How to punch more effectively ?

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mr. Buka, I apologize, but i do not understand the reference.
I just betcha that he means that you're throwing kicks when they really have no possibility of reaching, much less striking, the target. So you're expending energy literally doing nothing other than perhaps getting a workout in, rather than actually learning how to put energy on target.

Just a guess....

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mr. Buka, I apologize, but i do not understand the reference.

Give them nothing tale from them everything.

When he kicks you. How do you make him pay for that?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Free admission, free shipping and handling, free consultation, free kicks. Although there are liable to be hidden, small expenses in the first three, there isn't any charge in the kicking.

Regardless of the sparring venue, the rules being used, the great control you and your partners are showing, the kicks are still "free". I know you aren't trying to clobber each other, all you're trying to do is "get the kicks in" or score with them, not in a real scoring tally, just to make them hit a target. But with what is shown, there are only two possible outcomes, they get in or they don't - there is never a fee. You never pay to kick. Let me try to explain what I mean...

If you and I were to spar under the exact same rules, conditions and pace - I'd watch your first kick, maybe two (maybe) and then the toll gate goes up. In watching the first kick, I'd get your tells, your distance and how you like to throw. Then comes the charges, the fees. It's going to cost you to kick, cost you to stand on one leg for that brief instant.

Some kicks
you are going to get jammed, as soon as you to start to kick, I'm coming in fast, regardless of what's coming, I want your balance off, I want you to reset because you're off balance. You'll pay for throwing that kick, you'll pay with a balance deficit and a reset, while I'm coming in combinations.

Some kicks, I'm blocking and countering, immediately, the block being part of the distance close. You'll pay for that kick by either getting hit, or forced to quickly block - which you probably aren't used to in the middle of kicking.

Some times when you kick, you are going to get swept. Right off your feet. Either with a front leg or a back leg, you're going to get swept. Again, the payment is loss of balance - and getting your butt up.

Sometimes...I'm just going to crowd you. I'm staying in your kitchen, forcing you to only punch, because I know you like to kick.
A long time ago, Bill Wallace defended his PKA Championship belt against Ron Thiveridge. Ron could kick like a maniac, one of those TKD monsters, saw him knock a lot of guys heads off. Nasty kicker. I was training with Bill and warned him about Ron's kicks. He laughed. He said, "You think I'm going to let him kick? That'll be the day."
He didn't. Stayed right in his kitchen. Short night for Ron. Long night, too.

Some kicks
- I'm going to be locked and loaded, ready to kick and I not only don't care if you know it, I'd rather like that you do. I'll give you "the tell". because I know you're going to kick, you're kick-centric (hence, this thread) and I'm going to kick right into your kick. Not to hurt, not to embarrass or any of that nonsense, but to throw you off. It's going to suck a little bit for me, too, but I know when it's coming, you don't. You'll pay with balance and timing being off.

You are fighting "one handed". I'm not talking right or left, I'm talking front and rear. You're not using your rear hand at all. Yes, I know, you threw one or two, but that had more to do with your intent to kick when you switched stance than it did about actually getting that hand to hit your partner. You feel comfortable with either side forward, and this is a great thing. (it really is very important) But you are doing it for your comfort as opposed to their discomfort.

You love being in a kicking distance. It's nice, I know, fine real estate that kicking distance. So do your partners. So...ask yourself this, what does a kicker hate? He hates getting jammed, hates his distance getting taken away, hates being crowded, hates things interfering with his kicks, hates getting countered and absolutely hates being out of kicking position/stance. Hates it, hates it, hates it.
When you kicked Mister Green belt in the face....I know you were just letting him work, not really trying to whack him, but that kick wasn't thrown with any more intent than any others you threw, it got in because he was trying to regain his position for kicking, he was casually circling left because he had run out of room.....he was out of position.

In last night's UFC card, the Donald Cerrone fight. Watch the combo he throws at the twenty second mark, watch the kick.

It's no great kick, no better than any of his others last night, but he had moved his opponent out of position with a combination, had him looking down trying to reposition - he must of got a good look at that kick. :) I know MMA is different, but that's an example of punch/kick/position. They are all sisters, regardless of rule set or venue. Same as that kick against Mister Green Belt.

And like the boys already said in this thread.....combinations. If I throw a pebble at you, it might it the mark, it might not, but if I throw a handful of pebbles at you....

So....game plans on improving punches.

No free kicks. Make them pay the toll. Block and counter, all night long. Any time, every time, your hand or arm hits their kicking foot - they should eat at least one punch to the face. It doesn't have to be any harder than you already throw with each other, it just has to be there.

Jam. Crowd.

Make them get out of position. Instead of switching stances to make yourself comfortable, spend a month on switching to make them uncomfortable.

Use your back hand. It's more than just a rudder for kicking balance. And, yes, you can reach them with it, real easy if you work on it. Especially since it doesn't seem to be used a lot. Like drop bear said, your footwork will get you there.

Once in a while, kick right into their kicks. (probably not against your instructor, use everybody else)

Every time they kick....make them pay.

Some days....don't throw any kicks at all. Not one. Punch, just punch, the whole punch and nothing but the punch. And use your back hand, and use it in combinations, three, four and five technique combinations. When you do this - you'll see where a kick would have been perfect in the middle of the combo, and you'll make note of it. I'm not talking boxing, just use punches.

Some days, don't switch stance at all, all night don't switch stance. Whatever side you use, do the other side on other nights.

Might sound like a lot, but it really isn't....because you already have most of the tools.
And working these things is a whole lot of fun.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A big part of what Buka is saying (I think) is MOVE FORWARD when you block a kick. Step inside so that your opponent's kick goes passed you.

Easiest way for me to explain it is against a roundhouse kick -
A right roundhouse kick is coming. Your left arm goes down like a low block to protect your ribs, while your right arm comes up and over to your left side to protect your head. As your hands are moving, you quickly slide straight forward. If you move forward enough, your opponent's foot and shin will be past the target, unable to land; their thigh might hit your arms.

Against a front kick, same thing, only angle forward while pushing their leg out of the way with your blocking arm. Push the kicking leg so that it exposes their ribs and/or back, rather than their chest and stomach; basically spinning them so they can't counter.

Either way, it's pretty much open season on punching their body and/or head. So much easier said than done.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if you have been following my posts then you know that I have been struggling to not only incorporate punches into my sparring game, but to use those punches effectively.

Here are some issues that I see myself consistently having.

In this video I am sparring one of our Green Belts, I haven't sparred him much this summer ( maybe 4 times). So I am not use to him at all (this is a good thing). He has no style yet he usually experiments with different techniques so I haven't really seen any pattern that he does. One thing I do know is that his sparring strategy consists of 99% kicks.

So here is my issue:
I threw approx. 8 punches and 16 kicks this match.

I find myself punching with no purpose or effectiveness, I notice that my punches have 3 goals in mind.
1. Punch so I know I am punching during Sparring
2. Punch to fill space between my opponent and I
3. Punch to distract my opponent from the barrage of kicks I am about to throw.

How do I get close enough to effectively punch someone who is throwing nonstop kicks at you?

In this video I am sparring my instructor again. Sorry I know watching me spar my instructor so much probably gets really boring :/. In this match I was able to throw about 15 punches and 15-18 kicks. So my technique volume was right at about 50/50. With that being said, I don't think my punches were effective, but they do seem to be more effectively thrown than my match against our green belt. I feel that the majority of the time I punch, my instructor jams my arm with swats.

how do I close the distance on people that have quick counter kicks?

Any feedback/help would be greatly appreciated.
Along with what others have posted, I'd point out one obvious problem with counting techniques and looking for an optimal mix: different opponents present different openings. The green belt student seemed to give you very easy openings for your kicks (what you're most used to), which made going for punches (something you're less comfortable with) unlikely. If you really want to change your frequency of usage, take away your kicks. Get your instructor's permission to try this, but go into a sparring session with the intent of using no kicks, regardless of the outcome. Don't tell your partner (so they don't know the advantage they have and won't be guarding only against punches). You may need to find someone who can work on punch-only sparring with you on the side - someone who does some punch-heavy sparring.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Buka covered most of what I wanted to say and more. Very good advice.

The main thing I'll emphasize is that you need to get psychologically comfortable being at closer range. Right now, both you and your sparring partners are hanging out just at the very end of long distance kicking range. When your partner kicks, you back up every time. After you finish your own kicks, you back up. All of your punches are way out of range. Sometimes you'll even throw kicks from out of range.

There are lots of ways to close the gap. Move towards your opponent as you block his kicks instead of backing up. Cut angles. Step forward as you finish your kicking combinations instead of backing out. Rush your opponent as he retracts his kick. Crowd him from the get-go, so he has a hard time even getting his kicks off. Regardless of how you get there, the important thing is that you recognize the range where your punches will have the advantage over your opponent's kicks and that you feel comfortable hanging out there.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
n this video I am sparring one of our Green Belts, I haven't sparred him much this summer ( maybe 4 times). So I am not use to him at all (this is a good thing). He has no style yet he usually experiments with different techniques so I haven't really seen any pattern that he does.
When you are fighting you want to control the fight and understand your opponent as soon as possible. One of the ways you can do this is by paying attention to how your opponent reacts to your movement and your attacks. You should also take note of you opponent's preferred stance.

Analysis of your Green Belt Opponent:
He prefers to stand with his good kicking leg forward so he's a power forward type of guy. He also prefers lead leg kicks and closed stances. Fighting him in an open stance (mirror stance) seems to give him some trouble so I would definitely try to fighting him in an open stance. If my assumption is correct that he likes closed stances then you should see him switch into a closed stance by habit, which will cause him to put his left leg forward, which looks like is his weak kicking leg. Your best defense was when you were in an open stance. If you watch the video you can see his energy level for attack drop.

The other thing you can do is not move back so far when trying to avoid a punch or kick. You guys have the habit of kicking and punching at the hands. You should exploit that habit by holding your guard away from your body. Holding your guard away from your body currently your hands are to close to your body. Think back to your forms and the distance your hands are away from your body when you are doing blocks and guards. Pay attention to how your close your hands are when you do your forms. Are they resting on your stomach?

When I spar I test my opponents habit by watching how he responds to me. Once I know how he's going to react to me then I can trigger that reaction and take advantage of it. An easy thing that you can do is kick the Green Belt low on his thigh. If you notice that he drops his guard when you kick low then take advantage of that.

I find myself punching with no purpose or effectiveness, I notice that my punches have 3 goals in mind.
1. Punch so I know I am punching during Sparring
2. Punch to fill space between my opponent and I
3. Punch to distract my opponent from the barrage of kicks I am about to throw.
#1 is no good, replace that with a better goal, #2 is no good so replace that as well. Based on your videos you accomplished both of those goals and none of those landed.

#3 You have to sell the punch. That punch has to come in as if it's going to land on their face and not their gloves. Goals #1 and #2 prevent #3 from working properly.

How do I get close enough to effectively punch someone who is throwing nonstop kicks at you?
Easy move forward quickly when he kicks. Even if you get hit by the kick, it won't have power to. Your body position should be such that it allows you to quickly move forward once you see the kick starting the launch. If you look at your footwork and leg position you are mostly positioned for a retreat and not an advance.

There are only 2 ways to close a gap. You either move forward or allow your opponent to move forward while you hold your ground.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We are not allowed to catch or sweep. Long story short someone did that to my instructor a long time ago while they were sparring and he seriously injured his shoulder, so he doesn't allow it.
That statement should be in your profile pic.. lol

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A fight is not you punch me and I punch you back. You kick me and I kick you back. A fight is

- How to enter, and
- How to finish.

What's your "entering strategy" and "finish strategy"? All your "entering strategy - set up" should lead to your "finish strategy". For example, if your "finish strategy" is as simple as "fist meets face", how will you make that to happen? How will you create a chance so your fist can pass through both of his arms and meet on his face?

Can you set up as:

- jab, cross, hook?
- back fist, arm guide, straight punch?
- round house kick, side kick, spin back fist?
- low round house kick, arm jam, hook punch?

You need to have a "plan" and stick to your "plan".

Last edited:

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
How do you close on someone who's trying to kick you? In my mind, the easiest way would be to calmly walk forward. That way you don't impale yourself on anything, and you start punching when your body is close enough to theirs (and no earlier.)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the easiest way would be to calmly walk forward.

In Latin, I believe it would be sedentem anatis.

In fighter's parlance it would be -

original-ef713f4cbf08cc19622919b4a954dadf.jpg

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How do you close on someone who's trying to kick you? In my mind, the easiest way would be to calmly walk forward. That way you don't impale yourself on anything, and you start punching when your body is close enough to theirs (and no earlier.)
You may still take some risk. What if you can't fool him? IMO, there are many safer ways.

- Front kick at your opponent's belly.
- Foot sweep (or roundhouse kick at) his leading leg.
- Stomp on the knee of his leading leg.

As long as you can use your leg to

- "jam" your opponent's leading leg,
- put him in defense mode, and
- force him to react,

he will forget (or not be able) to kick you when you enter. Offense is the best defense.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taking that kick (assuming a mis-read) just a bit inside where he expected you to be is much worse than taking it far inside where he expected you to be. Assuming you can read kicks reasonably well, a strong entry is preferable to a sedate one.

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Taking that kick (assuming a mis-read) just a bit inside where he expected you to be is much worse than taking it far inside where he expected you to be. Assuming you can read kicks reasonably well, a strong entry is preferable to a sedate one.

Yes! And likewise, we can impale ourselves by moving forward in a committed fashion~ Such is fighting.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes! And likewise, we can impale ourselves by moving forward in a committed fashion~ Such is fighting.
"Impale" would only apply with a weapon (actually, a pointy weapon). I cannot impale myself on a kick. If an opponent is trying to kick me in the abdomen at, say 3 feet (about 1m), that's where the power is (assuming he's kicking well). If he hits me 3 inches (1/12 of the original distance) inside that, the power may be reduced, but not dramatically. If I am 18 inches (1/2 of the original distance) closer, I can walk right into that kick (again, assuming it's intended for 36" distance) and it won't have any power. In fact, it is more likely to off-balance him than to damage me.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Impale" would only apply with a weapon (actually, a pointy weapon). I cannot impale myself on a kick. If an opponent is trying to kick me in the abdomen at, say 3 feet (about 1m), that's where the power is (assuming he's kicking well). If he hits me 3 inches (1/12 of the original distance) inside that, the power may be reduced, but not dramatically. If I am 18 inches (1/2 of the original distance) closer, I can walk right into that kick (again, assuming it's intended for 36" distance) and it won't have any power. In fact, it is more likely to off-balance him than to damage me.

The further you have to move. The more obvious you are and therefore the easier it is to be countered.

If you move forwards aggressively he has more time and distance in which to impale you with a kick.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score

Exactly, especially in a real world fight. There you don't have fighters coming from "neutral" corners. Usually (unless you are the *******), the fight starts with someone already in your personal space, trying to intimidate, chest bump, shove, etc.(if you are the ******* that is what you are doing) once that initial contact happens act damnit. If he tries to kick you anywhere but the knee, maybe, he is off balance and you win.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Exactly, especially in a real world fight. There you don't have fighters coming from "neutral" corners. Usually (unless you are the *******), the fight starts with someone already in your personal space, trying to intimidate, chest bump, shove, etc.(if you are the ******* that is what you are doing) once that initial contact happens act damnit. If he tries to kick you anywhere but the knee, maybe, he is off balance and you win.

You can fight on the outside in the real world. I mean ok. Sometimes you will get caught. But using footwork to maintain distance works everywhere.

If you are caught in the pocket or the inside you can use methods to put you back outside if you want.

This notion comes up all the time and it is false.