How often do you guys train?

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering how often and when you guys train? For example I train usually 4-5h a day 5 days a week:

Mon-Thurs: 4:30-9:30
Friday: off day (1h of weights only)
Saturday: 10:00-2:00
Sunday: off day

I love training, and I've been doing this particular regimen for the last 5 years and I find that this is the most I am physically capable of doing. I wake up so freaking sore the next day. To sustain this regimen I usually eat ~5000 calories and it sucks because I eat so much at night after I'm done training (at around 10ish). For those of you out there who train more than me, how the hell do you do it?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
3 times a week 2 hours a time. May not sound much to some but I simply don't want to train more it'd cause me to burn out and honestly don't have reason to train more than that

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Heck DanT are you training for professional fighting or what? You are training more than a lot of MMA fighters! ;)

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I mostly train when I'm sleeping. Each night I drift off to sleep with a good Shaw Bros. good ol' school kung fu flick where I use my lethal WC skills to handily defeat any/all bad guys. It's tough...but somebody's gotta represent! :D

OP
DanT

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Heck DanT are you training for professional fighting or what? You are training more than a lot of MMA fighters! ;)
I guess I love what I do and I'm trying to become professional yes. I'm planning on competing at the world kuoshu championship in a year, and hopefully soon the world wushu championships.

OP
DanT

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
3 times a week 2 hours a time. May not sound much to some but I simply don't want to train more it'd cause me to burn out and honestly don't have reason to train more than that
Longevity is the most important aspect I think :) .

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how often and when you guys train? For example I train usually 4-5h a day 5 days a week:

Mon-Thurs: 4:30-9:30
Friday: off day (1h of weights only)
Saturday: 10:00-2:00
Sunday: off day

I love training, and I've been doing this particular regimen for the last 5 years and I find that this is the most I am physically capable of doing. I wake up so freaking sore the next day. To sustain this regimen I usually eat ~5000 calories and it sucks because I eat so much at night after I'm done training (at around 10ish). For those of you out there who train more than me, how the hell do you do it?
I don't really know how to count that time, Dan. I don't exercise for MA, so to me that's not MA training time, it's just time for my fitness. But I do stuff off and on all day when I'm at home, testing stances, working on ideas for teaching an application, practicing kata, practicing movement with the cowdog (she thinks it's playing). I've also worked some of the body mechanics into everyday practice (I open heavy doors with weight drops, blend through doorways, etc.).

As far as formal training, I teach 3 classes most weeks. I get to practice a bit during the classes, and usually have an hour for my own work beforehand. If I get an empty class (small program), that's another 60-90 minutes for my own work.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I teach three hour-and-a-half VT and one Escrima class a week. And about once every-other weekend I train DTE with coach Jeff. I don't really consider teaching to be the same as personal training, but I do lead the drills, so I guess it is a way to practice the fundamentals. I do practice on my own, but I don't have a set regimen these days. I really need to get back to that.

I was cleaning out a closet and found a huge stack of work-out logs from my younger days. For years I would chart all my fitness and MA training on a weekly sheet. Then family, work, injuries all intervened. After a back injury, I got rid of most of my weights. After knee problems, and later developing bone spurs in my heels, I stopped running, etc. Then I put on about 30 pounds. :(

Maybe it's time to get off my duff and develop a regimen that I can maintain with the conditions I have.

Last edited:

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
During the week about an hour per day for general fitness but focussed on stuff that would help my MA, including bag workouts, and 2-3 h MA classes per week.

Oh plus about 30h per week running after the kids.......:woot:

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put the 4 & 5 hour workouts away a couple of decades ago, just don't have the "life" for them to spare any more. Pretty wife demands her share, kid demands hers, and that work thing the lion's share.

Early 20s ... I'd hit the gym for weight training 5, maybe 6 times per week. Then, for additional aerobic training I'd play basketball 3, 4 times a week, usually for a couple-three hours at a time playing pick-up. So there's the physical fitness/conditioning portion. My actual dojo time was highest when I was in Muay Thai (figures). On top of the hoops and lifting, I'd do a 3-hour workout, which was a lot of hard drill work based on a ring round timer, doing an average of 22-25 2-minute rounds after a period of light cardio, like jumping rope, hitting bags, air kicking/shadowboxing, time bag work, then boxing drills, then about 45 minutes or so of sparring with a specific goal in mind to work on, i.e. working hand techniques in combos off a serious leg-kick attack. (In other words, taking turns working hand combos against a partner who was, in turn, working on leg-kick set-ups and combos).

Now? Shoot. Two official classes a week, 2 hours in length, spent in "teaching" mode usually, with some participation each time, demonstration, and "I don't really know, let's find out." sort of stuff. Treadmill for an hour 3x a week if I'm lucky, and in the gym with hot wife working legs 2x a week, again if lucky. And, oh yeah, I'm lucky and can walk to work which adds almost a mile of walking 5x days a week to my mostly office-chair bound life.

Kenposcholar

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It's tricky to balance martial arts, family, friends, work, educational reading, relaxing, etc. I used to train much more than I do now with weighted vests, daily yoga, gym, and running along with hours of training. That just didn't give me the energy and time needed for devoting myself to other things in life that are important. Currently, I teach 2-3 hours 5 days a week along with an hour or two every other day for myself. About 30 minutes of stretching and 30 minutes of weightless workouts everyday to keep my body in shape somewhere in between. It's my second hobby after academia and what I have got going right now works well for me. :) Everyone has their own thing that works.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I teach 3-4 hours a day, 3 days a week. That's mental training, especially with the advanced classes, but it's not really physical training.
I train typically an hour at a time, 3-4 days a week.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
On a good week 2 formal 90 minute classes (my work schedule SUCKS!!!!!!)

Beyond that it's hard to really calculate. I try to spend 30 minutes a day doing body weight and flexibility training after which I spend about another half hour working the heavy bag. 3 days a week I will do various forms, shadow boxing, etc for about an hour as well BUT here is where it gets dicey.

Before I took a break I was sitting here watching "Starship Troopers" while doing a 6 point dexterity drill I do with a knife for the Kali I also study both left and right handed. I do a lot of this... not a scheduled training time but since I am alone (the wife went to bed early), and the movie or TV show that is on doesn't require much thought, why not squeeze in some training time?

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Four MA classes a week, as student or instructor.
Two strength training sessions a week, one kettlebell simple and sinister, one bodyweight.
One solo training session of forms, etc.
Mobility and breathwork daily.

On top of this I've had one, sometimes two seminars with various high ranking BJJ black belts every weekend for the last four weeks, plus refereeing a BJJ tournament. Next weekend, I have a five hour Qigong seminar with Steve Maxwell's Qigong teacher and China's first BJJ black belt, Stanley Tam. Weekend after, John Will for BJJ. I may end up teaching an extra BJJ class next week to help out a friend who will be taking his honeymoon.

Doing OK for a dude in his early sixties.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Twice a week, 4 hours each. I'd love more but I work for a living and have a life.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Four MA classes a week, as student or instructor.
Two strength training sessions a week, one kettlebell simple and sinister, one bodyweight.
One solo training session of forms, etc.
Mobility and breathwork daily.

On top of this I've had one, sometimes two seminars with various high ranking BJJ black belts every weekend for the last four weeks, plus refereeing a BJJ tournament. Next weekend, I have a five hour Qigong seminar with Steve Maxwell's Qigong teacher and China's first BJJ black belt, Stanley Tam. Weekend after, John Will for BJJ. I may end up teaching an extra BJJ class next week to help out a friend who will be taking his honeymoon.

Doing OK for a dude in his early sixties.

I hope in 15 years I am still keeping up as well. Tonight at class I realized at one point... oh crap I left my knee sleeve at home.

Latest Discussions