How Should Women do Push-ups

Discussion in 'Women of the Martial Arts (Women Martial Artists)' started by FieldDiscipline, Sep 27, 2007.

1. watching

watching Green Belt

I'm female and I always do full pushups. When I trained as a young kid and teenager I was eventually required to do 60 full pushups nonstop at the beginning of each class as part of the routine warmup exercises. I got out of training for a bit and now as I'm getting back into it I am building up my fitness level again. I still do full pushups.

• Like Like x 2
  2. FriedRice

FriedRice Master Black Belt

Then don't do them on your knees like the girls.

Yeah, then those males are doing girl pushups.

3. FriedRice

Yeah, but most of the women who do girl pushups or starts with them, often never graduate from "girl pushups" to "pushups" because they've become complacent.

4. watching

watching Green Belt

That's too bad. They probably need encouragement to get to that next level. knee pushups are like nothing to me. I don't even see it challenging enough to be an exercise. Though when I was getting back into shape over a year ago and I was 20 pounds heavier than I am now, I remember I had to do knee pushups because I could no longer do the full ones. It was so frustrating!

• Like Like x 1
  5. FriedRice

I know of one girl who's always in great shape, training Muay Thai for over 5 years at least, of and on, fought full contact in MT after her 3rd year of continuous training....won her 1st fight by decision.....and she's still doing "girl pushups" on the the knees.

One of the easons that women's head snaps back so easily when they get hit with just a jab is because they don't build up the trap muscles.

6. kravmaga1

kravmaga1 Yellow Belt

Get into plank position, with your hands under but slightly outside of your shoulders.

Lower your body until your chest nearly touches the floor.

As you lower yourself, tuck your elbows, pulling them close to your body so that your upper arms form a 45-degree angle when your torso is in the bottom position of the move. Pause, then push back to the starting position as quickly as possible. Keep your core braced the entire time.

If your hips sag at any point during the exercise, your form has been broken. When this happens, consider that your last repetition and end the set.

If it hurts your wrists to put your hands directly on the floor, place a pair of dumbbells (use a pair with flat edges, like hex dumbbells) at the spots where you'd position your hands. Then grasp the dumbbells' handles and keep your wrists straight as you perform the exercise.