How not to blink

light dancer

White Belt
Reaction score
In performing iaido kata, one is supposed to hold a steady gaze and not blink. For five kata, this means not blinking for around 5-6minutes. I have to reduce my blink rate, and two possibilities I have to try are (i) to look down rather than look straight ahead and (ii) compress the muscles of the eye (rather than trying to freeze the eyelinds). But if anyone has any success stories to relate in this field, I would love to hear them. Thanks!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm, 6 minutes seems an unrealistic goal to me, but I too have tried to work on this for sparring and it is not easy.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, 6 minutes seems an unrealistic goal to me, but I too have tried to work on this for sparring and it is not easy.

I suspect that extending the blink interval for too long results in reflex tearing and involuntary closure and may increase your vulnerability given the rapidity of the natural blink. I briefly tried extending my blink interval and 15 to 20 sec was about the limit before irritation started. I would love to hear from someone who has successfully extended their blink interval and what the result was when the blinking resumed. Did they experience involuntary closure and tearing? Which, to my thinking, would be more of a risk.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For the practical purposes of kata / martial arts in general, I'm not sure that not blinking is wholly necessary, but the psychological effect on an opponent / conversation partner / audience is pretty impressive:

Part of Anthony Hopkins' creepiness as Hannibal Lecter in 'The Silence of the Lambs' is attributable to the fact that he only blinks once or twice during the whole film. In his preparation for the role, he noticed that it was a common trait among serial killers in the videos he had watched.

largesilence%20of%20the%20lambs1x.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In performing iaido kata, one is supposed to hold a steady gaze and not blink. For five kata, this means not blinking for around 5-6minutes. I have to reduce my blink rate, and two possibilities I have to try are (i) to look down rather than look straight ahead and (ii) compress the muscles of the eye (rather than trying to freeze the eyelinds). But if anyone has any success stories to relate in this field, I would love to hear them. Thanks!

Hmm. Seitei Iai? You're allowed to blink. In fact, I'd recommend avoiding the idea that you're not supposed to, as it actually removes your focus from external (the opponent and situation), to internal (trying to do something that is separate from the actual training itself). In our parlance, the difference is between being associated with the kata, and disassociated. Looking down rather than straight ahead is also a bad idea for the same reasons.

Focus on the kata itself, and maintain awareness and focus throughout... your idea of not blinking removes that from your training.

OP
L

light dancer

White Belt
Reaction score
I think that excellent video clip illustrates why blinking is not well regarded. I think it actually detracts from the performance of the kata. It's something that's been mentioned with my performance several times and it is rarely mentioned of others - so mine must be worse than most. But when I try to force my eyes to remain open I start tearing up, and then blink even more. I think the trick might be to semi-close my eyes, rather than trying to force them to stay open. Thanks for the thoughts!

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It also might not be about whether or not you blink, but about when. I have a colleague who blinks involuntarily with every fast movement he makes, which sort of detracts from the seriousness and credibility of his intent at times.

Gnarlie

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
It also might not be about whether or not you blink, but about when. I have a colleague who blinks involuntarily with every fast movement he makes, which sort of detracts from the seriousness and credibility of his intent at times.

Gnarlie

It does seem it would be more about a flinch reflex than about naturally blinking.
The more you train, the less you flinch, as you become accustomed to certain visual stimuli.
On occasion I have my students stand still and watch stoically, as someone throws rapid fire punches at them right at the tip of their nose.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that excellent video clip illustrates why blinking is not well regarded. I think it actually detracts from the performance of the kata. It's something that's been mentioned with my performance several times and it is rarely mentioned of others - so mine must be worse than most. But when I try to force my eyes to remain open I start tearing up, and then blink even more. I think the trick might be to semi-close my eyes, rather than trying to force them to stay open. Thanks for the thoughts!

Perhaps you're not understanding the points of correction you've been given. I've found many students have a tendency to close their eyes as they block or punch -- or both. That's a practice I strongly discourage, because closed eyes don't see changes. They don't see arms that get in front of targets, punches that come at them, etc... But that's not the same as telling them "never blink." Talk to your instructor and get this fixed the right way.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hmmm. I've never heard anything about not blinking before. Seitei or Koryu. Breathing you certainly need to regulate, but blinking? What was the exact phrase used to relay this advice?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Like Ken, Jks9199, Chris and everyone else I think you may have misinterpreted what your teacher meant. Blinking is natural, normal and needed. Not to do it just isn't good for you or your ability to focus on the important points in your training!

OP
L

light dancer

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. There was no possibility for confusion. There were two senior iaido instructors providing the feedback. Both commented that I blinked way too much (and one demonstrated by blinking his eyes quickly). This is for seitei iai. I am not conscious of blinking so much, but I obviously do as I was the only person to receive this specific criticism...and my sins in this regard were canvassed with great energy! Unfortunately neither instructor had any suggestions as to how to deal with the problem, except be conscious of the problem and concentrate on controlling it when doing kata. As the issue had been raised before by my primary instructor, I am always aware of the issue and try to consciously keep my eyes open. But this is clearly not working. I would say, it's not about not blinking at all during the kata performance, but considerably increasing the intervals between blinking (i.e. reducing the amount of blinking I do). While no-one else at my dojo seems cursed with this afflication, I thought some one else may have had to deal with it, which is why I though I would ask here. I am going to try closing my lids more, and relaxing my face muscles somewhat (another suggestion I've had) and see what feedback I get. I'll have to try to get someone to video me close-ish so I can see the problem. It's not something any one comments about in my normal life, so it does seem to be very specific to my performance of iai kata. Thanks again!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I knew not blinking was important for actors and speech makers, but it does seem like a distraction for a martial artist. There is a Destroyer novel dealing in this subject, and it shames me that I can't remember the number. >_<

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry my friend, I'm at a loss. I also practice Seitei iai, and can never remember that correction given to anyone. Now, my Sensei will tell junior members certain things that are over corrections, with the hope that, that strategy will bring them back to where they need to be. If I may ask, when you say senior instructors what rank are we talking? and they are senior in Seitei iai? Obviously, there are certain parts of a kata where you should not be blinking, and others parts where you blink, "normally". Obviously as you are drawing to your target, you should be focused on it. Curious.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My opinion is that you have a habit, somewhat like a nervous tic. I had a young man that would stick his tongue in and out as he concentrated on his kata, much worse than blinking too much. :) I would suggest: 1) squinting the eyes just a bit. This makes it a little more difficult to blink, and so can help you think about not doing it. 2) Practice in front of a mirror so you can see your eyes, and consciously work on not blinking unless you have to.

It will take some time and dogged determination to overcome any habit, but it is doable with concentration.

Good luck!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was thinking along similar lines, PG :nods:. If Light Dancer doesn't mind getting a video done for us to see then that would help immeasurably in understanding the problem. It might even be that we don't think there is a problem but it does sound as if what has been commented on is more than just 'reflex' blinking when giving or receiving cuts.

At the end of the day tho', don't allow trying to ameliorate your blink rate to steal the joy of the forms from you, LD. Perfection never comes; it is the striving to be a little better over time that's the real satisfaction in the JSA.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There was no possibility for confusion.

Are you sure about that?

Not to be too argumentative, but you contradict yourself here:

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. There was no possibility for confusion. There were two senior iaido instructors providing the feedback. Both commented that I blinked way too much (and one demonstrated by blinking his eyes quickly). This is for seitei iai. I am not conscious of blinking so much, but I obviously do as I was the only person to receive this specific criticism...and my sins in this regard were canvassed with great energy! Unfortunately neither instructor had any suggestions as to how to deal with the problem, except be conscious of the problem and concentrate on controlling it when doing kata. As the issue had been raised before by my primary instructor, I am always aware of the issue and try to consciously keep my eyes open. But this is clearly not working. I would say, it's not about not blinking at all during the kata performance, but considerably increasing the intervals between blinking (i.e. reducing the amount of blinking I do). While no-one else at my dojo seems cursed with this afflication, I thought some one else may have had to deal with it, which is why I though I would ask here. I am going to try closing my lids more, and relaxing my face muscles somewhat (another suggestion I've had) and see what feedback I get. I'll have to try to get someone to video me close-ish so I can see the problem. It's not something any one comments about in my normal life, so it does seem to be very specific to my performance of iai kata. Thanks again!

In the OP, you say that "you are supposed to... not blink", which goes against the experiences and training of everyone else who has experience in Iai (in various forms). You then say that the comment given was that you were blinking "way too much" (not that you were blinking as the fault, but the frequency). So I'd say that yeah, you've mis-interpretted the advice... or, at least, not accurately put it across here.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP,

Do the other students and instructors blink during the form?

V/r,
Jon

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you do this with every new kata you learn? Maybe it's a habit you've developed when you're thinking about the next move as you're making it through the kata.

OP
L

light dancer

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate the various options, interpretations, etc that people have offered and I will work through them.

Latest Discussions