How practical is Martial Arts for self defense?

Discussion in 'General Self Defense' started by AceVentura, Jul 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

Someone tries to mess with you on the street. You use a side kick to break a fence pole. The guy runs away. Nobody get hurt. Everybody live happily ever after.

That's what I will call, "fight without fighting".

2. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

When I was in my 20's I went on a date in Baltimore. The woman I was dating was white and the area that I was in racists big time. I wanted to use a restaurant (food stall) phone to call a water taxi to take us back across the way. The owner said no even though they had a sign there saying allowing it. So me and my girlfriend had to walk back to the care on foot which through the streets. A group of Greek guy didn't like what they saw and gave me a mean look as I walked by. My girlfriend noticed that they were looking mean at me and she thought we were going to get jumped. She asked me did I see the look they were giving. I calmly stated. "They didn't want none, (an A-Kicking) because they kept walking. Had they thought they would could beat me then they would have tried."

I don't know how much of it was from the fact that I don't look like an easy target and how much was from the fact that they didn't want to fight in the first place. But if they didn't fight me because I looked like more trouble than they wanted to deal with, then I'll take that win. My my enemy's fear keeps him from attacking me, then so be it. A win for me. lol.

3. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

With a wife who is white, I can understand your experience.

One night I walked in a dark street of Rio de Janeiro. I had blue jeans and leather jacket on with long hair (a long hair China-man can be as scary as a bold head white guy). A guy stood against the wall. He looked at me, looked at my watch, look at me again, and then turned his head away.

After that night, long hair, leather jacket, and blue jeans have been with me for almost all my life.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Buka

Buka Sr. Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    It's the general implication of the thread as well as the subjective comments from various posters.

5. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Looks like you are the one trying to skirt the answer, looking to apply conditions on the outcome.

6. Buka

Buka Sr. Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Had I been talking bout you, I would have used the quote function. My post happened to come after yours.
    Maybe it's not always about you.

I gotta' give you one kudo, though. It's usually impossible to detect tone on a printed post, you seem to have conquered that better than most.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Steve

Steve Mostly Harmless

Ah, I understand. Subjectivity and innuendo... would be great if we could get away from that. What do you recommend?

8. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    How about this for a straight answer: I don’t know, I’ve never needed to use it for real, on the street.

Not getting into fights, for most evolved adults, is not difficult. If you are older than high school age and you are still getting into frequent fights, then you are the problem. Grow up.

9. Duss D Gnutz

Duss D Gnutz Yellow Belt

Keyword is "if," bud. Read!

10. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

That's a big assumption. As hard as that guy hit the ground from that punch, My guess is the Kung Fu guy would only need to land a few heavy hits to make the other guy want to back out.

I'll use myself as an example. Because of how I fight, the more aggression that comes my way the better off I'll be in a fight. Based on that video that I saw, the Kung Fu guy look comfortable with attacking and defending. As ugly has his fighting was, he easily looked like someone who spars often and he was comfortable enough to show boat at the beginning. He had a lot more confidence than the other guy.

11. Duss D Gnutz

Duss D Gnutz Yellow Belt

Gotta give you credit for one thing: at least you'll admit to having not used it.

But you're still gullible for believing everyone else's claims without asking questions.

12. Duss D Gnutz

Duss D Gnutz Yellow Belt

Bro, you saw exactly what I saw. The non-martial artist was aggressive in the beginning, and soon decided that he wanted no part of the other guy as soon as he saw the stance. But, of course, he couldn't back out because he had to back up the s*** he talked in front of everyone else there. He made no legit effort to win that fight. He already decided in his mind that he couldn't win, and that he was just going hurry up and get it over with so he could be done with it.

If you can't see this, then you're terrible at reading people.

13. Buka

Buka Sr. Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    You seem to speak from experience, so I shall. Thank you.

But now I’m curious as to how much training you’ve had? Also curious if you were unfortunate enough to have been in the position of having been a victim of something not working for you in a nasty incident. If so, my heart goes out to you. Honestly.

14. Duss D Gnutz

Duss D Gnutz Yellow Belt

What, exactly, are you trying to refute with this?

15. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

How practical is Martial Arts for self defense?

If a non-MA guy throws a straight punch at you. If you give him a hard block that can hurt his arm, he may back up after that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

so your asking people to prove that which cant be proven, there is no much intellectual honesty in that

17. Duss D Gnutz

Duss D Gnutz Yellow Belt

Maybe, but bear in mind that there are plenty of non-martial artists that block like that too. So it could come down to whether or not your opponent has experience with that.

18. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

What's the issue for those who don't train MA?

- Their body, arm, and leg can't take too punch punishment. If you hit your arms 1000 times on heavy bag daily, when your arm meets with a non-MA guy's arm, the result is easy to predict.
    - Their mind are straight forward. If you push, they will resist. If you pull, they will also resist. They don't understand that MA is just a big cheating game.

If you spend years and years of hard MA training, and you still cannot handle a non-MA guy on the street, it may be time for you to get a rope, find a quite place, and hang yourself. :)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

Let's analyze this.

A NON-MARTIAL ARTIST had a confrontation with a MARTIAL ARTIST and got scared as soon as he saw the MARTIAL ARTIST STANCE.

Now lets take a look at your original post
    "is it really that practical to train strictly for self defense reasons?" Based on your comment above, the answer to this is yes. As it was the martial arts stance that scared the guy. And then the martial arts punch that laid him out.

Just saying

20. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

Again. if you take martial arts and this is the response that you get from people who at first want to fight you, Then more power to you and your martial arts. Your $200 a month and years worth of training has paid off.123

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.