How to know when you've left your Gi in your car far too long

R

RyuShiKan

I take mine out when it starts driving around by itself..........just have to catch it first.

K

Kenpo_student

lol those are hilarious. I grappled with that guy a couple times. It was horrible. I tapped from a chest smother just to get away from him.

H

hubris

Scuse me for showing my iggnerrence, but what the heck is a Gi? I'm a tai chi person, and the worst thing I experience in class is bad breath (see above) or smelly feet. ("Puh-leeze - do the form in your shoes! You can advance to doing the form in your socks as soon as you clean those puppies up.")

Regards,

Mrs. Hubris Nimby

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A Gi is a karate uniform.... ya know, the white or black (usually) pajama like things that most japanese and american style martial artists wear (there are exceptions, of course)

see below...

Attachments

• $karate4.jpg
    $karate4.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 250
H

hubris

Ah! Yes, I've seen those things. When I go into the Borders in a local mall to enjoy an expresso and a browse through the latest best sellers, sometimes a terrifying thing happens. Suddenly a army of tots wearing similar clothing comes tearing through the mall screaming and whining and begging for McDonalds. There is a McDonalds at one end of the mall, and a McDojo at the other end. Convenient, eh? On days when they have birthday parties at the McDojo it gets ugly, honey. Real ugly. Mutant Ninja Tot Warriors.

H

hubris

One Saturday the Mutant Ninja McDojo Tots were running wild having ketchup fights outside the McDonalds. They took those little packets of ketchup and squirted them on each other pretending it was blood. Where the heck were the parents? Where the hell was the teacher/sensei/master whatever the right term is from the school? In the burbs where I live there are fleets of SUV's containing hoards of Mutant Ninja McDojo Tots. I thought that Gi thing was the latest fashion from kiddie Gap. What are all these kids doing in their pajamas? (I wondered.) What is the most effective weapon against these creatures?

:soapbox:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
unfortunately, the best weapon against these children is the one weapon you don't have... parental discipline.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mutant Ninja Tot Warriors....

SHUDDER!

Y'all are scaring me......:eek:

I don't know which would be worse.....whiney 'jr blackbelts' from the mcdojo....or 'slow' adults who are also clumsy, overweight, and/or poor grooming....

or worse...both. GAH!!!!:erg: :anic: :barf:

H

hubris

Here's what I don't understand: parents say that they want their kids to "do martial arts" to learn discipline. Where's the discipline? Maybe I'm just noticing the hell raisers. Also, the parents around here get real nasty when their kids don't get promoted to the next level, or whatever. One thing is for sure, these spoiled brat Mutant Ninja McDojo Tots have Gis that are cleaner than clean. Mom, or the maid, or the au pair puts the Gis in the wash with optical brighteners, fabric softener etc. and then irons the things so that the McTot can look fabulous, darling.

It's interesting to learn about different martial arts on this board. I've stuck to tai chi, and we don't have all the belts and tests that other arts have. I'd like to take on another MA, but there are so many of them!

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

unfortunately, there are a significant number of parents out there who rely on schools and martial arts studios to provide discipline and guidance to their children. Its very strange when little Bobby comes home with an "F" on his report card, and Mrs. PTA Parent throws a fit and blames the teacher, disregarding that the teacher had called home numerous times, sent home not one but THREE progress reports (which came back signed but with no other response) and that little Bobby had not done ONE SINGLE homework assignment all quarter. Somehow it was MY fault that he couldn't pass my class, even though I tried EVERYTHING (including giving him detention every day after school to try to make him sit and do his homework...which also put myself in detention, because I could've been driving home at that time and missing the rush hour traffic, but NO, I had to stay with Bobby, who STILL refused to do homework).

Some parents (definitely not all, but a percentage enough to be noticed) are leaving very important parenting issues to schools. Schools are now responsible for getting children to do their homework, develop self esteem and self discipline, and teach children about sex. I taught a creative writing class where the class was split into two groups, so I only had twelve or so in class at a time, and the kids became a pretty tight knit group, and lots of subjects came up in class...you'd be shocked to discover that only three girls out of the fifteen or so that were in my EIGHTH grade class had had "the talk" with their moms (or dads). and NONE of the boys had had their fathers or mothers talk to them. One of them had never even heard of AIDS. And we wonder why children are behaving irresponsibly?!

sigh.

-Nightingale, stepping off her soapbox now...

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I totally agree with you, nightingale...there are far too many parents around who should not be parents.

In the county I lived in a few years ago, if a student didn't want to be in school, all they had to do was act up and they would get suspended. Back when I was in school students did not talk back to teachers, and the certainly never beat or shot them.

In a lot of cities, teachers are no longer educators, just highly underpaid babysitters. Apparently, the kids' parents are too busy to be bothered with trivial things like raising their own damn children.

And that sickens me.

Cthulhu

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472

unfortunately, there are a significant number of parents out there who rely on schools and martial arts studios to provide discipline and guidance to their children. Its very strange when little Bobby comes home with an "F" on his report card, and Mrs. PTA Parent throws a fit and blames the teacher, disregarding that the teacher had called home numerous times, sent home not one but THREE progress reports (which came back signed but with no other response) and that little Bobby had not done ONE SINGLE homework assignment all quarter. Somehow it was MY fault that he couldn't pass my class, even though I tried EVERYTHING (including giving him detention every day after school to try to make him sit and do his homework...which also put myself in detention, because I could've been driving home at that time and missing the rush hour traffic, but NO, I had to stay with Bobby, who STILL refused to do homework).

Some parents (definitely not all, but a percentage enough to be noticed) are leaving very important parenting issues to schools. Schools are now responsible for getting children to do their homework, develop self esteem and self discipline, and teach children about sex. I taught a creative writing class where the class was split into two groups, so I only had twelve or so in class at a time, and the kids became a pretty tight knit group, and lots of subjects came up in class...you'd be shocked to discover that only three girls out of the fifteen or so that were in my EIGHTH grade class had had "the talk" with their moms (or dads). and NONE of the boys had had their fathers or mothers talk to them. One of them had never even heard of AIDS. And we wonder why children are behaving irresponsibly?!

sigh.

-Nightingale, stepping off her soapbox now...

Not to just sing the chorus, BUT! Repeat the above posts!

My Quote that many people do not understand is "Some Peoples' Parents!" This is usually said in response to "Gosh, would you look at those Kids?"

When I was in college years ago, I brought to work some educational documents on sex and sexual transmitted diseases. I had to leave it behind the counter, when I left to help someone. When I came back it was always gone. No matter how many copies I would bring, they would disappear. Finally I found out that other college and high school students were reading the material to educate themselves.

The amount of sexual transmitted diseases and pregnancies in teenagers in countries that have true sexual education and discuss it at home and at school is way below that of the USA. Yet, all the people who claim they do not want their children to learn about it are the first to complain when something does happen. Yes they are young adults, but if you give them information they might surprise you and make a responsible decision, especially if they have learned cause and effect and responsibilities for their actions.

Sorry for my Rant

Rich
:(

H

hubris

So, how exactly do you wash a Gi? Can you just put it in a washing machine with cup full of Tide? Do you have to use the special unscented, allergen free, not tested on animals kind of detergent? Or do you have to take the thing to a clear running river and beat the Gi on rocks with a natural bristle brush until it gets clean? If using an automatic clothes drier is permitted, which cycle do you use? Permanent press, Low? Do you iron it, or is that considered disrespectful? Thanks in advance for your help.

Mrs. Hubris Nimby

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it depends on which schol you go to. I'm sure that some out there consider washing the gi a bigger sin than washing your belt.

I recomend washing all gi parts (jacket, pants and belt) on cold, with a mild detergent and tumble drying....note, belt may shrink from washing. Good time to play tug o war with it to stretch it back out to a fittable size. :D

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
it depends on the gi...

I wash my workout gi like twice a week or after a particularly hard workout with just tide or something. Every so often, since its black, I'll get a couple of bottles of black RIT dye and dye it back to black, since I don't like it gray.

My competition gi gets drycleaned, since the pants are white with a red stripe down the side, and I'd prefer they stay white rather than pink.

H

hubris

Very wise, Nightengale. Red has a terrible tendency to run. You know, put one red shirt in with a load of laundry - everything comes out pink. I thought that some black belts washed their belts numerous times (cheaters!) to make it look as if they have had a balck belt a long time. Sorry if I'm mixing up my terms here. I am a suburban tai chi player, with numerous suburban concerns, such as laundry and eliminating the use of leaf blowers.

Regards,

Mrs. Hubris Nimby

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well, tradition holds that you never wash a belt, because you're "washing the knowledge out"

personally, although I don't "wash" my belts per se, when I get a new one, I soak it in water and fabric softener for a while, so it will not be stiff and will stay tied. That's the only time my belt gets washed, unless something gets spilled on it or something like that.

K

Kirk

Originally posted by nightingale8472

well, tradition holds that you never wash a belt, because you're "washing the knowledge out"

personally, although I don't "wash" my belts per se, when I get a new one, I soak it in water and fabric softener for a while, so it will not be stiff and will stay tied. That's the only time my belt gets washed, unless something gets spilled on it or something like that.

And do you have the shrinkage problem?

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
fabric usually won't shrink if you don't put it in the dryer. Let it air dry.