How Should Women do Push-ups

Discussion in 'Women of the Martial Arts (Women Martial Artists)' started by FieldDiscipline, Sep 27, 2007.

1. FieldDiscipline

FieldDiscipline 2nd Black Belt

Just something I picked up in your initial post Lynne, women should always do pressups on their knees anyway. Its not good for women to do them on toes, allegedly.

Hope you get that sorted, doesnt sound like much fun.

2. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

I agree with that, most martial arts organisations in the UK recommend women and children do press ups on their knees.

3. Laurentkd

Laurentkd Master Black Belt

Don't want to hijack the thread here, but I am wondering where you heard this and what the science is behind it? Very interesting...

4. Lynne

Lynne Master of Arts

Hey Field,

Any idea why we should stay on our knees? Inquiring minds want to know!

Lynne

5. FieldDiscipline

Hi guys, not being female myself I cant actually remember the reasoning behind this. I have heard stretching ovaries sited but I somehow doubt this is correct. All the clubs I have trained at, as well as in the armed forces IIRC, women do them on their knees.

Maybe Tez can fill in the blanks here?

6. Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress RAWR

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Hmmmm....I've never heard of this and have always done push-ups on my toes without problem.

7. Laurentkd

Laurentkd Master Black Belt

Hmmm... I am far from a know-it-all, but I have a recent degree in Exercise Science and have never heard such a thing...

8. MBuzzy

MBuzzy Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    In the US Armed Forces (All branches) women are REQUIRED to do their push ups on the toes. Knees are not permitted for it to count on physical fitness tests. Even in our physical fitness leader training, women are encouraged to do push ups on their toes as it helps with the smaller stabilizing muscles.

9. Lynne

Lynne Master of Arts

I thought that was the case for the US.

I am not superwoman. When I do pushups, I don't do the full range. I can do 3 full-range pushups. I need to practice. However, doing them on the toes is building upper body strength, more so than doing them on the knees.

We often do 100 pushups in a warmup. Sometimes, we'll do another 100 throughout class. It will be awhile and lots of practice before I can do even 20 full-range pushups. I'm not paying attention to what the men are doing when we get to around 80 - 100. I imagine they are struggling.

I have had tendonitis in my left arm going on four months now. Guess what that's from? Fingertip pushups.

10. BrandiJo

BrandiJo Master of Arts

I have hear it is bad for a womans back, that our center of gravity is different and that to do a good and correct pushup we should do it on our knees. But i have no science to back that up.

11. FieldDiscipline

I didnt mean the US army, and I may be wrong. I was always too busy doing my own training to look.

As I said, not being female I have never really cared why this is important, I am happy to defer to my seniors and thus females I train, do not do them on their toes.

Now finger tip pressups being bad, I can find evidence for.

12. Lynne

Lynne Master of Arts

I avoid doing them right now and will try to do so in the future (the finger tip ones).

13. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    In the British Forces women do press ups on thir knees as recommended by the fitness experts at MOD. Women are built differently lol! I believe it's to do with womens pelvises being different plus there's less strain on the back. I do them neither on my toes or my knees but do them either on the wall or using a bench,much more effective. Children should never ever do them on their toes nor should they do more than I think, it's two sets of ten at a time.
    I will get some more info from the PTI's when I go to work next Tuesday.

14. FieldDiscipline

Cheers for that Tez. Had a feeling you'd know the reason. I didnt know that about children, worth knowing.

I'm relieved I'm right about the forces, btw...!

15. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Our male pro MMA fighters don't do 100 press ups a session, there's simply no need to. They keep to an all round workout which suits them. It's split into cardio work and 'strength' work plus sparring and grappling keep them fit and strong. They don't do fingertip press ups either, tbh that's considered 'macho' showing off. I think doing a lot of press ups like this is a legacy of the old days when it was a trial of endurance for students, there are little benefits to be gained from prolonging one exercise over another but a lot of damage can be caused as you will end up with Repetitive Strain Injury. I think there's people better qualified than I who can explain the benefits of a well worked out routine for warm ups and fitness.

16. FieldDiscipline

What happened here? This wasnt me!

And its press-ups, not push ups!

17. bmcgonag

bmcgonag White Belt

Just from a leverage standpoint, men's center of gravity of in their chest, so mostly supported by the arms during push (press) ups, and women's center of gravity is generally located at or near the hips, so the majority of the weight distributed over the body length would weigh far more on the small of the back in women doing push-ups on the toes.

That's not to say that it shouldn't be done, but that it should be eased in too, by starting on the knees and slowly moving to all being on the toes. This gives the appropriate muscles time to strengthen and adjust.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, so take it for what it's worth.

Best,

Brian

18. jks9199

jks9199 Administrator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    I'd guess that a mod decided that the push-up (I'm in the US; you can call the press ups if you want...but I still call 'em push ups!) discussion was a bit too off topic, but worthwile and so deserved it's own thread. They just moved the discussion into its own thread.

Personally, I know plenty of women who can do regular pushups; some had to start on their knees at first, but they eventually reached the point of doing them on their toes. I've even started kids and others on their knees...

19. Mark L

Mark L Brown Belt

Tez,
    Please give more info on why children shouldn't do more than a few sets of 10 reps, and why sets of 100 for adults isn't advantageous. Our childrens' class pushes out 25 at time, no problems to date. The adult class does the same, though on occasion we shoot for 100 in 60 seconds. Again, no problems yet. Both sexes perform the same movement. I wish to learn ...

20. FieldDiscipline

100 in 60 seconds? This is a press ups thread yeah?