How often do you stretch?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes and no

, as discussed above , stretching has only two practicalpurposes , one to increase range of motion and two to maintain range of motion.

If your relatively happy with your range of motion, then all that is required to maintain it , is to move some where close to your full range of motion , say a couple of times a week, it doesn't magically disappear if you miss a couple of days.

Increasing it, is a bit more labour intensive. But still doesn't have to be come an obsession, that requires every day or else, it will increase slowly on its own if you keep pushing it a bit.

I put my music on, which is pleasurable and then do some pretty bad dancing to hit the movements i need, an hour of my favourite music isn't to hard a habit to maintain

I am guessing this is the wisdom of the youth.

LastGasp

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have just fortuitously discovered that my kitchen stool is the perfect height for me to pop my foot up onto, so now I intend to do a bit of stretching during any idle moments spent in the kitchen. Handy!

gucia6

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I guess stretching is something I never do enough. What is your stretching routine like? Do you stretch every day? For how long? Do you do it first thing in the morning or in the evening?
I try to stretch a bit every day.
On the training days we do quite a bit of dynamic stretching as part of warm-up, and static during cool-down.
The gym sessions I also finish with 10-15 minutes stretching.

At home I stretch before going to bed to relax tensed muscles, and I hold each stretch no longer than 30 seconds and repeat the cycle 2-3 times. Whenever it starts hurting unpleasantly I stop, especially when it comes to hip flexors and groin stretch (oh, my problem zone :( )

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rather than go back to the beginIng here is an artical on stretching, where ,when and what type and what effect it has on performance , injury ir not

The 5 Dumbest Stretching Myths | T Nation

And another on the benifits of static stretching pre exercise
Long Live Static Stretching! | T Nation
That is an interesting article and I found several other articles that agree. I suppose it is the extensibility mentioned in the articles that I always called muscle lengthening. The "older" term that was often used is elasticity. It is hard to argue that there is short term lengthening from repetitive stretching but it is not permanent. The change is the body and minds ability to ignore the signals hardwired to protect the muscles. In essence changing the setpoint of when those signals are triggered. I do think his use of cadavers was an invalid study as he was working with dead tissue. This practice was mentioned as bogus in some of the other articles I read.

D

Deleted member 39746

I don't stretch, i only do warm ups pre exercise.

Latest Discussions