how many women do you train with

Discussion in 'Women of the Martial Arts (Women Martial Artists)' started by addicted2MA, Nov 12, 2007.

1. addicted2MA

addicted2MA White Belt

during my last class i noticed that there were only two more guys than women training. about six guys to four women, but us women come more regularly.:)

so i was wondering how many women regularly with you all. include their rank and anything else about them you would like to add.

for me personally i train with three other women black belts, a shodan, sandan, and a yoandan. they are all such an inspiration to me as a young, impressionable female black belt. i am oh so lucky to have such great women to train with.

2. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Sadly none!

3. tellner

tellner Senior Master

Let's see, on a really good night there could be ten or twelve guys and five women.

In no particular order...

1. My wife has been at this about fifteen years and a lot of JKD/Kali/Muay Thai before that.
    2. Irene has been coming to class for about eight months. She has a BB (2nd dan?) in TKD which she is slowly unlearning
    3. Melissa has been at it on and off for about four years. She's had an interesting life, some Taiji and spent time in China learning CMA.
    4. Aisha had other Silat but has been coming to class here for a couple months.
    5. Vanessa is the teacher's daughter. She's been doing it on and off most of her life. She dipped into Kajukenbo as a social thing in her early teens.
    Tiel and Melissa are in their early forties. Irene is in her thirties. Aisha is in her mid-twenties, and Vanessa is about twenty three.

That's as high a proportion of women as I've ever seen in a mixed-sex martial arts class.

4. Sukerkin

Sukerkin Have the courage to speak softly

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • LifeTime Supporting Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    It's varied over time from a fifty-fifty split to the current forty-sixty.

Nearly all practioners, regardless of gender, also do (or have done) an empty handed art along with their Iaido and report that the number of women is still much less in the unarmed compared to the armed arts.

5. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise MT Moderator Staff Member

This seems too definately be true.

6. terryl965

terryl965 <center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR

• Martial Talk Alumni
    We have only three, Have no clue why. Now we have more girls and woman teenagers the boys go figure.

7. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Sr. Grandmaster

My wife trains with us in kenpo. There is one other woman in our group, but we have less than ten in our group.

In our tai chi group, there are many women. Most of them do tai chi for health, but a couple do external kung fu.

8. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng Sr. Grandmaster

Taiji
    5 men and 4 women – no rank but it is the advanced class

Sanda,
    just me - no rank

Xingyi (I use to train)
    It started with 6 men and 1 woman but it ended up just the 5 men – no Rank

9. Eternal Beginner

Eternal Beginner Brown Belt

In karate our class is about a 30% female to 70% male. In BJJ where we regularly have 40 people training we will have about 3-4 women. That is a HUGE improvement. I was the only female there for my first 2 1/2 years or training.

As for rank, in karate there is myself at brown belt, another female brown and the rest are scattered from white to blue. In BJJ I am the only blue and the other girls are white.

10. HelloKitty

HelloKitty Green Belt

I've seen six women besides myself in my school, but only a couple of them train regularly. They are two black belts, one red with black stripe, two green with blue stripe, and a white with yellow stripe girl. And me, I'm green belt.

Our classes are usually of 8 persons, two of them women. (actually I've never seen a class with 3 or 4 of them).

11. setboy

setboy Orange Belt

i train with two shichi dans and two sho dans.

and between 4 and 10 kyu ranks.

12. RachelK

RachelK Purple Belt

There are generally 15-20 people in my class. Two women, myself included. I am advanced, the other woman is a beginner.

There's a shortage of women in Systema. Some have theorized that this is because of the very close contact required; women find this off-putting. I don't know if that's true. Men probably find it off-putting at first, too.

I really have no idea why women don't go for Systema; it's a perfect martial art for women, as it does not rely upon superior strength or speed.

13. harlan

harlan 2nd Black Belt

Our karate study group has 2 students: one male/one female.

Kobudo has one student: female.

14. Laurentkd

Laurentkd Master Black Belt

Considering the adults only class (we have more "moms" who do it with their kids in the family class, but the adult class is for people who train because they truely love it, not because it is a fun activity to do with their kids for awhile, so I guess you would call that "my" class) we have at max 8 women when there are about 20-25 total in the class (but the majority of the time there are only 6). I am really excited to have this many women though! Most of them are much lower belts, but it seems like all the sudden we are having a boom in women participants. I think when a couple women come in and stick it out then women who walk in the door brand new feel like there are other women there so they stick it out too. At least that is the way it has seemed to work with us.

15. Tiberius

Tiberius Green Belt

I do judo at a class offered by my university. In my class its me and 8 girls. 6 of the girls are black belts or higher. Initially there were 3 more guys, but they stopped coming.

16. xkitax

xkitax White Belt

including myself...we have 3

17. Namii

Namii Green Belt

in both of my TKD and Gumdo classes, I am the only female. But in the whole school its probably 60% male 40% female out of all the students and classes.

18. shima

shima K3NPO

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    My current school in the adult class we have probably about 8 or so guys and 2 women. We have a 2 more women I know of that are teenagers, but they don't come to the adult class, so I only see them on Friday's during sparring. I'm used to being the minority so it doesn't bother me.

In my last school we had about 10 guys 3 girls, 2 of us were adults and 1 was a teenager.

In my first school I studied at I was a teenager still, in adult class though, we didn't have any adult females in that class but had 3-4 teenager females like myself and then the rest of the people (10ish? i'm a little fuzzy on the class roster at that school after so many years) were men.

19. SapphireStar

SapphireStar Yellow Belt

We are only about 3 women total in the Ryukyu Kempo classes, including the student teacher/uki. She and I are the ones there all the time, the other girl comes in when she can. I think in the higher level black belts there may be 2 or 3 that I know of. I don't see them very often, cause I don't attend Black Belt Fridays yet.

20. MPC1257

MPC1257 Yellow Belt

In our Kun Tao class there are 2 out of 16 regulars (3 classes per week) who are women (none hold a rank although Sara will be testing soon for her yellow belt). There are also 3-4 who usually attend only 1 class per week. None of the women are past 30 and one is 14-15 years old. All students male and female work out together and there are no issues when we work in the grappling range.

There are no women in the Pekiti Tirsia classes, I don't think there are any in the Jeet Kun Do, Grappling or Wing Chun classes either.
    There are a couple in the Tai Chi class which only has 3-4 students.
    I think that's it.