How Wing Chun is supposed to look...in my book

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks! I was commenting about how your squaring up = 50/50 chance of winning is bs. A bigger guy, experienced MMA guy, hardened violent offender, and even an experienced wc guy would have an advantage over a smaller inexperienced guy.
But I agree that squaring up is stupid, I also train from a neutral stance. I also train to take an unassuming hands up stance if things are sketchy. Squaring off is what fighters do, it does give the other guy the advantage to anticipate that an attack is coming. I recommend keeping cool trying to diffuse a situation and if the guy continues or tries to chest bump, let him have it. An MMA guy or boxer is perfectly capable of not squaring up too.
I was just foolin around. I figured you were having some technical problems.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Will someone remind me we're attempting to skip around the idea that sparring with someone from another style improves your training?
Hawkins Cheung is a black belt in Karate. I remember reading somewhere where he wrote that, he would use his Wing Chun against his Karate peers to test it.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to watch the boats and fishermen though when you spar with piers.

Sorry, I couldn't resist it, I can resist anything but temptation......................

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So people that leave class early and dont practice as much are not as good as the people that stay longer and practice more........HMMMM

A couple of additional hours a week in training time doesn't account for the difference in skill level. It's pretty dramatic, in some cases causing people to be stuck at their belt level longer than their peers. It got so bad that my instructor began pushing the non-rollers to start rolling after the class as much as possible, and offer more times for open mats.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes people just can't afford the grading fee..........

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like his

- shoulder throw at 0.19 (he might still have jacket/gi throw attitude and haven't totally evolved into no-jacket/no-gi throw yet), and
- twist throw at 0.40.

I can tell that he is a WC guy with "open mind".

Last edited:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A couple of additional hours a week in training time doesn't account for the difference in skill level. It's pretty dramatic, in some cases causing people to be stuck at their belt level longer than their peers. It got so bad that my instructor began pushing the non-rollers to start rolling after the class as much as possible, and offer more times for open mats.
1st a couple hours a week for people that only train a couple hours a week to start with is HUGE
2nd people that are not committed to train the entire class are always going to lag behind more committed students
3rd some people dont care about rank or being as good as their peers
I think the difference in skill has more to do with attitude then with sparring

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sometimes people just can't afford the grading fee..........

There are no grading fees at my school....

1st a couple hours a week for people that only train a couple hours a week to start with is HUGE
2nd people that are not committed to train the entire class are always going to lag behind more committed students
3rd some people dont care about rank or being as good as their peers
I think the difference in skill has more to do with attitude then with sparring

I would agree with the first, if the ones who trained for less time, but rolled after class weren't still better than the ones who came to more classes but didn't roll. This is pure common sense. Regardless of overall training time, people who roll are going to be better at rolling than people who don't. Simple logic.

As for not caring about rank, at my school the instructor and his assistants decide who gets promoted. Its a combination of mat time, and how well you do at rolling against your peers, so no ones cares about rank. If you got the goods you'll be promoted, whether you want to or not.

If you're not rolling, you won't have the goods.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like his

- shoulder throw at 0.19 (he might still have jacket/gi throw attitude and haven't totally evolved into no-jacket/no-gi throw yet), and
- twist throw at 0.40.

I can tell that he is a WC guy with "open mind".

Look guys, this is trying to bring the thread back to WC, so there is still a chance this thread could go on track on what is after all the WC and CMA part of MT. Can we go along with this and actually discuss WC as itself not in comparison with or instead of any other art.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
so do WC people usually train throws as in post 392?
when training in WC do you use ointments to help harden the hands or in helping blood flow after a hard wooden dummy workout?

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Look guys, this is trying to bring the thread back to WC, so there is still a chance this thread could go on track on what is after all the WC and CMA part of MT. Can we go along with this and actually discuss WC as itself not in comparison with or instead of any other art.
All you have to do is post something interesting to get us back on topic. Controversy is interesting, that's why you keep posting. If you're not interested quit posting if you and the pro wc guys all did this this thread would quickly fall to the wayside.

The beauty about forums is that you guys get to hear all my controversial and deeply insightful thoughts. On occasion when training I run into guys who quote the same Bruce lee quotes we've all heard, they complain about anything remotely competitive, and stand around and talk all class rather than work to lose that belly. I just roll my eyes and remain silent, I'm not confrontational and I won't start an argument or controversial discussion when it's time to train. This forum provides us the opportunity to discuss and work out differences of opinion, despite our differences of opinion I do consider alternate view points and on occasion change my stance on topics.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
so do WC people usually train throws as in post 392?
when training in WC do you use ointments to help harden the hands or in helping blood flow after a hard wooden dummy workout?
I'm pretty sure standard practice is to soak the hands in milk then have kittens lick the hands while watching "Enter the Dragon" and vocalizing the Bruce lee "wahhh" and "watahhhhh" sounds.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mephisto funny post but I am asking a serious question about training practices and the conditioning of the hands