How often do you stretch?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
His answers arent consistent, nor based in science. But its not worth arguing, IMO, as long as OP notices all the other consistent statements regarding the best way to stretch.
If I'm inconsistent i just May be correct some of the time, whilst quite a few are consistently wrong all of the time

But anyway, what's this science you have that says I'm wrong ?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I said you can't stretch them to make them longer, you can increase the csa,/ blood to make them more elastic, if that's not what I said, it's what I meant to say
I don't think it's what you said, but I'm too lazy to go back and check my memory. It makes sense it would be what you were saying, since you were correcting my misunderstanding of stretching. In either case, thanks for the clarification.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think it's what you said, but I'm too lazy to go back and check my memory. It makes sense it would be what you were saying, since you were correcting my misunderstanding of stretching. In either case, thanks for the clarification.

He did say that before.

And he also said it's not the case.

And he said dynamic stretching is better than static.

And he said static stretching is better than dynamic.

I think he covered all possible options over time...

Hit search, "stretch", posted by Jobo ;)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not nearly enough. And it shows. I stretch when I think about it, and I rarely think about it. When I teach classes, I stretch with students before and after class, but rarely do as good a job when I'm just doing my own workout. I'm just not very systematic about it.
That is a very good word to use to describe good stretching habits, systematic. For most people it is something that improves or decreases directly as much as we do it, or don't do it. There are a myriad of things that affect flexibility but consistency is the greatest.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a very good word to use to describe good stretching habits, systematic. For most people it is something that improves or decreases directly as much as we do it, or don't do it. There are a myriad of things that affect flexibility but consistency is the greatest.
And my flexibility follows my activity. My program.is on hiatus, so I'm focused on mostly striking, and mostly hands. I do a good bit of heavy bag work, but not a lot of kocks, so my arms are showing better flexibility progress than my legs.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And my flexibility follows my activity. My program.is on hiatus, so I'm focused on mostly striking, and mostly hands. I do a good bit of heavy bag work, but not a lot of kocks, so my arms are showing better flexibility progress than my legs.
Entirely sidetracking the thread...what happened to your program?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stretching doesn't actually make muscle fibers any longer. What it does seem to do is stretch connective tissue slightly, and get the body used to greater degrees of muscle extension without sending off pain signals.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Entirely sidetracking the thread...what happened to your program?
A comedy of errors at the center where I had been holding classes. Irregular interruptions (they'd rent out the room without notice to me, close the gym without notice to me, etc.) made it tough to get new students into regular attendance and normal attrition whittled it down to nothing. Then they decided I needed to completely redo the contract since they had a new coordinator, and a miscommunication didn't get that to me, so they took us off the calendar (and didn't notice we were still having classes). Then they moved the mats out of the room and said they won't be putting them back. I could bring my own (which I actually own), but wouldn't be able to store them in or near the room.

In the end, though it was an easy place to work, they don't really seem to want the program there, though the last email I got was them reaching out to programs asking for referrals of other programs, so they could expand their offerings. I'm a bit bitter at the moment.

I was in discussion with the YMCA where we had started up, and thought we had some good negotiations going, but the director simply stopped replying. So, now I'm searching for a new location.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He did say that before.

And he also said it's not the case.

And he said dynamic stretching is better than static.

And he said static stretching is better than dynamic.

I think he covered all possible options over time...

Hit search, "stretch", posted by Jobo ;)

It's entirely possible that I have contradicted my self over the last 18months or so as my understanding of this topic has grown / changed, but far more likely you have been selectively reading my posts, ??

Once you accept that you can't make a muscle longer, then dynamic and static stretching are equal but address current issues. Or one may be superior in one set of circumstances But inferior in another,

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's entirely possible that I have contradicted my self over the last 18months or so as my understanding of this topic has grown / changed, but far more likely you have been selectively reading my posts, ??

Once you accept that you can't make a muscle longer, then dynamic and static stretching are equal but address current issues. Or one may be superior in one set of circumstances But inferior in another,
Did you mean to say "different issues" instead of "current issues"? (I doubt either is much good at dealing with current trade issues.:D)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Did you mean to say "different issues" instead of "current issues"? (I doubt either is much good at dealing with current trade issues.:D)
Yes it's my totally irrational predictive text again, that doesn't appear to have an off button

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you using the Russian keyboard layout, too? I ran into that using the Hobbit's computer last week. It's really hard to type "google" in Cyrillic.
No, I'm using puffin fast browser, which I assume to be Russian as it keeps giving Google searches in Russian and asking me if I'd prefer them in english, that and the predictive text issue aside, it's fantastically a) fast and b) saves a shed load of data and works as a vp n to get round my countries restrictive internet policy

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Had a funny talk about stretching yesterday talking with my Sifu. The funny thing being that if you stretch every day you’re good but you get to a point where if you don’t for a few days, even just that slight difference in flexibility feels awful. That rang true to me for sure.

I’ve always feel like stretching regularly is as hard a positive habit to maintain as any other. I’m riding the consistency wave now but it’s possible I fall off the wagon some day (which will blow).

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes and no
Had a funny talk about stretching yesterday talking with my Sifu. The funny thing being that if you stretch every day you’re good but you get to a point where if you don’t for a few days, even just that slight difference in flexibility feels awful. That rang true to me for sure.

I’ve always feel like stretching regularly is as hard a positive habit to maintain as any other. I’m riding the consistency wave now but it’s possible I fall off the wagon some day (which will blow).
, as discussed above , stretching has only two practicalpurposes , one to increase range of motion and two to maintain range of motion.

If your relatively happy with your range of motion, then all that is required to maintain it , is to move some where close to your full range of motion , say a couple of times a week, it doesn't magically disappear if you miss a couple of days.

Increasing it, is a bit more labour intensive. But still doesn't have to be come an obsession, that requires every day or else, it will increase slowly on its own if you keep pushing it a bit.

I put my music on, which is pleasurable and then do some pretty bad dancing to hit the movements i need, an hour of my favourite music isn't to hard a habit to maintain

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes and no

, as discussed above , stretching has only two practicalpurposes , one to increase range of motion and two to maintain range of motion.

If your relatively happy with your range of motion, then all that is required to maintain it , is to move some where close to your full range of motion , say a couple of times a week, it doesn't magically disappear if you miss a couple of days.

Increasing it, is a bit more labour intensive. But still doesn't have to be come an obsession, that requires every day or else, it will increase slowly on its own if you keep pushing it a bit.

I put my music on, which is pleasurable and then do some pretty bad dancing to hit the movements i need, an hour of my favourite music isn't to hard a habit to maintain
Great, now I have the mental image of the evil clown dancing like Elaine from Seinfeld. Thanks.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Great, now I have the mental image of the evil clown dancing like Elaine from Seinfeld. Thanks.
Quite possibly worse than that, I draw the curtains so the neighbours can't see, or they would be ringing the mental health unit

LastGasp

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Stretching is the one thing about MA I don't particularly enjoy, never did. But as I'm just starting out again, I need to. Just gotta buckle down to it I suppose.

Latest Discussions