HS Football Capital, USA

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This past weekend, Southern Columbia High School (Columbia County, Pennsylvania) won its' 4th consecutive state football championship, tying the state record. The only other team to win 4 straight was Berwick Area High School in the early-90's. Funny thing about this is that the school districts are only separated by about ten miles!

I'm not an alumnus of either school, and I don't claim to be a fan of either program. It's just an amazing accomplishment.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I played football from jr. high thru college, and it's hard enough to win it all in ONE year, let alone putting a string together like either of these schools did.......

BTW...Henderson, I wasn't trying to take away from or upstage the accomplishment of the PA high school....I guess I'm still recovering from the Steelers spanking of my beloved Bears on Sunday and I felt a primal need to defend football in Illinois vs PA, both perennial goldmines of talent. :asian:

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's a HUGE accomplishmnet for a high school team. I know PA is to football what IN is to basketball. To be the cream of the crop with that kind of competition is amazing once, much less 4 times.

My town's high school team just won their first AA state championship. :)

Martial Tucker - I know. What a spanking! It was ugly. Sorry. carry on. :)

OP
Henderson

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Martial Tucker said:
BTW...Henderson, I wasn't trying to take away from or upstage the accomplishment of the PA high school

No offense taken whatsoever. Have you noticed how it's almost always the "little" schools that do something like this? Southern Columbia plays in class A. They're a rural school district, heck the school is actually bordered by farmer's fields! I'm sure the Illinois school, since it's a Catholic HS doesn't exactly have a huge student body either.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Henderson said:
No offense taken whatsoever. Have you noticed how it's almost always the "little" schools that do something like this? Southern Columbia plays in class A. They're a rural school district, heck the school is actually bordered by farmer's fields! I'm sure the Illinois school, since it's a Catholic HS doesn't exactly have a huge student body either.

Yeah, but in Illinois there are 8 classes for football, and many the private schools have been criticized because they recruit players from outside their territory, giving them a talent advantage over a same-sized public school which can only take students/players from their immediate area. The current remedy is to assign a "multiplier" to the actual enrollment of private schools when calculating what class they should play in. I think the multiplier is around 1.4. If so, a private high school with 1000 students would be placed in the same competition class as public schools with 1400-ish students. Not sure where/how the multiplier was derived, and I really don't care because I'm not involved functionally or emotionally. I do agree there has been a problem, but I would like to think there are better ways to solve it, because it penalizes private schools that are not in large metropolitan areas.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats to these team accompliments, but everybody knows Texas is high school football at its best.

No I did not play by the way.
Terry

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Congrats to these team accompliments, but everybody knows Texas is high school football at its best.

Terry

I was wondering when we'd have a Texan jump into this little "weenie-waggle"!

I'm guessing Florida's next......

OP
Henderson

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:

Terry

What's the name of that relatively famous HS team out there? Odessa Permian? (sp?)

Latest Discussions