How many instructos have parents that talk during class

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The thread I posted about students being disruptive in class ties in with these questions.

1) How many attend class where the parents or spectators aren't seperated from the class itself?

2) And are they disruptive to your class? By disruptive I mean by coaching the students, talking on their phones, discussing things amongst themselves etc. etc.

3) How do you handle it? Do you talk to the person, make a policy (write a letter and give to everyone), or let it go and don't worry about it?

At many of the Rec Centers that I have watched and participated in classes in there is no seperated area where the spectators can watch the students. Some like the class I wrote about before and even the class I teach at, the students can be just a few feet away depending upon how many students show up that day.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have a minor separation between our training mat and waiting area. We have a set of double doors that open into the waiting area from the mat. Folks get a good view of everything that's going on. Having folks on the mat during training for us would be dangerous as there are a lot of throws involved and someone would eventually get whacked with a flying aikido-ka. As for interruptions, we're very lucky in that each and every person we've had watch or wait in our gallery seems to understand that they need to be a little quieter than the training area. A couple of our parents have gotten up and left the training area when their children (the ones who're too young to train) have gotten loud so as not to interrupt the training area.

My first school was a completely different story...a horror story. The instructor there was just as much a problem as the parents and they seemed to feed off of one another so I won't even discuss how things were handled there.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In every dojo, dojang that I ever visited there was a seperate area for spectators and students..

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just ask them nicely to stop and if that does work Juda Chop them. If that still does not work ask them to leave.

On a serious note parents are just that parents they want to be involved in everything there child does so do Like I have started get them off the sidelines and into the class this way they are too bust working to talk.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The thread I posted about students being disruptive in class ties in with these questions.

1) How many attend class where the parents or spectators aren't seperated from the class itself?

2) And are they disruptive to your class? By disruptive I mean by coaching the students, talking on their phones, discussing things amongst themselves etc. etc.

3) How do you handle it? Do you talk to the person, make a policy (write a letter and give to everyone), or let it go and don't worry about it?

1) No separation AT ALL. The chairs are right inside the door, the training floor starts about 3 feet from the door. Parents are within arms reach of their children.

2) Not at all. The parents are extremely well behaved. I am always amazed....they don't say a word, they are not loud, they don't speak to us or their kids during class. I couldn't ask for a better group of parents.

3) No need....but there isn't a need because we have created a strict environment where it is not acceptable - and most importantly, where the INSTRUCTORS take care of it. We don't give them a reason to say anything.

I've been in situations before where parents were a problem. I was a kids soccer coach and with competitive sports like that....it gets BAD. These are very young kids. They are there to learn and have fun. In one situation, I had a grandmother who was constantly yelling at her child and worse, belittling him when he made a mistake and at times, the other children. The first time, I gave her a warning. Eventually, I told her that if it continued, she wouldn't be allowed to watch the games. When that didn't work, I told her that if SHE didn't behave, her child was out of the program. THEN, she stopped.

In another situation, I had a father who didn't agree with my calls (as a ref)....regularly. He would argue during the game while I was trying to watch what was going on. It went on for a few minutes, and I blew the whistle and told him that if he didn't agree, he was welcome to go volunteer to be a ref. If he didn't want to be a ref, he could either stop, or leave my field....and he stopped.

No longer an issue....and on top of that, he offered me a job with his company.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
As stated before I never instructed children/kids, but when I was attending Mr. Phillips' class, if he had such a problem and it became to loud, he would go over there and explain the situation to the individual and he was a small man, but very intimidating at times. Usually it was not a poblem, they were far enough away from the students.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Reading this thread brought back one of my most embarrassing moment in martial arts. I was doing Choi Kwang Do at the time and it was the last Friday class before Saturday's testing so the dojang was packed with pretty much all the students and our head coach was leading the class (a big deal since it was usually his two sons who taught).

So my aunt comes into the dojang a half an hour before class is over and starts calling out to me in a voice that could be heard all over the dojang "Omar, your mom said I should pick you up, get ready there's a cab downstairs." Then it got worse, not only did she disrupt the class but here's the kicker, she never stopped walking while yelling at me and by the time her sentence was done she was in the middle of the dojang during class walking straight towards me.

First and only time I've ever seen shoes that far into the dojang. I swear, if we were practicing kicks she would have got one in the face because she literally walked through the class towards me.

I furiously apologized to my coach and fellow students and explained that she didn't know dojang etiquette. She did learn though and picked me up from class several times after since she worked across the street.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Only rarely do I seperate the parents from the class. There have been occasions but only a few.
I have had parents disrupt class and they have been told to relax or please b silent while class was going on. I have also encourage cheering and such durring some things we where doing.
I have told some parents not to come back and to keep their kids at home also but I prefer not to discuss these events. Lets just say the parents steped way over the line

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have had parents disrupt class and they have been told to relax or please b silent while class was going on.
I think a lot of the issue comes from a fear of being rude. But as martial artists, most of us have that assertive personality, and you can be assertive without being rude.
Then again, I've been known to turn to someone babbling on a cell phone in a theater and tell them to "shut the ****ing phone off NOW!" :mst:
If you allow it to become a problem, it will. If you don't, it won't.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've seen it separated and also chairs right up to the mats, I prefer separation. I don't think it generally requires like walled in, glass etc, but it all depends on noise and the people you have in your school.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

At many of the Rec Centers that I have watched and participated in classes in there is no seperated area where the spectators can watch the students. Some like the class I wrote about before and even the class I teach at, the students can be just a few feet away depending upon how many students show up that day.

I've taught in schools where the viewing area was open to the class room area, as well as my last one that was seperated by a door and large window. Whether or not the viewers were noisey, I'd usually close the door. If people were exceptionally loud, I'd nicely ask them to speak in a softer tone. If things were still too loud, out of control, etc., I'd bring it to the attention of the head instructor.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, As far as for...as for parents, too much noise,cell phones.....

You can have written rules of etiquette behavior for parents while watching classes...

or verbal rules

IT IS THE INTRUCTOR WHO IS RUNNING THE CLASSES AND,and the teacher SHOULD BE RUNNING THE CLASSES IN ( CONTROL).

NO parents should be cheering or allow to interfere with each class....unfair to the other students...

If the Instructor does NOT SET the TONE..for parents behavior....it is Sensi's fault!

If the parents continue to interfere...than their kids should be remove and have the parents teach their own kids?

As Instructors....you will have to talk them in a very mature manner ,tone of voice...be polite, nice and smile....

QUESTION IS? ...who is running the classes...and who is responsible for the students learning?

THAT IS THE PERSON WHO SHOULD BE IN CHARGE AND CONTROL!

Aloha ( BE firm...be in control...be nice..smile)

OP
M

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Again thanks for the responses

I toally agree that the instructor needs to set the tone for the class for the students on the mat and for the spectators off of the mat. If there is a seperation (a wall) then that makes things much easier because the wall can help keep the noise down.

In my case I teach in a small room and as the class has gotten bigger the kids get closer to the parents. At first I had parents talking to or coaching, their kids, taking cell phones calls etc. etc. Now however for the most part all of that has died down. Many of the parents go outside of the room and look in through the doors so as not to be a distraction and they all leave when they get a call.

The only person I had to talk to really was my wife, who would gab with the other parents but a few looks from me when they (the spectators) got loud and a nice chat when I got home from teaching has pretty much solved that as well. Oh well my wife and my daughter (who is 7) when she plays dolls or colors with the younger girls after their class :wink1:.

In the class that I had referenced before in the other thread about parents interrupting the class when kids acted up they too have have a problem with parents being right off of the floor with no seperation due to having to teach in a small room. And there I think the parents feel free to coach or make comments to the students.

Mark

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Again thanks for the responses

I toally agree that the instructor needs to set the tone for the class for the students on the mat and for the spectators off of the mat. If there is a seperation (a wall) then that makes things much easier because the wall can help keep the noise down.

In my case I teach in a small room and as the class has gotten bigger the kids get closer to the parents. At first I had parents talking to or coaching, their kids, taking cell phones calls etc. etc. Now however for the most part all of that has died down. Many of the parents go outside of the room and look in through the doors so as not to be a distraction and they all leave when they get a call.

The only person I had to talk to really was my wife, who would gab with the other parents but a few looks from me when they (the spectators) got loud and a nice chat when I got home from teaching has pretty much solved that as well. Oh well my wife and my daughter (who is 7) when she plays dolls or colors with the younger girls after their class :wink1:.

In the class that I had referenced before in the other thread about parents interrupting the class when kids acted up they too have have a problem with parents being right off of the floor with no seperation due to having to teach in a small room. And there I think the parents feel free to coach or make comments to the students.

Mark

Hello, Still I believe the parents should wait till the classes is finish or the kids on on their water breaks.....(coaching)

Once one parents starts coaching...other parents may follow, during classes, than chaos...

We as Insturctors may not always be right or in full control at times (especially with the hiper kids)....still parents should lets us CONTROL THE CLASSES...

We are the role models and leaders for the students to follow and respect!STAY IN CONTROL....parents should not interfere with the learning process....even when we make mistakes, errors , or forget something...

after all as Teachers? ...we are learning too!

Yes there is some "give and take" in most situtions....BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!.....................Aloha

BudoTiger

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
at my old dojo the waiting room was semi separated from dojo floor. had a wall with a key hole opening. parents could see through it, but were still separate enough they couldn't interfere in class unless it got exceptionally loud. there were a few occasions that i had to ask parents to leave as they were interfering in private lessons that i taught, but for the most part we didnt have any problems.

at my new dojo that sensei just opened yesterday the only separation is some cubby holes for the shoes.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think a lot of the issue comes from a fear of being rude. But as martial artists, most of us have that assertive personality, and you can be assertive without being rude.
Then again, I've been known to turn to someone babbling on a cell phone in a theater and tell them to "shut the ****ing phone off NOW!" :mst:
If you allow it to become a problem, it will. If you don't, it won't.

While sitting and watching the messages about being quiet, and some are talking and others ar still on cell phones, I picked mine up and put it on cell phone and called someone. I then started reading the screen to them. Of course the eprson on the end was laughing so hard I had to speak louder so he could hear me. This got him laughing louder and harder, of course it only took a couple of minutes before everyone in the place was either standing or just watching me. I guess I had not needed to stand and pace in front of the screen. I understand the need for quiet discussion before a movie, but come on talking on the phone and talking so they hear you in the lobby?

In our training area, the benches are along a wall just off the map area. Some watch, others may stop by and watch. Most people are polite. Some beign to talk, I then ask them if they have questions. (* Subtle *) I ask them to be quiet. If they continue I ask them if they want to come out on the floor. To take their shoes off if they do. I then begin to demonstrate joint and finger locks on them, talking the complete time to the class, and not looking at them. The more they interrupt the more I demonstrate, there is no real damage as this is done slow and wiht control. If they complain I stop and ask them if it would be ok for me to come by their work and ask them if I could talk to them. Of course if it is a real question about training I answer it and usually move on. If it is about people looking for a new class I take them off to the side and turn the class over to someone else and talk to them. If they are looking for another class in the co-op I direct them to the schedule and do my best to get to the place they are looking for.

So there is the serious person and then there are those that are rude or do not understand.

Boar Man, I wish you the best in this resolution.

Latest Discussions