How to punch more effectively ?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just curious, why did you point this out?
The glasses don't look like athletic glasses, which may affect the way that you punch at the face. I can't imagine someone willingly wanting to punch their classmate in the face while they have glasses on. It would explain why those punches were so far out.

The other issue with the glasses is that your classmate would have the understanding that his classmates will actively try not to hit him in the face.

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
*looks at my $400 glasses* (inc price of frames)
...yeah, no freakin' way i'd wear these in a spar :D

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
The glasses don't look like athletic glasses, which may affect the way that you punch at the face. I can't imagine someone willingly wanting to punch their classmate in the face while they have glasses on. It would explain why those punches were so far out.

The other issue with the glasses is that your classmate would have the understanding that his classmates will actively try not to hit him in the face.

Ah yes, he wears them every time he spars. It's odd, my instructor is all about safety but let's him wear those. He wore them to a tournament one year and his opponent punched the right off his face. I can't remember if they broke or not, nonetheless he didn't wear them for the rest of the tournament. I tend not to punch too much to face area in general, but he has had his glasses kicked out of place several times.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ah yes, he wears them every time he spars. It's odd, my instructor is all about safety but let's him wear those. He wore them to a tournament one year and his opponent punched the right off his face. I can't remember if they broke or not, nonetheless he didn't wear them for the rest of the tournament. I tend not to punch too much to face area in general, but he has had his glasses kicked out of place several times.
At my school if a classmates wants to spar with glasses on then his or her opponent is not allowed to punch at or towards the face. I think that only happened once and after that they just took them off and rather deal with impaired vision. He should invest in some sports goggles or buy a full cage head gear.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some random thoughts, in no particular order.

At the 1:27 mark, with your left leg forward, you throw a spin kick. You might want to try working on this: Bait him. While in that stance, open yourself up for his right leg kick. As his kick comes, block it with your lead arm/hand and use the blocking motion as part of your spin. If you get used to an initial blocking motion that's quick, it will propel you, and your spin kick will hit him before his kicking leg even touches back to the floor. It's really easy if you work on it.

At the 33, 55, 56, 1:13, 1:33, 1:43, 2:00 marks you are using your kicks to charge a toll! (Nice) You are making him pay for his movement. You're intercepting him. I know you guys are light sparring, and that's fine, but just put a little more "oomph" into those kicks that intercept. Not so he'll respect them (which he will) but to prevent injury to yourself. It's really important to do this. Really, really important.

Now - as the guys have said, you might be using your punches to set up your kicks, but it's actually a movement of your arms extending that's trying to set up your kicks - because we both know you aren't expecting those "punches" to hit him. And neither is he.

Better this session, but you guys are still kind of taking turns throwing kicks, - with no payment required. At least as far as punches are concerned. You might want to try this - get all "karate guy" at some points. You know, assume a stationary stance, locked and loaded, tense with fast twitch just screaming to be let go. Dare him to kick, just dare him. Let him kick - then just as he starts, slide in, step in, blast in, whatever and punch to HIT HIM. Reach in, lean in, slide in, even throw yourself at him if you have to, but punch him when he tries to kick. This is an exercise, not a tactic, it's meant to show YOU that you can actually reach a guy with a punch who is about to kick you.

Your right roundhouse kick to the head is going to be a corker in four or five more years. Keep working that sucker, bro.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The range is A LOT better for kicking than previous videos. Your partner now has to actually block your kicks, which he blocked with his face and stomach:). Your kicks don't look stronger, faster, better timed, etc. They look (and are) far more effective because they're being thrown from where they're supposed to be thrown. That one 'minor' adjustment made a huge difference.

You're still well out of range for effective punching. Tony Dismukes hit the nail on the head. Get close enough to put your fist a few inches into your target. Think about punching a wall. Would you put a hole in it if you just struck the surface or it you punched through it? Make your partner's chest (and head, but don't actually punch him in the head) that wall.

When getting to that range, be prepared to get kicked at and taking a few kicks on your way in. Once you're in, I'd bet that your partner will try to shove you back because he can't effectively kick you and will be very uncomfortable.

And yes, you can still kick from very close range, it just takes practice and changing things a little. Here's the range I'm referring to (yes, they're elite fighters, but it gives you a sense of what I mean)...

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
The way I always imagine it is I'm not punching at a target I'm punching through the target that's how to visualise it whether sparring hitting bags or in the air

Latest Discussions