How many hours are enough

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We were talking today about the right amount of hours of training a instructor should do per week. The magority saig about 5 to 10 hrs a weekm a few of us said atleast 2 hrs a day early in the morning and then probaly an additional 2 every night while we are teaching..... can't wait to hear everybody thoughts about this subject....... God Bless America

H

Hanzo04

a truly dedicated instructor should train himself in the morning for about two hours before any classes start. and then do an hour of meditation at the end of the day to stay focused. that's what I'm gonna do when I get my own school.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a hypothetical question concerning this: if you, as an instructor, teach classes from noon until 9 at night and during these classes, do warmups, show forms, show techniques, show kicks, spar, even do some of the kicks with the class, how much energy do you have to practice two hours additional every day?
What if you have a family too?
I can understand a regimen to keep up a physical standard but there is only so much time in the day for life. I would say an hour and a half -2 hrs. at least 3 times a week for just the instructor.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm training about 10 hours a week right now, but I'm not an instructor. I think a large part of it depends on how you define "training" if you take conditioning related stuff like running, weights etc into consideration (which is how I got my number in part) then training 10 hours a week doesn't seem that insane.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Just a hypothetical question concerning this: if you, as an instructor, teach classes from noon until 9 at night and during these classes, do warmups, show forms, show techniques, show kicks, spar, even do some of the kicks with the class, how much energy do you have to practice two hours additional every day?
What if you have a family too?
I can understand a regimen to keep up a physical standard but there is only so much time in the day for life. I would say an hour and a half -2 hrs. at least 3 times a week for just the instructor.
TigarWoman Now that it is summer we run a summer camp inside the Dojaang,starts at 8am till 5 pm m-f... Our first class is at 9am for one hour, then the kids play games read books do some science projects,at 12pm is lunch, another workout is at 1pm, then its back to other activities until 5:30 pm when the next workout begins, at 6:45 is the second night workout and at 8pm is the last workout of the day.... My day starts at 5:30 in the am take my vitamins and then run atleast 2 miles then I work on forms and self defense with my wife, around 7:30am we leave for the school for that day... Now my three boy's work out every class of course the two young one's only give about 80% during the day time classes and 110% during the night time classes, my oldest which is 10 works out atleast every class because he wants to at 4pm m-f he leaves and goes to JOCC training with GrandMaster Chang Lee were they run him through the ringer for 2-3 hours evernight... Saturday is Kata or Poomse only so a light workout and of course Sunday is God Day around our house..... I hope this answer all your questions if not PM me and we can talk further... God Bless America:jediduel:

Latest Discussions