How many and differances in Shaolin Kempo

Iron Leopard

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'll agree with the above post! now of course there are other differences and in some kung fu styles there are hard blocks and powerful strikes and some linear movement. but overall!

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, generically speaking, Karate is a very hard, linear style ... whereas Kung Fu is generally more fluid and circular.

Thanks 14 Kempo. Now I understand what Hand Sword was saying about how it is linear at first and then circular as you advance on. Thanks agian.

B

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Thanks 14 Kempo. Now I understand what Hand Sword was saying about how it is linear at first and then circular as you advance on. Thanks agian.

B

Sorry for the late response, but I work 3rd shift..so you know....but, Yes, Kung Fu is considered a bit more complicated, with a lot going on at the same time. Now I'm not saying KF is better than Karate, or Karate is anything lesser as an art, but, it is easier to "get" as a beginner. It is taught first, primarily in SKK to build a solid base. It is "easy", and straight forward in it's application. Slowly along the way, you'll get the kung fu movements. Now I know they are not a specfifc style of kung fu, as many here have bashed about, but, it's evident that you are moving less "karate like" and more "Kung Fuish" if that makes sense.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It makes perfect sense to me and I couldn't have said it any better!

It does make perfect sense.

But just to make sure i get it would a more 'karate' feel be something like 1 pinan and something more 'Kung Fu' be like one of the kempo's maybe number 7 where you kinda flow and move around the attacker?

Let me know

B

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It does make perfect sense.

But just to make sure i get it would a more 'karate' feel be something like 1 pinan and something more 'Kung Fu' be like one of the kempo's maybe number 7 where you kinda flow and move around the attacker?

Let me know

B

1 Pinan is a good example of Karate. #18 DM/Combination would be an example of a more Kung-fu style technique.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
1 Pinan is a good example of Karate. #18 DM/Combination would be an example of a more Kung-fu style technique.

Ok. I dont have 18 yet i think that is purple belt material. Is there anything you can think of around orange that would be Kung-fu style? Thanks.

B

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok. I dont have 18 yet i think that is purple belt material. Is there anything you can think of around orange that would be Kung-fu style? Thanks.

B

Um, I don't think so. Aren't there any purple belts around that you can watch doing Combo 18?

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

B

No, I don't think so. You're still in the "karate" stage. Where everything is pretty straight forward, or sharp angled, and power based. Maybe, the soft circular parry on #6 combo, but, that's a stretch. You'd probably see it more in your "kempos" at that stage. However, Danjo is correct about watching the senior students move, You'll see a distinction. As for the feel, yes 1 pinion is karate, from Mas Oyama's style, I believe, and I'm not familiar with what you call #7 kempo. We didn't have specific numbered kempo's, just kind of a free flow. If you could explain #7, that'd be cool.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, I don't think so. You're still in the "karate" stage. Where everything is pretty straight forward, or sharp angled, and power based. Maybe, the soft circular parry on #6 combo, but, that's a stretch. You'd probably see it more in your "kempos" at that stage. However, Danjo is correct about watching the senior students move, You'll see a distinction. As for the feel, yes 1 pinion is karate, from Mas Oyama's style, I believe, and I'm not familiar with what you call #7 kempo. We didn't have specific numbered kempo's, just kind of a free flow. If you could explain #7, that'd be cool.

Thats not a problem, ill try at least. Here goes...

1. You start in a horse stance.
2. (as someone attacks) You shift you right back to make you body (perpindicular or 90 degrees) to your attacker, while throwing a #4 block (simaltaniously(sp?)
3. You then shift the same foot (right) back to about 135 degrees from the possition in step 2, while striking to the middle of the back with you right elbow, with same hand you do a tigers claw to the groin from behind then a backfist to the back of neck (just below the head)
4. then reach over your right shoulder with your left hand and grab their gi, shirt whatever and with you right leg sweep backwards and pull down at the same time
5. (this is really a continuation of step 4 but i feel it will be easier to understand this way) You continue the leg through theirs, as they fall to the ground you end in a lunge stance (right leg back) and you strke to the face

Hope that is clear if you need me to clarify please feel free to ask questions

B

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a kung fu feel. Just curious, the claw to the groin, and backfist, come off the elbow strinke, while you're back to back? Karate would destroy the incoming attack, as opposed to rolling off, and go through the opponent.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a kung fu feel. Just curious, the claw to the groin, and backfist, come off the elbow strinke, while you're back to back?

You are not 'back to back' persay, there is more or less a 20 - 25 degree angle between you (if that makes sense), but other than that yes you are correct the elbow strike, then claw to groin then backfist

quick question for me. You said a soft parry in combo 6, in my 6 it is only a front ball to the solarplexus then cross and cover. Is it taugh in two stages (one for lower rank, one for higher rank)? Maybe yours is different, would you mind describing yours? Thanks

B

ps-HAHA 100th post, and wasnt ready for it to say green belt, thought it would say purple (thats how our belt system is) LOL

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I first learned it, many moons ago, I too just had a front kick to the floating ribs. A little while after that, it became a soft parry with your left hand and a simultaneous front kick to the groin. Later, a dragon trap was added in place of the parry, for further stuff, and the kick was to the groin, knee, tummy, or ribs. Usually, to the groin.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I first learned it, many moons ago, I too just had a front kick to the floating ribs. A little while after that, it became a soft parry with your left hand and a simultaneous front kick to the groin. Later, a dragon trap was added in place of the parry, for further stuff, and the kick was to the groin, knee, tummy, or ribs. Usually, to the groin.

Ok, i know that some of the combos have 'add-ons' at higher ranks. Ive got class tonight (im going barring my knee) so maybe i will be able to catch combo 18.

I see now that more or less the kempos seem to be more circular, a few of them you move around the attack and the counter attack also combos 5 & 10 are sort of the same way. This denotes a more Kung-Fu style am I correct in this thinking?

B

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I study SKK, but im pretty sure I only recieve combos 5 & 10 at orange. I will check though.

B

Um, I would check your manual if I were you. You receive 2,5 and 18 at orange. You do not get 10 until blue. Trust me on this one...

Latest Discussions