How similar is Hapkido to aikido?

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Maint, Jan 3, 2016.

1. oftheherd1

oftheherd1 Senior Master

It was one of the kicks, all of which we learned from the beginning, that was taught in the Hapkido I learned. But remember, I studied in the mid-60s, and there wasn't much Tae Kwon Do in the USA, at least to my knowledge. Most people had heard of Karate or perhaps Kung Fu. When I mentioned TKD to people, I usually had to tell them it was like a Korean Karate, so they had a way to understand at least a little. :p

2. oftheherd1

oftheherd1 Senior Master

I don't know that I could even correctly break it down that way. We learned techniques. It started with wrist locks, first seven strikes, which were strikes to the openent's arm, then to some part of his body. Next came breaks, which usually meant joint locks, and which usually ended with a strike. Then came throws, which might or might not include a break/joint lock, leading into a throw. After we learned blocks to strikes, the block might lead to a strike, break, or a throw.

Given that, to say we used breaks a certain amount of time, without mentioning ending them with a strike, or that a break might precede a throw, would skew what percentages we did.

3. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog MT Senior Moderator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    A fair number of people who taught TKD in the 60's called it Korean Karate for exactly that reason.

• Like Like x 1