How silly are the Olympics...pretty darn silly.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dunno. Curling's pretty goddam silly. In fact, I'm pretty sure if you look up "silly" in the English Language Technical Manual, there's a picture of two guys in skates on the ice with brooms in their hands, skating backwards in front of a big 'ol rock...:lfao:

But I LIKE Curling! :D

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I absolutely love the spectacle of the Olympics and but I would rather it was not just a few miles from where I am living!! Anywhere but here!! :) The reality of it (for me anyways) is that life here in London is going to be crazy difficult.. the tube and the trains are going to be chaotic.. traffic will be more murderous than ever and we even have missiles located not so far away either like what is all that about?? I have heard a lot about terrorist attack planned here also??

Current highest estimated cost for the taxpayer of UK is £24Bn ($37Bn) I am surely no economic expert and but even me I can think of a few more useful things to do with that kind of denaro.. oh well :)

Oh I wonder how many people knew the Olympic torch relay was a Nazi Party propaganda stunt for the Berlin olympics?? I did not know this until recent..

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I absolutely love the spectacle of the Olympics and but I would rather it was not just a few miles from where I am living!! Anywhere but here!! :) The reality of it (for me anyways) is that life here in London is going to be crazy difficult.. the tube and the trains are going to be chaotic.. traffic will be more murderous than ever and we even have missiles located not so far away either like what is all that about?? I have heard a lot about terrorist attack planned here also??

Current highest estimated cost for the taxpayer of UK is £24Bn ($37Bn) I am surely no economic expert and but even me I can think of a few more useful things to do with that kind of denaro.. oh well :)

Oh I wonder how many people knew the Olympic torch relay was a Nazi Party propaganda stunt for the Berlin olympics?? I did not know this until recent..

Don't forget the £278million payable to G4S so they can ruin soldier's weddings, honeymoons and leave etc. We have soldiers from here gone down during their leave, they'll come back and go to Afghan without having had any time with their families.
For those that are unaware, the G4S company was given the contract for the security of the games, last week they said they couldn't provide the security officers after all so the military and extra police were drafted in but the company is still expecting to be paid it's management fee of £57million.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18866153
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18898646

A lot of the military who have been drafted in have just received their redundacy notices some of them were still in Afghan when they got them ( no leave for them either they've been drafted in for the Olympics) The government made many Border Agency officer redundant hence the long queues at airports so have taken staff from an MOD agency to cover the shortfall, however the MOD is releasing many of us, I go next year. While many of us will enjoy the Olympics the official antics have left a sour taste in the mouth.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You're either a troll or clueless. Maybe both.

Part of humanity is the pursuit of physical and athletic excellence and it's inherent in the martial arts. Without it martial arts aren't present. That is what the Olympics is all about.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally, the Olympic events were ones useful in warfare. Discus, javelin, thrown weapons, archery, obvious, marathon, running away is such an important skill, our military still practices to run.
I would love to see an International Military games with events using modern weapons and tactics and limited to active duty military members.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think most of the events are pointless. If people want to do them, fine, but running around a track for no other reason than to beat a certain time is meaningless to me. The triple hop jump event was even sillier looking. At least with team sports like football, baseball and basketball, there is a yearly market for people interested in them. I don't like those either, but there is a point in that there are people willing to pay to see those every year, in large numbers. Track and field after high school is just silly.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, I'm glad we have cable now. It was horrible when the Olympics were on in the "olden" times, when we just had three networks and the Olympics were on.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Love the Olympics. I'm breaking my TV fast and getting my cable reconnected specifically to watch them. Looking forward to it :)

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You're either a troll or clueless. Maybe both.

Part of humanity is the pursuit of physical and athletic excellence and it's inherent in the martial arts. Without it martial arts aren't present. That is what the Olympics is all about.

Ugh, excuse my negative tone in this post, chalk it up to waiting in Ontario...

I enjoy the Olympics because I enjoy the pursuit of excellence and I think it's something that should be rewarded and celebrated.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure you watch the Para Olympics too, they are as good if not actually better. The competition is fierce and of a high standard.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess it's hard for me to understand how anyone can consider the pursuit of being the best in the world-at anything-to be silly. Especially someone who does martial arts.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
He's a troll just trying to get a rise out of someone. One of the ultimate measures of excellence we have, only someone who hates greatness can exhibit such an open sneer to greatness. Or just a hate for achievements never to be equaled by him. I can't so it so it's silly.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, I appreciate greatness in many forms, but the triple hop and many other Olympic sports aren't one of them. I remember one year watching the Discovery channel program on Hell Week for the navy SEALS. Right after that I was looking around cable and the Academy awards were on and after watching some of those people, after having watched the recruits going through Hell Week, it made me appreciate "real" excellence in something. The Olympic sports are fine for those doing them, but they have no real world value to me. The things I really admire are for example, Special Forces soldiers of all branches of the military, both in the United States and from the other Western Democracies. Those men, and now women in some cases, are putting their "excellence" to use for something important and real, where the guys doing the triple hop, although great athletes, are not. Even the track and field events the gymnastics and such, yeah, great athletes, but still not doing anything real or important. The men and women of the military, and law enforcement are more interesting to me because their physical skills actually make an impact on the world. Before you mention the charity work and other promotions these athletes do, sure, thats nice. However, the men and women in the military and law enforcement put their lives on the line for other people, everyday, and receive very little in compensation for it. So yes, I still think the Olympics are silly, but respect the athletes as people. I just wish they put that energy to better use.

Hmmm...humping a ruck in the mountains of Afghanistan and taking enemy fire, or doing the triple hop at a beautiful stadium and finishing you day at the Olympic village where you are catered to like a champion race horse...hmmm...yeah, there is a difference.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
H'mm....

Competitions are silly.

Best Ranger

Police & Fire Olympics

While you may or may not appreciate the effort and time that the Olympic athletes put into their training events, the Olympic Ideal and the whole concept of peaceful competition is certainly of worth and merit. If nothing else, it's great reminder just to see what a human being is capable of.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, I appreciate greatness in many forms, but the triple hop and many other Olympic sports aren't one of them. I remember one year watching the Discovery channel program on Hell Week for the navy SEALS. Right after that I was looking around cable and the Academy awards were on and after watching some of those people, after having watched the recruits going through Hell Week, it made me appreciate "real" excellence in something. The Olympic sports are fine for those doing them, but they have no real world value to me. The things I really admire are for example, Special Forces soldiers of all branches of the military, both in the United States and from the other Western Democracies. Those men, and now women in some cases, are putting their "excellence" to use for something important and real, where the guys doing the triple hop, although great athletes, are not. Even the track and field events the gymnastics and such, yeah, great athletes, but still not doing anything real or important. The men and women of the military, and law enforcement are more interesting to me because their physical skills actually make an impact on the world. Before you mention the charity work and other promotions these athletes do, sure, thats nice. However, the men and women in the military and law enforcement put their lives on the line for other people, everyday, and receive very little in compensation for it. So yes, I still think the Olympics are silly, but respect the athletes as people. I just wish they put that energy to better use.

Hmmm...humping a ruck in the mountains of Afghanistan and taking enemy fire, or doing the triple hop at a beautiful stadium and finishing you day at the Olympic village where you are catered to like a champion race horse...hmmm...yeah, there is a difference.

Ah, so nothing is significant unless it's "special forces". Got it. Now I know why people don't take you seriously :)

Latest Discussions