How often of work out in week exercise to get in shape myth?

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Was for me at the time. I'm more laid back and defensive now.:angelic:

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That's their job though, they know exactly what they have to do to keep their jobs and it may well not be just going to the gym.

There are two types of people who do bodybuilding people that want to get some muscles and some people that want to get really big.

There is difference.

Well Bruce Lee was bodybuilder but he was not really big.

What I'm saying I don't think you can work out two times a week and think you going to look big like this.

I don't think you could work out two times a week and think you are going look big like these WWE guys or bikers.

http://www.india.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/By9vpMKIAAE4XoY.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.co...6bfda61161--roman-reigns-wwe-roman-regins.jpg

Or big like these guys
https://contemplativefitness.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/111pooka.jpg

http://bikerlawblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Attorney-Norman-Gregory-Fernandez-3-27-13.jpg

These people probably work out 4 to 5 times in week.

I don't think you can work out two times in week and look like that or anyone close to looking like that.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are two types of people who do bodybuilding people that want to get some muscles and some people that want to get really big.

There is difference.

What I'm saying I don't think you can work out two times a week and think you going to look big like this.

I don't think you could work out two times a week and think you are going look big like these WWE guys or bikers.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.co...6bfda61161--roman-reigns-wwe-roman-regins.jpg

Or big like these guys

http://bikerlawblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Attorney-Norman-Gregory-Fernandez-3-27-13.jpg

I don't think you can work out two times in week and look like that or anyone close to looking like that.

Whatever. I did understand you know, you don't have to keep repeating yourself. There's also other reasons why people do bodybuilding you know.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

There is difference.

Or big like these guys

There's a a lot of reasons why you he WWE guys and pro body builders look the way they do...

They work out smart and hard. They don't just throw together some workout they found online. Everything is done for a reason, and they work closely with experts who constantly monitor what they're doing and make necessary changes.

They eat right. They pay attention to exactly what's going into their bodies, how much, how often, and when. They consult experts; they don't look online and go with whatever sounds good.

They're genetic freaks. If I followed them around like their annoying little brother and did exactly what they did (eating, exercising, and resting), I still wouldn't be like them. I'd be the best I can be, but not the best they can be.

For most of these people, it's their full time job. Most ordinary people don't have the time to dedicate the number of hours to working out as these people.

A lot of them have a lot of help from illegal drugs. You can only get so big, strong, fast, etc. naturally. PEDs increase the amount of muscle building and fat burning hormones, decrease the amount of muscle destroying hormones, and decrease the time to adequately recover. Most ordinary people aren't willing to use them for many reasons.

Saying these guys are as big and/or as fit as they are because they work out a certain number of times a week is absurd. Comparing us to them is even more absurd. Only a moron would look at someone like Bruce Lee's workout routine online and think they'll look like him if they replicate it. And yes, there's certainly no shortage of morons out there.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Whatever. I did understand you know, you don't have to keep repeating yourself. There's also other reasons why people do bodybuilding you know.

There's a a lot of reasons why you he WWE guys and pro body builders look the way they do...

They work out smart and hard. They don't just throw together some workout they found online. Everything is done for a reason, and they work closely with experts who constantly monitor what they're doing and make necessary changes.

They eat right. They pay attention to exactly what's going into their bodies, how much, how often, and when. They consult experts; they don't look online and go with whatever sounds good.

They're genetic freaks. If I followed them around like their annoying little brother and did exactly what they did (eating, exercising, and resting), I still wouldn't be like them. I'd be the best I can be, but not the best they can be.

For most of these people, it's their full time job. Most ordinary people don't have the time to dedicate the number of hours to working out as these people.

A lot of them have a lot of help from illegal drugs. You can only get so big, strong, fast, etc. naturally. PEDs increase the amount of muscle building and fat burning hormones, decrease the amount of muscle destroying hormones, and decrease the time to adequately recover. Most ordinary people aren't willing to use them for many reasons.

Saying these guys are as big and/or as fit as they are because they work out a certain number of times a week is absurd. Comparing us to them is even more absurd. Only a moron would look at someone like Bruce Lee's workout routine online and think they'll look like him if they replicate it. And yes, there's certainly no shortage of morons out there.

Tez3 and JR 137 may be you should explain to me what bodybuilding is for the average person working out 2 times week vs 4 times a week vs professional bodybuilding.

Well obvious some one wanting to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger will need to hire a professional trainer or some one competing in proper bodybuilding contest. And no he not trying look like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

But than there is also different types of bodybuilding and power lifting too that can also get even more complicated.

Yes I will keep in mind some one doing wrestling or Judo may not be all about looks but the muscles needed for what you doing. Like power lifters that can lift heavy but not all power lifter look create vs a bodybuilder.

Or biker that looks really big but not really muscle or proper bodybuilding or strong but just looks big.

But for the average person who does not WANT to spend money to hire a professional trainer and put in what would normally do in week!! What would average person working out 2 times week vs 4 times a week look like?

Would there be any difference working out 2 times week vs 4 times a week?

May be if you can explain the difference types of looks and stuff than I can post back what he is after and you can point me to right direction or if a personal trainer is needed for that look.

If he is after a type of look and goal well depending on it a personal trainer may be needed or he may have to work out 4 times week and really take as a job and not hobby where I don't know if he wants to do that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tez3 and JR 137 may be you should explain to me what bodybuilding is for the average person working out 2 times week vs 4 times a week vs professional bodybuilding.

Well obvious some one wanting to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger will need to hire a professional trainer or some one competing in proper bodybuilding contest. And no he not trying look like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

But than there is also different types of bodybuilding and power lifting too that can also get even more complicated.

Yes I will keep in mind some one doing wrestling or Judo may not be all about looks but the muscles needed for what you doing. Like power lifters that can lift heavy but not all power lifter look create vs a bodybuilder.

Or biker that looks really big but not really muscle or proper bodybuilding or strong but just looks big.

But for the average person who does not WANT to spend money to hire a professional trainer and put in what would normally do in week!! What would average person working out 2 times week vs 4 times a week look like?

Would there be any difference working out 2 times week vs 4 times a week?

May be if you can explain the difference types of looks and stuff than I can post back what he is after and you can point me to right direction or if a personal trainer is needed for that look.

If he is after a type of look and goal well depending on it a personal trainer may be needed or he may have to work out 4 times week and really take as a job and not hobby where I don't know if he wants to do that.
There are still a lot of variable at play. 2 highly intense workouts per week will outpace 4 moderate workouts per week. 2 complete workouts (push/pull muscles in the same workout, for instance) might be slightly less effective than 2 pairs of more isolated workouts (pull muscles one day, push muscles the other). And, of course, the person's physiology - some people respond better to workouts (when I was 30, one intense full-body workout a week, plus my regular MA classes, got me nicely cut and fairly muscular).

Getting a personal trainer involved is actually a good place to start. That doesn't have to be highly expensive - they can help craft the right routine, make sure the exercises are done right, then you're on your own. One or two sessions with a trainer can be a significant help.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I got into a dispute with my friend he was saying you can work on cardio and lift weights two or three times in a week!! I said that is pointless!! You need at least no less than 4 times a week to work on cardio and lift weights.

So what is the magic number? Well obvious MMA fighters and athletes work out everyday.

But working out two or three times in a week such seem silly. That is 4 to 5 days being couch potato if goal is to get in shape work on cardio and be lifting weights to build body muscles.

Well some other people say no less than three times in week, but even that seem too low and two times in week such seem pointless. Well if the magic number is no less than 4 times in week.

So what is the magic number? What should I say to him?

I'm bit confused now getting different numbers of working out in a week some say 3 and some say 4 or 5.
your friend is correct, the more must be better myth means lots of people don't get what they want. The improvements you make don't come when your training, they come when you are resting, sitting on the couch. Any programme has to include a large portion of couch sitting to be,effective

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your friend is correct, the more must be better myth means lots of people don't get what they want. The improvements you make don't come when your training, they come when you are resting, sitting on the couch. Any programme has to include a large portion of couch sitting to be,effective
That's why professional athletes only train two or three times a week?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's why professional athletes only train two or three times a week?
depends on what event the professional athelete is training for, they have a program that that gets them in peak condition ether once a weak once a month, once a quarter once a year or once every four years
what they don't dp is train flat out every day, they have adequate recovery built into their program so rest days and stretching days are he order of the day. The,secrete is balancing training and recovery .

if it takes your muscles 3 days to recover from a session, that's the optimum period between training

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
depends on what event the professional athelete is training for, they have a program that that gets them in peak condition ether once a weak once a month, once a quarter once a year or once every four years
what they don't dp is train flat out every day, they have adequate recovery built into their program so rest days and stretching days are he order of the day. The,secrete is balancing training and recovery .

if it takes your muscles 3 days to recover from a session, that's the optimum period between training
That's the optimum period between training that muscle. Training twice a week misses a lot of opportunity to develop.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's the optimum period between training that muscle. Training twice a week misses a lot of opportunity to develop.
like I say it depends body builder go mad with it, but they arnt seeking improvement in performance, if you do a full body work out twice a week that's plenty for most people, if you want to spit it so you do push one day , pull another legs another etc then you may have to work out five days, but the time spent each day is a lot less

I've read that the least you can get away with if you want to make progress is once every 5 days. .so twice a week covers that, but you still need to let the body recover/ adapt before you go again

what professional athletes don't do is push so hard in training that they have nothing left when it comes to the game on Saturday

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sleeping is far more effective of a rest than sitting on the couch, but you're right; proper rest is just as important as proper training.

Pro athletes train significantly more than twice a week, and most need peak performance week in and week out during their season. Granted they'll have more intense days and less intense days, but they'll train almost every day.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sleeping is far more effective of a rest than sitting on the couch, but you're right; proper rest is just as important as proper training.

Pro athletes train significantly more than twice a week, and most need peak performance week in and week out during their season. Granted they'll have more intense days and less intense days, but they'll train almost every day.
its throwing in the term professional athletes that's a bit misleading, what sort of athlete with what soemry of fitness goals

there is an considerable difference between a soccer player who needs to hit peak performance every Saturday and say a boxer that has 12 weeks to prepare for a fight and cares nothing about his week to week performance as long as it all comes together in 3months and then again an Olympic cyclist who is looking to peak 4years from now.

a soccer player will spend half a week doing recovery exercises and half a week building up to Saturday, they most certainly won't be killing them selves on Thursday and friday

no matter how you wish to prioritise your training, there is the hard rule that it takes a well worked muscle 72 hours to recover full performance, that's 3days if your going to hit it mote frequently than that, you wont see improvement session to session and sooner or latter( probably sooner) you need a deload week to let everything catch up.if your getting full performance back a lit quicker than that, then your not working it hard enough and you wont make gain faster by half training more often

as part of my reason for doing MA is self defence, I favour the soccer model, I don't want to be weak ad a kitten for weeks on end to be supper fit in 3months, I want to be close to peak performance at all times. To do that and fit it in to a 7 day cycle I hit each muscle hard every 3days or twice a week. That's not only excersising twice a week i have push days and pull days and jumping and running days. But if time was a factor a full work out twice a week would be just as good

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its throwing in the term professional athletes that's a bit misleading, what sort of athlete with what soemry of fitness goals

there is an considerable difference between a soccer player who needs to hit peak performance every Saturday and say a boxer that has 12 weeks to prepare for a fight and cares nothing about his week to week performance as long as it all comes together in 3months and then again an Olympic cyclist who is looking to peak 4years from now.

a soccer player will spend half a week doing recovery exercises and half a week building up to Saturday, they most certainly won't be killing them selves on Thursday and friday

no matter how you wish to prioritise your training, there is the hard rule that it takes a well worked muscle 72 hours to recover full performance, that's 3days if your going to hit it mote frequently than that, you wont see improvement session to session and sooner or latter( probably sooner) you need a deload week to let everything catch up.if your getting full performance back a lit quicker than that, then your not working it hard enough and you wont make gain faster by half training more often

as part of my reason for doing MA is self defence, I favour the soccer model, I don't want to be weak ad a kitten for weeks on end to be supper fit in 3months, I want to be close to peak performance at all times. To do that and fit it in to a 7 day cycle I hit each muscle hard every 3days or twice a week. That's not only excersising twice a week i have push days and pull days and jumping and running days. But if time was a factor a full work out twice a week would be just as good
Your last sentence is the only part I disagree with. Twice a week on full-body work is not quite as good as 2x2. You only have so much total energy to expend, and you'll be more productive (in a gain/recovery cycle) on the 4-day format. How much? That depends a lot on your own energy levels and recovery (72 hours isn't an absolute, like everything else in the human body).

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your last sentence is the only part I disagree with. Twice a week on full-body work is not quite as good as 2x2. You only have so much total energy to expend, and you'll be more productive (in a gain/recovery cycle) on the 4-day format. How much? That depends a lot on your own energy levels and recovery (72 hours isn't an absolute, like everything else in the human body).
im not sure what your recommending here, if you are saying that x4 body building type spits, where yoili focus just one muscle group say, legs, back, chest etc on different days is a good way to train, then yes it is, but you can have issues when you want to use your legs and back at the same time

if what your saying is that 4 light to moderate full body session is better than a fullbody heavy to and beyond failure sessions

then absolutely not, you are never pushing yourself enough to get serious performance gains

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think what he was saying here is comes down to what the goal is. Of the many variables like going for walk 3 or 4 times week does not mean you be able to be runner, sprinter, MMA fighter or boxer. That the cardio program needs to be deigned for what the goal is.

I know people who can run for miles and miles but cannot even do fast sprinting for 5 minutes!! Likewise there some really fast sprinters but could not run for hours on end like runners.

If the go is to be MMA fighter or sprinter than work on stamina program. Where if the goal is to be runner, jogger or hiker than work on endurance program.

And train how long you want it goal to be or what your goal should be.

Where one or two times a week of very hard cardio may be better than 3 or 4 times week of very soft cardio if the goal is MMA fighter or sprinter.

If you into being runner, jogger or hiker than softer cardio but longer duration better than hard cardio.

Now if you don't care about being MMA fighter, wrestler, boxer, sprinter, runner, jogger or hiker. Than a 30 minutes of light walking everyday is good enough of not having a sedentary lifestyle. And factoring in your office job or IT job gives you the 15 minute breaks every 2 or 3 hours!! Just so you can get up and move around not to have stiff body sitting too long at your desk.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
like I say it depends body builder go mad with it, but they arnt seeking improvement in performance

It depends on what bodybuilding program they are trying to do be it powerlifters, bodybuilding or wrestlers in WWE.

What look is the person after to have the program designed for that person for that look he is after.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In some arts one uses specific stances and sets of muscles to do certain movements. As I powered off the back leg into the hips i used to be able to pwer press twice weight with my left leg as the right. All the muscle in the world will not help you if your opponent has a better understanding of timing.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think what he was saying here is comes down to what the goal is. Of the many variables like going for walk 3 or 4 times week does not mean you be able to be runner, sprinter, MMA fighter or boxer. That the cardio program needs to be deigned for what the goal is.

I know people who can run for miles and miles but cannot even do fast sprinting for 5 minutes!! Likewise there some really fast sprinters but could not run for hours on end like runners.

If the go is to be MMA fighter or sprinter than work on stamina program. Where if the goal is to be runner, jogger or hiker than work on endurance program.

And train how long you want it goal to be or what your goal should be.

Where one or two times a week of very hard cardio may be better than 3 or 4 times week of very soft cardio if the goal is MMA fighter or sprinter.

If you into being runner, jogger or hiker than softer cardio but longer duration better than hard cardio.

Now if you don't care about being MMA fighter, wrestler, boxer, sprinter, runner, jogger or hiker. Than a 30 minutes of light walking everyday is good enough of not having a sedentary lifestyle. And factoring in your office job or IT job gives you the 15 minute breaks every 2 or 3 hours!! Just so you can get up and move around not to have stiff body sitting too long at your desk.
yes sort of, if you view ma as a sport, then there are specific fitness goals that are,different than most other sports, soccer for instance required you to be able to run about for an hour and a half and within that,do any number of 30yard sprints. So that's endurance over a very long time and power in 20 sec bursts..

a ma tournament requires maximal performance over a short time frame, you don't need the endurance of a soccer player but you need to be able sustain maximal effort for far longer than 20secs .

from a self defence point of view, the fight is either over very quickly,or you need to be able to put out max performance for,say 5minets. Being able to do a lot of push ups in a couple of minutes is going to leave you three minutes short.

so from a,ma view training needs to be,short and brutal to give you the best,chance of sustaining your self in a,fight.

at that level of intensity you cant be working the same muscle group more that once in two or three days, if you can then the training wasn't brutal enough, if you divide that into a,week that two or three times.

you can of course do less intense training on other days. If that is actually doing any good towards your goalis a different matter