How much has been lost

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
rflmao myself .........

So the ommited tech ( and associated principals of that/those tech/s ) are not knowledge and if continued for generations to the exclusion of expansive perpetuation of the "original" form including the ommissions from the "modified" form, nothing has been lost??? Thank buddha for the die hard traditionalists ha.

Blooming Lotus

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
ROFL
Like I said at the beginning, its a matter of defining "lost" I tend to define the word more seriously than simply "not practiced". Like I also said, there are those who dont know some techniques, but this thread is about a general los of knowledge, not simply some people who omitt certain techniques.

7sm

I think your idea of lost knowledge is totally different than alot of folks actually. No offense meant there not trying to be funny or sly.

I really don't understand what your idea of lost knowledge is.
If it's not practiced that can be considered as lost ,because if it's not practiced or taught to later generations ,it becomes lost. If you omit it ,it becomes lost because your students never learned it ,so how can they teach or know about something you never taught them?!?!

My sifu is the only disiciple of Grandmaster Wong Cheung teaching Hak Fu Muhn ,if he doesn't teach me or one of my sidai's or sihings everything he was tauight ,it will become lost ,because he was the only one given full transmission of knowledge by sigung Wong.

jeff:)

R

RHD

Black Tiger Fist said:
I think your idea of lost knowledge is totally different than alot of folks actually. No offense meant there not trying to be funny or sly.

I really don't understand what your idea of lost knowledge is.
If it's not practiced that can be considered as lost ,because if it's not practiced or taught to later generations ,it becomes lost. If you omit it ,it becomes lost because your students never learned it ,so how can they teach or know about something you never taught them?!?!

My sifu is the only disiciple of Grandmaster Wong Cheung teaching Hak Fu Muhn ,if he doesn't teach me or one of my sidai's or sihings everything he was tauight ,it will become lost ,because he was the only one given full transmission of knowledge by sigung Wong.

jeff:)

Oh I don't know Jeff, I think there's a lot out there at least in Hung Ga that generally isn't practiced but yet contained within the forms. Take Po Pai Sau for example...I know tons of HG practitioners that practice them in form, but only a handful that practice them in a "hands on" manner. It it lost? No. But maybe in a few generations.

Mike

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blooming Lotus said:
So the ommited tech ( and associated principals of that/those tech/s ) are not knowledge and if continued for generations to the exclusion of expansive perpetuation of the "original" form including the ommissions from the "modified" form, nothing has been lost??? Thank buddha for the die hard traditionalists ha.

Blooming Lotus
Wow. Those techniques with associated principles are knowledge. However, one technique does not a principle make. Principles can be practiced by many different techniques, not just one to one. If a technique is omitted and continued from generation to generation, that technique would be lost to those practitioners, but that means nothing to other practitioners on the other side of the world who are still training said technique or principle. If the belief that what one person looses does not mean everyone looses the same thing is traditionalism, then stamp me traditional.

What I'm saying is my deffinition of "lost" is that there are no people who know or train in said principle or technique. Its nieve to believe that what one person omitts, is lost in the system completely.

7sm

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No it doesn't , but when that technique is expression of a particular aspect of the entire principal / philosophy, not found anywhere else in the system, to not include it, is to give rise to its potential loss..........

IMO: the more mcdojos teaching the ommitted and marked versions, the more the "legitimate " schools are going to be harder to find and once you do find them the harder it becomes to earn your form advances.

BL