How long to Black Belt?

How Long to reach Black Belt in your style?

• less than 2 years

• 2 to 2yrs 6mnths

• 2yrs 6mnths to 3yrs

• 3yrs to 3yrs 6mnths

• 3yrs 6mnths to 4yrs

• 4yrs to 4yrs 6mnths

• more than 4yrs 6mnths

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
In Genbukan Ninpo, it's somewhere between 5 to 10 years, and usually more towards the latter.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
that seems to depend on the art. I study an Okinawan art. averidge seems to be about 6.8 to 8 years. some a bit faster, a fair amount a bit longer.

the thing you must understand is that the test for an Okinawan art for Shodan ho is for all the Kata in the system, and that includes the weapons Kata.. spirit training and endurance training as well at least in our styles case.

but each art sets its own curriculum and testing criteria and standards.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My school says 3-5 years, but unless you have no other obligations and don't ever get sick or injured, I think 5 is about right.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After almost 8 1/2 years of training, I tested and passed my black belt test just this morning!!! :bangahead:

Robyn :D

I missed this earlier... that's great, OD! Nothing else feels quite like that, eh? And after 8.5 years of training, you can be pretty damned sure you really did earn that belt!

My school/style sets about 5 years for the lower limit on training time... not set in advance, but that's how it plays out.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It takes about four years to reach it in aiki ninjutsu, but only if you are very diligent. Some people earn it faster, some people earn it slower. It all depends one when you reach an understanding of the skills you are working on at each belt level.

Aniela13

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It took me 8 years when I studied Kenpo, but I started when I was 6; by comparison, one of my friends started in high school, and it took him just over 3 years. I believe the time range for those at my Cha San Ryu school tends to be 3-6 years, but I know from experience that going to every class possible and putting in plenty of extra time can speed that up ;) (With graduation looming in the relatively near future, my goal--that instructors tell me is reasonable if I continue to put in the work I have been--is to reach that milestone in ~1.5 years total. But it's also my second art, which changes things too! I really just want the chance to teach before I might have to move away for grad school; I want to give back to my instructors as another instructor if that is at all possible!)

~Ani

Sandwich

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My style was Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, unfortunately the club closed down. The average is about 10 years of fairly regular training.

There are a few exceptions, though. BJ Penn got his black belt in only 3 and a half years, which is pretty much unheard of. However, his dad is rolling in the dough and was able to pay for a lot of private lessons to supplement his 5 day a week training.

They don't call him "The Prodigy" for nothing.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

In the Kenpo I study, and most Kenpo systems, I believe the average time to black belt (Shodan) is 4 to 5 years. Most students who work hard and attend regularly make it just shy of the 5 year mark. Of course, there are exceptions on both sides.
Took me 10 years... :) I am a slow learner, I guess.
I would really question a Kenpo (any system) black belt with 3 or less years in. Like fine wine, Kenpo takes time. Should be the case with any martial art, I think?

Thanks,
Milt G.

Draven

Green Belt
Reaction score
It all depends on how much work you want to put into your training, it took my 4 years to reach shodan in Shotokan and 2 years to reach nidan in Goju (because they allowed me to test for Shodan day one based on my shotokan training). I did the Bujinkan thing when it was called Togakure Ryu here in the states and it took me a year from 10th Kyu to Shodan.

I personally set an hourly time requirement, you have to log X amount of hours of dojo training...

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My style was Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, unfortunately the club closed down. The average is about 10 years of fairly regular training.

There are a few exceptions, though. BJ Penn got his black belt in only 3 and a half years, which is pretty much unheard of. However, his dad is rolling in the dough and was able to pay for a lot of private lessons to supplement his 5 day a week training.

They don't call him "The Prodigy" for nothing.
I will be curious to see what the time frame is from beginner to black belt when one takes the classes online through the Gracie online university. Up to this point, BJJ grading is highly regarded.

Daniel

Hakkapeliitta

White Belt
Reaction score
I practise Seven Star Praying Mantis. In our school, it takes a fairly long time to reach black belt status, a bit over seven years if you do it in the shortest time possible.

etali

White Belt
Reaction score
In my style they say that the "average" person will take three years. Some people do it sooner, others take longer. It's possible to rocket through the lower belts, but the actual black belt test is very demanding. The emphasis is 100% on ability, rather than "time served".

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In my system of Karate it takes the minimum of 4 years, sometimes 5 years to get to Black Belt. If you started at childhood and adolescent years, it would take longer, since my school won't allow students under 16 to grade for Black Belt.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why would a jedi need a black belt? Couldn't you just choke mofos from across the room?

Latest Discussions