How often do you guys train?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I try to get in 4-5 days per week, 2-3 hours per day. That means it can range from 8-15 hours per week, but it typically works out to 10-12 hours most weeks.

Syed01

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Six Days a week, 3/2 hours duration. After I come back home, i try to review what i do in that day before sleep.

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering how often and when you guys train? For example I train usually 4-5h a day 5 days a week:

Mon-Thurs: 4:30-9:30
Friday: off day (1h of weights only)
Saturday: 10:00-2:00
Sunday: off day

I love training, and I've been doing this particular regimen for the last 5 years and I find that this is the most I am physically capable of doing. I wake up so freaking sore the next day. To sustain this regimen I usually eat ~5000 calories and it sucks because I eat so much at night after I'm done training (at around 10ish). For those of you out there who train more than me, how the hell do you do it?
I simply do not have that kind of time. I train 4-5 hrs per week at my school and study a good bit but my goal is 1 part fitness, 1 part self defense, 1 part camaraderie, 1 part interest, 1 part continue to challenge myself. I am way past any competition given my age and the fact I like to be healthy and able to walk in the morning. lol

GENS_WT

White Belt
Reaction score
what would be a good 1-2hour work out? Would it just consist of repeating forms and techniques?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what would be a good 1-2hour work out? Would it just consist of repeating forms and techniques?
That depends what your objective is. If I have a couple of hours to dedicate to my training, I'll probably use forms to warm up, then do some dynamic stretching and HIIT (high-intensity interval training), and either another form or some breath work to catch my breath. Then I'd settle into working on strikes with a heavy bag for a while. Then maybe back to forms to settle down and get my breath back. Sprinkle in some ukemi practice, some shadow boxing/shadow techniques, and maybe some light weapons on the bag, and I'm probably done.

GENS_WT

White Belt
Reaction score
That depends what your objective is. If I have a couple of hours to dedicate to my training, I'll probably use forms to warm up, then do some dynamic stretching and HIIT (high-intensity interval training), and either another form or some breath work to catch my breath. Then I'd settle into working on strikes with a heavy bag for a while. Then maybe back to forms to settle down and get my breath back. Sprinkle in some ukemi practice, some shadow boxing/shadow techniques, and maybe some light weapons on the bag, and I'm probably done.
Sounds like a good day spent

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm jealous of the amount of time you guys have. Not being sarcastic here.

My job, wife, and beautiful young daughters (4 and 6), leave me just two dojo sessions per week - 90 minutes one night and 60 minutes on Saturday morning. No realistic complaints though, they're the love of my life.

I'm getting a punching bag for the basement so I can run down there for a half hour a few more days per week. Now to get the idiot tenant who's got his stuff there to clear out some space. Gonna call the hoarders show soon.

Bkouba

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
About 30 - 60 minutes everyday, that's warm up and cool down. Used to do longer sessions but in my opinion if your doing anything longer than that, your probably not going hard enough or you'll lose focus. Our normal drilling sessions never go over an hour, I feel it's better to do a little, often. Rather than try cram as much as you can into each session - I know of some coaches who make a point of their teaching to go through X amount of Y in each class. But then again, the main thing is sustainability, if you can only train 2 - 3 times per week then I understand why you would want to train longer. Quality over quantity will always win out though.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here and there, once in a while, every so often and when I feel like it.

Spent ten years training my butt off, then twenty years doing it professionally, sixty+ hours a week. Real easy with no kids, a small mortgage, a lot of students and a lot of good teachers. It would have been crazy not to have taken advantage of the opportunity.

I think about everything concerning training all the time, though. And this fricken' forum is like living next door to your heroin dealer.

Last edited:

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's my second hobby after academia ....

KenpoScholar, you said Academia...

I went to school at Missouri State, which was Southwest Missouri State when I was there. Where are you?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here and there, once in a while, every so often and when I feel like it.

Spent ten years training my butt off, then twenty years doing it professionally, sixty+ hours a week. Real easy with no kids, a small mortgage, a lot of students and a lot of good teachers. It would have been crazy not to have taken advantage of the opportunity.

I think about everything concerning training all the time, though. And this fricken' forum is like living next door to your heroin dealer.

I don't do heroin, so I don't have a dealer.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
After I had retired from my full time job, I don't have anything else to do. My MA training become my full time job. My question to myself is "What should I do if I don't train?"

Kenposcholar

Orange Belt
Reaction score
KenpoScholar, you said Academia...

I went to school at Missouri State, which was Southwest Missouri State when I was there. Where are you?

I currently live in Springfield and attend MSU in the physics department. When were you up here?

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was there in 1989 to 1992.

Reaction score
Ah yeah! Martial arts isn't about partying till you puke! For all the guys spending 4 hours punching and kicking keep doing that it makes me feel safe.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ah yeah! Martial arts isn't about partying till you puke!

Nor is it about secret techniques, advanced forms, or learning from the true grandmaster. I guess in the final analysis it's not about how much you have been taught or who you trained under as much as what you can do.

Me. I'm a self-taught Grandmaster of the Saturday afternoon nap style. Now I'm off to practice my skills! :p