How is your Hapkido ground game?

Disco

Green Belt
Reaction score
In a self defense aspect... isn't it better to cover all possibilities and hope you never have to use the techniques? I'm almost certain there are guys out there that watch mma on tv and are waiting to try it on someone. I don't want to be that someone, nor do I want to just allow it to happen.

Without any previous training in any kind of "ground work" someone accustomed to the idea of a stand up fight is going to be in a serious disadvantage as they panic when they are put into an unfamiliar and painful (or choking) position. The ground survival video and seminars give those of us without cross training capabilities some options to work with. Master Rivas said it better himself.

Before I had any brazilian jiu-jitsu experience I would've been in a lot of trouble on the ground. Now that I've had a taste of this as well, it's just a matter of time before I'm right at home on the ground. Rivas' program offers another means to that better ending. It's always good to have options, right? Especially options that get you back up quickly and impart the many vs. one mindset. The whole seminar, Master Rivas was constantly reminding us that there's probably going to be two or three more coming.

Now this is where we get back into that constant loop effect of justifying a "ground game". We have already stipulated that there are techniques already being taught to remove ones self from a grounded position with post haste and as you stated, Mr. Rivas eluded to this aspect and if he in fact is showing variations of "nasty" clear cut harmful tactics, that are part and parcel of Hapkido's mindset, that's a different story, but what was viewed on the link was not those applications. Those techniques have nothing to do with "rolling" with the attacker, but seriously inflicting damage. They don't require folks to be in top physical shape as both Mr. Rivas and the vast majority of folks that want to pursue the MMA trend strive for or are at. Again, we have an agreement that it's a "young bucks" game, but that's the crux of the subject, it's not "rolling" or a "game" when it's for real.

(And the "tackle GM P" thing was my meager attempt at humor... I guess that's why I'm not a comedian. No offense intended sir.)

No offense was taken, I just thought you were attempting to make a point within the context of the discussion.........:)

In a self defense aspect... isn't it better to cover all possibilities and hope you never have to use the techniques? I'm almost certain there are guys out there that watch mma on tv and are waiting to try it on someone. I don't want to be that someone, nor do I want to just allow it to happen.

What those guys see and want to do on the street have no reflection on what someone can do to them in return. They are not privy to that because the T.V. MMA bouts they watch do not allow those actions.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Open question to anyone who has gone to one of these seminars, have you ever seen MR. P on the floor doing these techniques/tactics? Now I've seen him go to the ground from a standing arm bar position, but have never seen him doing these........... Just asking, nothing more.........

No, I dont think anyone would want too..I have been the Uke many times for GMP, and let me tell you he is FAST...He doesnt need to go-to-the-ground..He will remain standing while YOU go to the ground..

Disco

Green Belt
Reaction score
No, I dont think anyone would want too..I have been the Uke many times for GMP, and let me tell you he is FAST...He doesnt need to go-to-the-ground..He will remain standing while YOU go to the ground..

I'm...................Ah! Never mind!!.................................

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heh...ground game in Hapkido is better translated as "last ditch".

To echo what has already been said, you're better off supplementing with another art to get that specific skillset.

I will say that I am lucky enough my Hapkido teacher was friends with the Sensei of a chicago LEO judo and jujutsu club that we had the opportunity to train with. I felt better about myself overall after training with those gorrillas for a while. So..take what you will out of that.