How to certify a student??

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I was a 1st Gup red belt, my original instructor had been completely checked out for over a year
Not exactly the same situation, but this is (I believe) a big reason why I wasn't able to get my 4th degree before I moved. My Master stopped having time to give me private lessons, kept pushing back my test dates.

He rarely taught the requirements we needed to learn at 3rd degree. Most of what my only peer (the other guy with as many gups as me) learned was from me. Most of what the other 3rd degrees learned (those with 0 or 1 gup) they learned from me. And when it came time to teach me something new, he didn't bother practicing it first, so every time he showed me he got something wrong. I know this because after doing something with him for the 5th time in a 5th way, I commented on it, and he said, "Oh yeah, I haven't done this in a while so I'm out of practice."

I believe that's a big part of why I'm in the situation I'm in now. In hindsight, maybe I shouldn't have told him I was planning on moving away after getting my 4th degree, but I also don't know that I could have done so in good conscience.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I had to laugh at that. I am Not blowing my horn, but with the exception of possibly @DirtyDog (and would need that confirmed), I imagine in am one of the more tenured KKW people on this site or most others. I have been with Kukkiwon since 1982, so no young buck with them, and have been training TKD (and other styles) for 45 years.
Just to clarify, we are primarily a Moo Duk Kwan system. We do offer KKW certification, but not many of our students go that route.
How long have you been training?
I started in 1968 or '69. My original TKD training was ITF.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just to clarify, we are primarily a Moo Duk Kwan system. We do offer KKW certification, but not many of our students go that route.
Yeah but you know more about KKW than I do, even though my certificates have specifically been from KKW. You have closer connections than I do (I've always gone through my Master as an intermediary), you're higher rank certified there, and you've simply been around and active for more of the history than I have.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah but you know more about KKW than I do, even though my certificates have specifically been from KKW. You have closer connections than I do (I've always gone through my Master as an intermediary), you're higher rank certified there, and you've simply been around and active for more of the history than I have.
I don't see the point you are trying to make. Can you clarify?

The common theme I see in most of the conversation is the element of time. Time in grade at a reputable school (even if it is different from what you may be used to) to get your credentials.
If there is a short-cut to this, I am not aware of it.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't see the point you are trying to make. Can you clarify?

The common theme I see in most of the conversation is the element of time. Time in grade at a reputable school (even if it is different from what you may be used to) to get your credentials.
If there is a short-cut to this, I am not aware of it.
He was qualifying that he's a MDK guy, not a KKW guy. I was saying that he's still got a strong personal understanding of KKW and its history.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Currently Kukkiwon requires all certifying instructors must take the master and examiner course. After that your students will need to create a Tcon account. After that you can fill out the recommender form for their 1st dan with their Tcon ID and send it in with payment to get their certificate.
I assume the OP is in the States. Do you know where/when the next Master Course will be held?

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
So I am going to be a senior in College next year. I am a 4th dan and am the head coach for my schools tkd club. I want to certify some students next year with Kukkiwon for 1st Dan. How do I do that including what forms to fill out and steps to take?
Haven't posted here forever, but let me try to help. Sir. You have to have a Kukkiwon T-Con KMS account and have Kukkiwon Dan/Poom Recommender status to recommend your students for Kukkiwon dan/poom certification. Under current regulations you will need to be (at minimum) a Kukkiwon certified 3rd Class International Master Instructor, in addition to being a 4th Dan (at minimum) to obtain that status. And processing dan.poom recommendation and payment to the Kukkiwon is all done electronically now, through your T-Con KMS account, after you've tested your students. All the student you intend to test need to have their own Kukkiwon T-Con accounts. You can check all the Kukki tkd teachers who have T-Con KMS status on the Kukkiwon T-Con website: Tcon | Tcon Info> Find a DO-JANG

Last edited:

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Haven't posted here forever, but let me try to help. Sir. You have to have a Kukkiwon T-Con KMS account and have Kukkiwon Dan/Poom Recommender status to recommend your students for Kukkiwon dan/poom certification. Under current regulations you will need to be (at minimum) a Kukkiwon certified 3rd Class International Master Instructor, in addition to being a 4th Dan (at minimum) to obtain that status. And processing dan.poom recommendation and payment to the Kukkiwon is all done electronically now, through your T-Con KMS account, after you've tested your students. All the student you intend to test need to have their own Kukkiwon T-Con accounts. You can check all the Kukki tkd teachers who have T-Con KMS status on the Kukkiwon T-Con website: Tcon | Tcon Info> Find a DO-JANG
@ricecow, when you get all the needed accreditation yourself, I strongly suggest you go through the process with only one (very understanding) person first. It can feel like a daunting process the first few times and is rather easy to make mistakes with. Communication has always been slow and somewhat difficult with KKW so learning the ropes can be slow as well.

@Archtkd, fantastic explanation.

Latest Discussions