How should our children and instructors be treated in the Dojo/Studio

S

stal0225

Well I started something with the last string and I figure i'll alter the topic alittle here and see about getting suggestions (as i help teach the younger kids).

How are things done in your(or the school you attend) Studio concerning punishments/rewards and such?

Does everybody raise their hands in order to speak?

Is it Around the Organized Chaos level?

Do you feel like you must be the one to put your foot down?(if not the head instructor)

Is the level of control satisfactory to you?

Do your Peers Listen to your suggestions and or give input/ideas?
(this one is big as i have been having a problem with a egomaniac.)

Where does the courtesy and respect come into play? In the dojo, at home, at school? I know we try and teach it for everywhere but do you ever catch that student doing something out in the hall that you know they wouldn't do on the floor or even at home?

Just some Questions. More will most likely come.
Later

OP
T

TLH3rdDan

How are things done in your(or the school you attend) Studio concerning punishments/rewards and such? Push ups or laps for punishment... rewards simply telling them "good job" or "your really improving alot" just lots of positive reinforcement.

yes

no

Do you feel like you must be the one to put your foot down?(if not the head instructor) im the one and only instructor so yes
:D

yes

yes i have a good relationship with most of the other instructors in my area and we share ideas on teaching and techniques... what exactly is your egomaniac doing?? perhaps the others on the board and myself can give you some sugestions on how to deal with him.

Where does the courtesy and respect come into play? In the dojo, at home, at school? everywhere... i have forms that i send home with the students before every belt test that must be filled out by parents and teachers covering everything from helping out at home to grades if i see something i dont like they dont test plain and simple and i make that point clear from day one.

OP
T

tigerstorm

I dont think that any school will ever run completely correct, (theres always one) as the saying goes. For the most part our school runs ok, at times chilrdren speak without raising there hand but only when its allowed, instance being when you simply say, Anyone? i havent seen much in an egomaniac, in fact we have the opposite side, not saying its any better, but we have senior students who wish not to say anything in fear that an opinion will disagree with what an Instructor would say. Its really not bad but at the same time not good that they eliminate there own thoughts because of worry for having there own mind, thats not necassarily the Instructors. Id say positive reinforcement is the best aid you have as an Instructor, punshment depends on what the student has done. In some cases, lets be honest, children do things in the school they wouldnt do at home, because there in a kicking punching almost to them playful environment, you need to realize small things like this. Allow them to enjoy a happy environment but keep it controlled.
Tigerstorm

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by stal0225

Well I started something with the last string and I figure i'll alter the topic alittle here and see about getting suggestions (as i help teach the younger kids).

How are things done in your(or the school you attend) Studio concerning punishments/rewards and such?

Do you feel like you must be the one to put your foot down?(if not the head instructor)

Where does the courtesy and respect come into play? In the dojo, at home, at school? I know we try and teach it for everywhere but do you ever catch that student doing something out in the hall that you know they wouldn't do on the floor or even at home?

Just some Questions. More will most likely come.
Later

We try to model as much as possible the standards of any private educational facility.

Raising of hands and so for...

As far as ego maniacs..there are none. "The only stupid question is the one never asked". I encourage everyone to give their input during their training. Ask why, not just how....

If I do catch them outside the school doing something they shouldn't I simply remind them of what we teach at the school (ie. courtesy, respect, etc.) it usually straightens em' out. Not surprisingly the parents will call or tell me in person if their child is not following the examples set at the school.:asian:

Latest Discussions