How to use muay thai in a street fight?

TheWellWisher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'd ideally like to avoid the confrontation if possible lol. But I guess if it can't be helped i'd front kick thier knees then go for a couple of close range elbows. While making sure I don't get hit by some random haymaker like most people do on the streets.. then I'd get out of there

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know the original question is what techniques/MT weapons you should focus on using in such a scenario but I would still say that, if you seem to have these events/conflicts/persons gravitating towards you, you should also focus more on the core basics of SD (which are not covered to any degree in most sport orientated fight styles). You need to work on your awareness, the image/vibe you portray and radiate, ability to gauge tensions building etc and also you ability, both body language and verbal, to de-escalate confrontations and aggressors.

Sport fighting will give you all the cardio and basic skills if you have to come to grips with an aggressor but do some SD training so that in most instances you don't need to get to this level, maybe also work on cooling off the ego - no offense, I'm not sure why you have recently found these confrontations being attracted to you.

I have competed in full contact karate, judo and freestyle for many years and now supplement this with MT also so am in no way 'dissing' these or other ring styles such as MT in their effectiveness but it was the more traditionally orientated or SD classes with LEOs that increased my "street" awareness so to avoid these problematic encounters. If I were you I would seriously focus on this, alongside your fight training, before putting a knife or something in your back pocket.
best, and good luck!

Inky

White Belt
Reaction score
Have you shared your concerns with your Kru? You may be surprised at the wealth of good information you receive.

I am fortunate enough that my own Kru frequently discusses differences in sports fighting with Muay Thai, street fighting and self defense. Small details about adjusting of tekniques, being well aware of your surroundings, etc....

good luck from Inky, the newest forum no0b.

-steve-

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Honestly, I think allot of you guys n gals are seriously under estimating muay thai's effectiveness in a street fight. Ok, so basically for what ever reason, our thread starter has been getting in a few verbal confrontations, which could possibly have escalated into violence. Now all fights are potentially deadly, but too me it sounds like these "macho men" for whatever reason want to prove their manli-ness by beating this guy up. It sounds to me like typical school yard bullery(is that even a word?). My suggestion would be simple, box them, most of them upon realizing that you can fight and take a comple combos to the head will back off(or get knocked out).Or, as someone mentioned use all that cardio, some fights tend to be some what even, until one of the guys gets tired and the other guy takes advantage of this. I've seen allot of these types of altercations, and allot of times the two guys fighting will become friends after wards. The reason i'm saying this is as regarding people's complaints that muay thai dosen't teach eye pokes or groin strikes and generally is geared towards sport. I dunno about you guys but I would have to feel like i'm in some serious danger to kick some one in the nads or poke their eyes out. Is some ones eye sight or use of their balls really worth what could be only a minor scuffle? There's no honor in being a dirty fighter, unless u feel seriously threated I wouldnt pull such potentially life damaging moves. So if you're pretty sure its going to be a fist fight i'd say box them, stay active, use the clinch for knees if they ttry to grapple you, elbow them in the head. You say you're only 120 lbs but I bet you're fast as ****, use this to you're advantage. Yes muay thai is only a "sport" but it's one of the most brutal of combat sports out there. So unless there's weapons or multi pull attackers involved I'd say a muay thai fighter has a considerable advantage over some douche bag bully.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd like to first say i am a huge supporter of keeping fights in the ring or cage. Ive actually never been in a streetfight, nor do i want to. But.. This month alone, ive had 3 different confrontations that couldve easily became violent. And now i feel like it wont be long till i have to defend myself without gloves or rules. Keep in mind i didnt instigate any of these confrontations. Im a quiet reserved guy, so those situations take tolls on me. I do muay thai, and my niche so to speak is more of a brawlers type of fight. I take alot of hits, and i like getting my hands dirty and putting it all on the line. So i realize... This isnt exactly the smartest thing to do in a real fight. And honestly i believe i wouldnt have a problem defending myself against anyone my size. Unfortunately, people my size arent the problem. Im 120. Its the bigger guys or guys with other people with them that like to get violent or physical. So.. With the tools taught in muay thai, whats the most practical, effective way of self defense? Thanks.

One thing some people who train muay thai fail to take andvantage of is the force of forward motion coupled with elbows, knees and/or push kicks... Some get caught up in kicking with the shins to the legs torso and head and boxing... Some forsake the benfits of the power and devastaion behind the knees and elbows... Not only can they be deployed from distance but they can be deployed torso to torso... They are one of the hardest points of the body and can be utilized from various angles which often times are outside the opponents peripheral vision... Knees and elbows are some of the best ambush body weapons we have...

Do yourself a favor and supersize your muay thai training by targeting and embrace the benefits of elbows and knees...
Learn to use the body weapons you have to create injuries becuase thats the only thing that means anything "outside the ring"... Every human is equal within the realm of injury becuase it disrupts the neurological and physiological function long enough for you to continue youe work or get the hell out...
Not all injuries are mortal or permanently debilitating... The situation will dictate the force application of course and not all situations require a broken neck or crushed windpipe...

Akira

Green Belt
Reaction score
Elbows and knees can be deployed from distance hey? Maybe if you're 8 feet tall.

-steve-

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
knees at a distance I can see. Jumping knees and the like. elbows from a distance is another story, unless you are really tall i don't see you pulling off an elbow from a distance, unless you do a spinning back elbow or go all ong bak on them and do some crazy jumping elbow to the head and knee to the body. My 2 cents..

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you can see it being done with the knees then you should be able to see it done with the elbows....
Its pretty conceivable and very doable but if you train to advance with only part of your inseam then I can see where one would run into trouble if they were standing a few feet away...

Akira

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes you can throw flying knees and elbows but are you really going to do it in a fight outside the ring? I'd much rather keep both feet on the ground and not put all my momentum into one attacking technique. People can grab you differently then they can in the ring and once they're choking you or the fight goes to ground, unless you have some other MA training you're ****ed.

Much better to keep upright, centered, good stance and in control imo.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
No one said to fly thru the air .... If you lead with your entire inseam when you advance then you can land an elbow from distance easily...On top of that, your entire body weight will be behind the blow....

Rob2109

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
unless you do a spinning back elbow or go all ong bak on them and do some crazy jumping elbow to the head

I'd do a back-flip while kicking them in the head like Streetfighter 2, then jump up and kick all three of them in slow motion!
Obviously the tactics would change if elephant bones were handy. ;)

EMT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Muay Thai is good for street fighting but you have to remember about three important things:

#1 Don't let the fight to end up on the ground
#2 If you have to face more than one opponent keep them in front of you (avoid being surrounded at all cost) and always have a safe space behind you (so you can move back and won't get sucker punched from behind)
#3 If you're fighting with more than one guy move around a lot and especially move backwards and let them strike and then stop and retaliate and move back again. This way their strikes will not be very powerful since your backwards motion will make them weaker and yours are going to be more powerful since you stopped to strike while they moved towards you

6 reasons why Muay Thai is good for self defense

Latest Discussions