How Many Of Ya'll...

LegLockGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering how many of you JKD guys compete in MMA. (or even possibly MT/SanShou/Submission Wrestling)

At my gym, we put an emphasis that we compete. Alot of our techniques are proven methods that have worked in the street and the ring. We have a competition team (which I am on) and it got me thinking of how many of you guys do compete.

Tell me:

What you competed in (MMA, Sub Wrestling, MT, San Shou, ect)

Your record

If you are "Core" or "Concepts"

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess you could me call a concepts guy. It has been a while since I have competed. Back in 1995 I fought in the Bando Nationals held in Annapolis Maryland. I fought in the Black Belt Super-Heavy Weight Division and took a Bronze Medal. Bando is the general term for Burmese Martial Arts Arts including Bama Lethwei =Burmese Kickboxing. I fought a few Big Guys. LOL. Glad I did not come away more banged up than the other guys who did not place. Although I was competing in the Bando Free Fighting, I used a lot of JF/JKD strong side forward lead leg & hand techniques to good effect. Still I only took Bronze not Gold. We geared up with head gear, mouth piece, groin cup, shin guards, gloves 3 minute rounds, etc... similar to amateur (Sp?) MT. But the rules were more toned down. No offesive elbows= no elbows to body or head but you could elbow defensively to your opponents attacking punch, kick or knee. No framed knees to head or body= free/unframed knees to body or legs only. No knees to head at all. Low kicks to outer & inner thigh but no cut kicks to opponents support leg while he was kicking or kneeing ( It still happens though). Kicks to body & head were fair game. Punches to body & head. A bit watered down for hardcore Muay Thai fighters, but still no joke when you are mixing it up with super heavyweights. LOL. That was a while ago. A lot of younger guys throw down a bit more hardcore now, but let them. If I competed again it would be in seniors division of 35 yrs old and up. LOL. No grand champion, but I dont consider myself a sloutch either. LOL. I was lucky I guess.