How much does this REALLY matter?

Does the stuff here really matter in the "long run"?

• Yes all posters actions have an effect.

• Yes. But only for the "leaders".

• Marginally.

• Not at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pappy Geo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dr Barber says: "In large measure the Anyos are linear and the basic movements of Modern Arnis are semi-circular in nature. "

You are correct with the above statement, however out here on the west coast we are taught via Datu Worden and consequently ourselves teach the empty hand Anyos in a circular flowing fashion.

One might conclude it as a evolved path of Anyos. I found it is much easier this way to emphasis full body moment and to apply practical techniques from the Anyos. It seems to allow a deeper study of body physics rather than memorizing a form for form sake.

Datu Hartman a few years ago produced a CD with all 8 empty hand Anyos preformed in a linear fashion, a very good job by the way and I don't know if it is still available but if you were interested you might contact him.

Would it not then be up to you to adapt from the ordinal style what works best for you?

If I am speaking out of place I apologize, but I am just trying to share a path that works for me.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That was always how I understood the Professor--the forms were taught in a linear fashion for standardization but people were strongly encouraged to do a more flowing style if they felt that was a good fit with their base art (as at the time everyone came to Modern Arnis to augment another art). So Yes, adapting was always encouraged!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
DrBarber said:
You're quite welcome. I see that we have our differences of opinions, so why don't we just leave it at that and move on?

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Sounds good. It does seem like we're looking at the anyos with a different opinion. I'd be happy to exchange ideas. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Mike

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Pappy Geo said:
Dr Barber says: "In large measure the Anyos are linear and the basic movements of Modern Arnis are semi-circular in nature. "

You are correct with the above statement, however out here on the west coast we are taught via Datu Worden and consequently ourselves teach the empty hand Anyos in a circular flowing fashion.

If I am speaking out of place I apologize, but I am just trying to share a path that works for me.
Hi George, Actually, Prof. Presas taught the anyos in the Pac NW pretty much in a linear, Japanese kata stepping fashion. Kelly circularized the anyo for his group (neither good nor bad). You are not speaking out of place but adding information, which is welcomed on MT. Yours, Dan Anderson

Latest Discussions