How much is enough?

S

SolidTiger

Come on now how much is enough, when sparring and someone throws a hard punch and nearly knock the brains out somebody.
Also when it starts to get to serious and every punch and kick is
tremendous. when do you stop the fight? are do you let them keep going tell someone gets the wining points or do you stop the fight right their?, and what if you where fighting some one with a attitude like they wonted to kill you?

Thank you I hope to hear what you think.

SolidTiger

"In a fight anger blinds you so you can not see the true fight"

OP
G

GouRonin

This very issue came up last friday at the boxing gym.

A guy who clearly a welterweight at best was sparring with a guy who was in the superheavyweight class.

They were just sparring and the guy who was the HW easily was dominating the match. He had a foot on the guy and about 50lbs.

Afterwards the WW was complaining that he hadn't done well. I said sure he had. He'd managed to hang in there and just work what stuff he needed to work.

He went on to tell me that when he steps into the ring he sees it as a war and he doesn't want to play "patty cake" as he calls it.

I explained to him that sparring is a time when you work out the material you want to use in your matches. You take what you learn there and analyze it. For example, he could move laterally more and not so much forward and backward.

He didn't want to hear that and went on to say that he spars like he fights. To him he said it was all a war. So I said if he's going to war he must be France because he sure fought like ****.

He didn't like that but I told him that his sparring was were he prepped for war. He understood. I think.

If you wanna go all out then by all means do so. I'm not sure what you'll learn other than how to take a punch or give one. Guys who go all out and spar hard all the time will be tough more than likely. But it's like those guys in that other thread who fight in their backyard. That's great to do but at some point you have to refine your technique.

I think if you can't do it slow & easy, then you probably can't do it fast & hard. (I'm talking about sparring) Or you're at least not doing it right.

OP
M

MTisGreat

there was an incident at my gym...it was stopped immediately and they were told to apologize because things will get worse if they dont. things eventually got better.

OP
S

SolidTiger

I think that when you fight you should always use your brain,
because attacking with everything you got will maybe work on
only a white belt. A true fighter loves the challenge of a good
fighter, so that fighter would become a better fighter. Most
people come into the ring saying I not going to get beat up. I
going to do this, do this and this, and when it don't work out
that's when they result to brute force and anger, because they
have no control over the fight.

Thank you

SolidTiger

"If fighting is like a war their should strategic movements"

OP
S

SolidTiger

Originally posted by SolidTiger

I think that when you fight you should always use your brain,
because attacking with everything you got will maybe work on
only a white belt. A true fighter loves the challenge of a good
fighter, so that fighter would become a better fighter. Most
people come into the ring saying I not going to get beat up. I
going to do this, do this and this, and when it don't work out
that's when they result to brute force and anger, because they
have no control over the fight.

Thank you

SolidTiger

"If fighting is like a war their should be strategic movements"

OP
S

sweeper

well as far as using physical advantage vs skill, when I get tired I use whatever advantage I have, if the person doesn't like to kick I kick, if I have reach I stay outside and throw jabs when they try to close.. when I'm fresher I do the opposite, I work on something specific, usualy combinations or closing the gap. Of course when someone is better than me I just try to stay alive :p

But as to the issue of intensity, it depends on who's fighting. I usualy go full speed half force with most of my freinds, like pulling the punch after it lands (so there is plenty of force to know you have gotten hit) but some people go harder some softer. In the nearly two years I have been practicing JKD I hanv't had all to many injuries, a few bloody noses, a couple dislocated jaws.. my freind got knocked out, but none of it was out of hand, I mean no one got angery or anything it's just understood if you are fighting at a given intensity you can get hurt (and eventualy will) if someone doens't want that they say "lets go light" and we do. I have never seen a fight in class get out of hand, though out of class one of my freinds got mad cause he thought one of his other freinds hit him to hard. personaly I think it's just stupid to get mad about getting hit when you are sparing, if you don't like it don't spar with the person again, simple fix (as long as there was no permanant dammage).

OP
S

Shinzu

it is always easier to go crazy and beat the crap out of someone. the real challenge is to develop control so you know you can defeat your opponent if you needed to.

i always start sparring my opponent a bit lightly. if he/she becomes over aggressive, i give them a good shot to let them know to back off.

if i am faced with someone bigger or stronger than me and very rough, i use their strength against them. i let them wear themselves out and counter attack at the right moment.

OP
S

SolidTiger

I think that when you go crazy and lose control you lose control
of the fight and that is where you lose the fight. I always stay
cool find out my opponent weakness and attack that weakness
to open up a new one. When I first started fighting I just gave
it my all I rushed in as fast as I could with kicks and punches not
watching my opponent attacks and that's where I went wrong.
Now when I fight I use strategy.

Thank You

SolidTiger

" Strategy is the key"

Latest Discussions