How to take your opponent down without getting yourself in a headlock

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like what everyone has said, Let's not forget that once you commit to the movement, Plow through 'em. :)

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Level change is not Kazushi.

Level change fits into the Tsukuri part of the Kazushi-Tsukuri-Nage (Balance Breaking-Fitting the bodies together-Throwing) sequence.

The Kuzushi mentioned so far is the punches to the face. I've used pushing the opponents arm across their face in Judo because the Gi blocks their vision.

Level change is about getting lower than them - especially your hips. For a good single or double leg you have to do this undetected - thus the distraction, or prevent them from dropping as fast as you which is the point of the more standard forms of Judo Kuzushi. If you are obvious about the level change you will get blocked and countered or headlocked - depending on your rules.

N

NotQuiteDead

Great thread. I can demonstrate/explain double legs pretty well, but when I use them I always get sloppy and lean forward.

I can't remember what it's called, but there is a type of double leg that I learned in wrestling that prevents getting caught in guillotines. Instead of putting your head to one side of their body, you put it right in the middle. You reach around them and block the backs of their knees and their calves with your forearms and just drive through them. Unless you hop into side mount quick you'll probably end up in their guard, though.

J

JDenz

There are a varity of diffrent shots and finishes that you can do that will keep you out of guillitines of a normal person. There are people that are really good at slaping them on so you have to be good at jumping to the side so you don't get finished. If you are iniating all of the takedowns you should expect to get caught in a head lock about 25 percent of the time. As long as you are good at defense you should be happy to be in that position it gives you a free pass and an attempt at an arm lock.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would take a little time to analyze the BJJ double leg. your back is straight when shooting, your hands are up for choke and striking defense. if you miss, stand up.

G

ghostdog2

I agree with an earlier post: getting caught in a headlock may be the result of shooting from too far. Or, paradoxically, from trying to shoot while too close and giving up your head because your level change was sloppy.
Trying to keep my head tight against my opponent's outside leg seems to help me. That and sucking the leg in and up as quickly as posssible. If your initial step disrupts your opponent's balance, you're half way home and he has little chance for a headlock. That first step should be deep and powerful, I think.
BTW, college wrestlers now drill a sort of double shoot. Hard to describe, but they assume their opp. will sprawl and block the first attempt, so they shoot, flop and shoot again in one quick sequence.Impressive to watch.

Latest Discussions