How many Kenpo 10th degrees?

Dun Ringill

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Conatser,

Do you know which 10th degrees that Sigung Labounty, Si-bok Kelly, and Professor White recognize as legititmate 10 degrees?

OP
M

M F

There are some 6th degrees that probably deserve higher ranks, due to longevity and contributions to the art. :D I respect those who do not have an overwhelming desire to gain rank.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dun Ringill
Mr. Conatser,
Do you know which 10th degrees that Sigung Labounty, Si-bok Kelly, and Professor White recognize as legititmate 10 degrees?

Because they will have to express themselves to anyone that is interested in that question.

I will say that I have spoken to each on the subject and they all have opinions on the topic.

Each however, does think more of the Art than of what they wear on their belts. Their students, what and how they teach do most of the talking form them. Each have accomplished and has been a very important part of the History of American Kenpo. All three were close to Mr. Parker and remained so until his death.

These men respect the skills of ANY martial artist and are friends or Past instructors of some of those on the list. They enjoy the accomplishments of their "offspring" much more than their personal gains.

I sincerely respect their positions, modesty, and leadership.

:asian:

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Just to get to Black Belt some day.

Some days it feels farther away then others. :shrug:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoGirl
Just to get to Black Belt some day. Some days it feels farther away then others. :shrug:
That's natural. Keep in mind a "Black Belt" is only a belt. A Quality Black Belt Individual is what you should want! Again, the Art is in the heart not on the belt.

Persistence and consistency (along with accurate instruction) is the key. Each class is one step closer to the goal. You CAN do it, just train as hard and often as you can and be the BEST you can be! Aim for nothing but excellence, accept progress.

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by KenpoGirl
Just to get to Black Belt some day.
Some days it feels farther away then others. :shrug:

I'll give you your Black belt. But as the Gracie's say, "It only covers 2 inches of your @ss. You'll have to back the rest of it up yourself." Plus I will give you a quarter. If you get into trouble you can call me and I will listen to the problem and then tell you if you're a) royally screwed or b) you need to pick me up some take out.
:rofl:

OP
E

Elfan

Originally posted by nightingale8472
Well "Elfan" is a rather gender ambiguous name... I didn't want to use the wrong pronoun.

haha:D

I'm a guy btw.

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Originally posted by GouRonin
I'll give you your Black belt. But as the Gracie's say, "It only covers 2 inches of your @ss. You'll have to back the rest of it up yourself." Plus I will give you a quarter. If you get into trouble you can call me and I will listen to the problem and then tell you if you're a) royally screwed or b) you need to pick me up some take out.
:rofl:

sniff sniff :waah:

It's so touching the way you care. What a friend :wah:

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
That's natural. Keep in mind a "Black Belt" is only a belt. A Quality Black Belt Individual is what you should want! Again, the Art is in the heart not on the belt.

Persistence and consistency (along with accurate instruction) is the key. Each class is one step closer to the goal. You CAN do it, just train as hard and often as you can and be the BEST you can be! Aim for nothing but excellence, accept progress.

Thanks Dennis for the supportive words :D

I intent to keep going and doing the best I can. :karate:

And with a little help from my friends including my MT friends I know I can do it.

:cheers:

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you get into trouble you can call me and I will listen to the problem and then tell you if you're a) royally screwed or b) you need to pick me up some take out.

That was funny Gou.

Klondike (aka Chuck)

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

Sad thing is there are 3 "9th Degrees" that Deserve to be on the List more than "Most" of
the above!

Then who should or shouldn't in your opinion have a tenth?

OP
I

Iron Dog

:shrug: Yikes! I've been out of the loop for WAY to long. I can't really comment on who deserves and who doesn't, I don't know most of these gentlemen. It seems like an awful lot though. Are they all students of Mr. Parker? I mean REALLY students of Mr. Parker, not seminar takers.
Well who am I to try and figure this out, I guess the only questions in my mind are: Why? What for? and What has it done for you?
But, here's a question if anyone feels like answering it. The 3 gentlemen who are not 10th's, who were their pupils on that prestigious list?
I.D.
P.S. M F, great comment about the sixth degrees who deserve the higher rank. Kind of a those who stand quietly and serve thingy...

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kenpo Yahoo
Then who should or shouldn't in your opinion have a tenth?
LOL, I am not the person to ask that question. I beat to a different drum here. In my opinion the answer is the ones that have earned it and deserve it, through teaching, competing, and never ending contributions, who have the Art in their heart and not on their belts or wallets, finally ~ awarded for their accomplishments by their peers - friend and foe alike for the good of Ed Parker's American Kenpo System!

Not the ones who want it, need it, get it given to them by the good ole boy club or personal students, by someone not even a black belt holder, granted thru an organization that sells promotions based on time rather than skill and contribution to the Art of American Kenpo, by another self promoted individual that only wants to accumulate names under their banner to show quantity rather than quality and skill.

But that's just my opinion..... I may be wrong.

Dun Ringill

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Iron Dog hit it right on the head. How many people on that list were students of the Big 3. Also I think one would settle a lot of disputes by listing who has been at the art the longest in terms of what year did they begin.

OP
R

roryneil

I don't understand. Right on the AKSC website it lists Mr. Trejo as a 9th but twice here he has been listed as a 10th. What's the deal? He seems like the last person that would don a 10th.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by roryneil
I don't understand. Right on the AKSC website it lists Mr. Trejo as a 9th but twice here he has been listed as a 10th. What's the deal? He seems like the last person that would don a 10th.

What makes you think he would be the last person to don a 10th?
Just curious. For some those two Red Bars are awful cool looking I guess.

What is interesting was his acceptance to be "kicked into a rank" by someone that when Mr. Parker died was 2 or 3 degrees behind him. Go figure.

I guess some are seeing Red. ;)

Latest Discussions