How / When / Why Do You Bow?

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or if there were other reasons for the bow.
i bow to my training partner. i have heard the term respect more than a few times in this thread but often that is a parrot answer. so why bow really? for me i am bowing in respect for my partner with a feeling of thanks for the fact that martial arts is hard, people get injured and hurt and my partner is willing to put his body and well being at risk for me to have the opportunity to learn. sometimes a simple class just "hurts" to get though we should be thankful that someone is willing make that sacrifice of their body for my benefit.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i bow to my training partner. i have heard the term respect more than a few times in this thread but often that is a parrot answer. so why bow really? for me i am bowing in respect for my partner with a feeling of thanks for the fact that martial arts is hard, people get injured and hurt and my partner is willing to put his body and well being at risk for me to have the opportunity to learn. sometimes a simple class just "hurts" to get though we should be thankful that someone is willing make that sacrifice of their body for my benefit.
To me the respect means a couple different things. The respect to the building/mat, is the respect I have to this place that is dedicated to helping people with my passion. The respect to the class, or my opponent in competitive situations, is respect to others that share this passion, and are helping me learn while I help them learn. The respect to the instructor/founder is both an acknowledgement of the information they have, and gratitude for teaching me.
The respect to the country, I get, but seems out of place IMO compared to the others. I do it if the class does, but don't go out of my way when I'm in a dojo that doesn't do that bow.

So while respect is a parrot answer, it's also the actual answer, at least for me.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
There have been some great post to this thread. The common theme being respect. Respect for instructors, seniors, juniors, self, country, and the workout area. I was hoping people would add to the list of what we pay respect to. Or if there were other reasons for the bow. Great topic.

Yeah for me it's a real reverance to the founder of the art, my instructor, and everyone I train with who helps me to get better as a martial artist and person. And when we do kneeling/seiza bow I always keep in mind what my devotion to is in greater scheme of things, and frame my training in that context always, which to me is a prostration of one's self, letting go of agendas in humility, and opening myself to learning and loving. Sort of like my bow is emptying myself of myself so that I can truly grow and be of service.

Sounds corny but I always frame my bows in that light [emoji14]

OP
dvcochran

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah for me it's a real reverance to the founder of the art, my instructor, and everyone I train with who helps me to get better as a martial artist and person. And when we do kneeling/seiza bow I always keep in mind what my devotion to is in greater scheme of things, and frame my training in that context always, which to me is a prostration of one's self, letting go of agendas in humility, and opening myself to learning and loving. Sort of like my bow is emptying myself of myself so that I can truly grow and be of service.

Sounds corny but I always frame my bows in that light [emoji14]
Well said.