How much of an advantage is a knife?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A knife is merely a tool, like a hammer or TV remote. The way of the ninja is to not fear the tool, but rather harness your awareness into devestating countermeasures.

"Devestate?" You're gonna defend yourself against a knife by taking off your attackers clothes, with "Devestating countermeasures????

Gives "fear the tool" an entirely different meaning.....

devest
[dih-vest] /dɪˈvɛst/
verb (used with object)
Law. to divest.
Obsolete. to remove the clothes from; undress.

The White Ghost

White Belt
Reaction score
You all have no idea the things I've witnessed, sacrificed, and done just so men and women like you can live another day free from fear and oppression.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
dear white ghost why not start a thread explaining and exhorting your exploits . I'm sure we all would be amazed by them.
Yes a knife is but a tool and learning to harness your fears is helpful but difficult and something that take time to learn.
A knife is a weapon and can be the difference between life and death. A knife scares people but at the same time many people ave no clue what damage a knife can do

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You all have no idea the things I've witnessed, sacrificed, and done just so men and women like you can live another day free from fear and oppression.

Oh look, another Walt.

troll spray.jpg

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score

I've got a pretty good idea of the things you've witnessed, sacrificed and done just so that men and women like me can live another day laughing our damn asses off!
rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif

The White Ghost

White Belt
Reaction score
And you have no idea what others of us have also done so.
You are right, Danny T San, I apologize for my petulance. My sensei's taught me better.

'If' you have so done as you say Thank you.
You are most welcome.

Now get over yourself!!
You may believe I have a big ego, but believe me it is warranted. It is a necessity for a man who puts on a ninja outfit and fights crime.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are right, Danny T San, I apologize for my petulance. My sensei's taught me better.

You are most welcome.

You may believe I have a big ego, but believe me it is warranted. It is a necessity for a man who puts on a ninja outfit and fights crime.
You having a large opinion of yourself is warranted... suffering with narcissism also.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At least he's got a great dog.

2kephs.jpg

Chrisoro

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Looks like an incarnation from the mind of the troll formerly giving birth to such classics as Mad_Dog and Crazy Eyes has decided to honor us with its presence again. :)

Cranes2133

White Belt
Reaction score
(Sorry if posting to year old threads is against rules)
The 30 feet rule is good, and if someone threatens me from that distance with gun (we have no firearms like you do in Finland) I would just obey and follow whatever he wants.
If guy with knife threatens me from 30 feet I would try to reason with him, deploy baton or pepper spray (this is our number one tool basicly) and keep distance, if he starts getting closer I would try to spray (if he started running so would I without thinking of using my weapons) and run away and call for back-up.

Ofcourse in situations like this depend where is it, inside office building or mall, or outside, day or night and so on.. I wouldn't like to encounter neither gun or knife.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(Sorry if posting to year old threads is against rules)
The 30 feet rule is good, and if someone threatens me from that distance with gun (we have no firearms like you do in Finland) I would just obey and follow whatever he wants.
If guy with knife threatens me from 30 feet I would try to reason with him, deploy baton or pepper spray (this is our number one tool basicly) and keep distance, if he starts getting closer I would try to spray (if he started running so would I without thinking of using my weapons) and run away and call for back-up.

Ofcourse in situations like this depend where is it, inside office building or mall, or outside, day or night and so on.. I wouldn't like to encounter neither gun or knife.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Would agree with that. Had a situation once where the local police rang the control room and warned us some nut job was in the marina and carrying. Asked to monitor on CCTV and monitor. Thankfully after some aggressive monitoring, I.E. making him realise he was being monitored by both camera and foot patrol, he retreated and was herded straight to the on site police at that point.

Another one I and a colleague attended, was McDonalds where staff thought a male had a dagger in his satchel. Turned out to be home made nun chucks. He was so out of it, he quickly restrained and taken by the officers. Good job he was out of it. Apparently one of his favourite hobbies, was to start trouble with security and police alike. BTW, welcome along :)

TieXiongJi

Green Belt
Reaction score
W.E. "Dangerous Dan" Fairbairn, who was the police chief of Shanghai during the 1930's and came out on top of over 600 documented fights while arresting various thugs and trainer of the British Commandoes during World War II and the author of the classic "Get Tough!" wrote the knife is the most dangerous weapon in close quarter combat. John Perkins, a former New York City Police officer with lots of experience with close quarter combat, and founder of the "Attack Proof" self defense system stated, "anyone with a knife immediately becomes a 12th degree blackbelt".

With all due respect to Fairbairn who knows more about this subject than I ever will, it seems to me a gun is more dangerous, as all you have to do is pull a trigger. And with respect to Perkins, while I agree a knife gives you a tremendous advantage over an unarmed opponent, this is a bit of hyerbole, I can't imagine some punk with a knife who doesn't really know what he's doing is more capable to defeat an expert in hand to hand combat who is unarmed. Still, the punk would only have to get lucky once.

What do you think? All opinions appreciated.

Please watch this video of street patrol police training. It takes about 7 meters between you and an opponent, to successfully draw, cock, remove the safety, aim and fire two shots before a knife fighter could reach killing range.

TieXiongJi

Green Belt
Reaction score
W.E. "Dangerous Dan" Fairbairn, who was the police chief of Shanghai during the 1930's and came out on top of over 600 documented fights while arresting various thugs and trainer of the British Commandoes during World War II and the author of the classic "Get Tough!" wrote the knife is the most dangerous weapon in close quarter combat. John Perkins, a former New York City Police officer with lots of experience with close quarter combat, and founder of the "Attack Proof" self defense system stated, "anyone with a knife immediately becomes a 12th degree blackbelt".

With all due respect to Fairbairn who knows more about this subject than I ever will, it seems to me a gun is more dangerous, as all you have to do is pull a trigger. And with respect to Perkins, while I agree a knife gives you a tremendous advantage over an unarmed opponent, this is a bit of hyerbole, I can't imagine some punk with a knife who doesn't really know what he's doing is more capable to defeat an expert in hand to hand combat who is unarmed. Still, the punk would only have to get lucky once.

Please watch this video of street patrol police training. It takes about 7 meters between you and an opponent, to successfully draw, cock, remove the safety, aim and fire two shots before a knife fighter could reach killing range.

TieXiongJi

Green Belt
Reaction score

Latest Discussions