suspects, you know, like The Red Cross are putting pressure on the captors.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And against universal convention, the Red Cross has never been granted access to Shalit.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And against universal convention, the Red Cross has never been granted access to Shalit.

Yes, it was noted.

However, I think a little less rattling of the sabers is much more in the young man's interest.

(to make it clear, no, kidnapping is wrong, not keeping to international agreements is wrong...)

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, it was noted.

However, I think a little less rattling of the sabers is much more in the young man's interest.

(to make it clear, no, kidnapping is wrong, not keeping to international agreements is wrong...)
Because the terrorists have always been so reasonable to negotiate with? How many years do they keep him before really rattling the sabers is appropriate?
Were this your friend or family member, would you counsel negotiation?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because the terrorists have always been so reasonable to negotiate with? How many years do they keep him before really rattling the sabers is appropriate?
Were this your friend or family member, would you counsel negotiation?

There is the 'we don't negotiate with terrorists' idea
there is the factor of a young man who knows were (assuming he is still alive)
and there are several groups negotiating.

For one the last thing I would want to do either as family or as negotiator would be dragging this **** into the press for all the gawkers to amuse themselves and second guess every move made.

fact is, the general public has no idea what is going on and words are just that. Cheap, easily dispensed.

However, the headline did not coincide with the core of the article either...

The only thing I gathered was that nobody condones it, but treads carefully around the subject...

But then again, you can turn billi's center fold angel 1 and 2 lose on Hamas...I am sure the issue will be resolved in a heartbeat....

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
so they are the bad guys. big news here.

However, beats the option of 'come pick him up, bring a body bag'

The option woud be "We want thousands of prisonnrs for his bones". Because they know Israel would likely do it.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's not so much the number as much as
a) some on the list Israel will never release
and
b) the number kept changing

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not so much the number as much as
a) some on the list Israel will never release
and
b) the number kept changing

I think it is established that Hamas are a-holes. nothing new here.

However, the headline is not supported by the article, and looking just a little the facts don't seem to support it.

As much as it bugs some folks, diplomacy is largely conducted behind closed doors and outside of the media.

But I hope this young man gets to go home soon!

Latest Discussions