How important is rank in a school owner, really?

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Update:

I got my blue belt in BJJ a few weeks ago, and have been coaching in the kid's BJJ class. I feel it's definitely where I'm supposed to be right now.

Due to a few different factors (unrelated to my rank) I'm reconsidering opening my own school. Instead, just keep my day job and be a student wherever I'm training.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Update: My mom quit the TKD school and joined the women's cardio kickboxing class at my BJJ gym.

Her goals in TKD were:
  1. Coach the little kids, because she loves babies and toddlers.
  2. Learn Taegeuk 6-8, because when our old school switched she only learned 1-5. She also knew Koryo and Keumgang in order to get her 2nd degree (our school puts both into the 1st-to-2nd requirements).
  3. Get exercise.
  4. Practice strikes.
She was frustrated trying to teach the kid's class because she can't figure out what stripe you need to be for what. I was also struggling with this after 3 months. The tots class at this school is white belts with longitudinal stripes for each belt color, and then multiple tape stripes of different colors for every little thing, and you're only supposed to teach them exactly what they need at each stripe. For example, if you have your form stripe, you don't do forms anymore, you do whatever the next stripe is.

She also has quit judging. Initially he wanted us to judge, to show that we were high rank even though we don't know his curriculum. He never gave us the opportunity to do anything but sit there (never graded a paper, never offered any advice, just sat there silently). So he never saw any value in us judging, and asked them to stop because they don't know the curriculum.

She can't practice Taegeuk 6-8 because he only will let her practice Keumgang, because she needs it for her next test. She needs the Taegeuks, too. She's not getting exercise because his classes are so low intensity, and they are super cautious with any adult putting in any effort at all into the workout. And the only strikes he does in class are roundhouse kicks.

She finally had enough and tried the cardio kickboxing class at my school's BJJ gym. She got in a great workout. I talked to the instructor after, she said my Mom's a beast, that she did all the workouts and all the combos without any modifications. My Mom signed up right after class.

Then my Mom came up to me while I was trying to start the BJJ warmups. "I forgot my credit card. Can you pay for me?"

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
She was frustrated trying to teach the kid's class because she can't figure out what stripe you need to be for what. I was also struggling with this after 3 months. "
When I started running a school I knew I had to prepare for this so assistant instructors and students knew what to do. So using the organizations national requirements as a core I created requirement sheets listing the requirement for the rank, The first one is attached to the student handbook each new student receives. I learned it took to long for kids to learn an entire sheet so I split the Gup sheets in 2 parts by making certain items bold faced and underlined which was the first half gup test and then the entire sheet for the next test. The student gets the next sheet when they pass the full gup test This let all assistants easily determine what the student needed as well as shifting some responsibility to the student repeatedly telling them a few weeks before the test to look at their sheets and ask about anything they need help on It also serves as a reminder for home practice,

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I started running a school I knew I had to prepare for this so assistant instructors and students knew what to do. So using the organizations national requirements as a core I created requirement sheets listing the requirement for the rank, The first one is attached to the student handbook each new student receives. I learned it took to long for kids to learn an entire sheet so I split the Gup sheets in 2 parts by making certain items bold faced and underlined which was the first half gup test and then the entire sheet for the next test. The student gets the next sheet when they pass the full gup test This let all assistants easily determine what the student needed as well as shifting some responsibility to the student repeatedly telling them a few weeks before the test to look at their sheets and ask about anything they need help on It also serves as a reminder for home practice,
He has charts all over, but there are so many different systems within his own school, and he uses a lot of shorthand and hangul, so it's hard to keep track.

There are two different versions of white belt: the "Tigers" class, which is designed for 4-6-year-olds who go through 6 different white belts that each have multiple tape stripes, and the regular white belts (age 7+ or so) that have a different set of tape stripes, and only go through solid white and then white+yellow.

He then has a color belt curriculum, which learns the Taegeuks and a few other things. Then the "deputy" curriculum, which is to review the color belt curriculum, but with a slightly different order to some things. Then a different combination of review + new for each degree of black belt.

1st degree black belt takes 8 tests to get through. There are seven levels, then you test for 2nd. 2nd and 3rd degree take either 2 or 7 levels. I'm not sure, because I've heard different amounts from different people. He says 2, but some of the 2nd degrees think they need 7.

The verbiage and numbering for the same stuff is different in every version of the curriculum (tots, white, color, deputy, black) and certain requirements (i.e. Taegeuk 4) keep getting turned off and on that it's hard to keep track.

My old Master had more stuff in the curriculum, but it was easier to keep track of, because you need "Green Belt Punch Defense" at green belt, and that was it.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
He has charts all over, but there are so many different systems within his own school, and he uses a lot of shorthand and hangul, so it's hard to keep track.
Point being the systems need to be constructed so anyone can follow it. Unless the point is the old stories of instructors changing stuff to keep students dependent,

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Update: My mom quit the TKD school and joined the women's cardio kickboxing class at my BJJ gym.

Her goals in TKD were:
  1. Coach the little kids, because she loves babies and toddlers.
  2. Learn Taegeuk 6-8, because when our old school switched she only learned 1-5. She also knew Koryo and Keumgang in order to get her 2nd degree (our school puts both into the 1st-to-2nd requirements).
  3. Get exercise.
  4. Practice strikes.
She was frustrated trying to teach the kid's class because she can't figure out what stripe you need to be for what. I was also struggling with this after 3 months. The tots class at this school is white belts with longitudinal stripes for each belt color, and then multiple tape stripes of different colors for every little thing, and you're only supposed to teach them exactly what they need at each stripe. For example, if you have your form stripe, you don't do forms anymore, you do whatever the next stripe is.

She also has quit judging. Initially he wanted us to judge, to show that we were high rank even though we don't know his curriculum. He never gave us the opportunity to do anything but sit there (never graded a paper, never offered any advice, just sat there silently). So he never saw any value in us judging, and asked them to stop because they don't know the curriculum.

She can't practice Taegeuk 6-8 because he only will let her practice Keumgang, because she needs it for her next test. She needs the Taegeuks, too. She's not getting exercise because his classes are so low intensity, and they are super cautious with any adult putting in any effort at all into the workout. And the only strikes he does in class are roundhouse kicks.

She finally had enough and tried the cardio kickboxing class at my school's BJJ gym. She got in a great workout. I talked to the instructor after, she said my Mom's a beast, that she did all the workouts and all the combos without any modifications. My Mom signed up right after class.

Then my Mom came up to me while I was trying to start the BJJ warmups. "I forgot my credit card. Can you pay for me?"
I have said this countless times, 'it is more about the school/instructor than it is style'. No exceptions.

I cannot comment to the frenetic nature of you and your mothers previous TKD training and experiences but are indicators that they were a belt mill or McDojang. But please, do Not paint all TKD with the same brush. Nothing could be farther from the truth.
I have also said many times before that a person should not be in a hurry and audit the schools in their area before committing their time, effort, and money to a school.
Especially since you have a good amount of experience, this should be easier for you.

Based on some of your recent posts, it would appear you are just learning there are several movements and techniques that are used by most different styles. Maybe they go by a different name, but they are largely the same thing. And there has always been some degree of amalgamation in the martial arts.
So, don't be surprised when your BJJ class uses the same techniques you have practiced in TKD, and vice-versa. It gets really cool when you start combining your training between different styles.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Point being the systems need to be constructed so anyone can follow it. Unless the point is the old stories of instructors changing stuff to keep students dependent,
I think he had his reasons at the time, and each minor change from one to the next is only a minor change, until they become their own thing entirely.

Kind of like the difference between Antz and A Bug's Life.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes Sir, I have lived that one for a long time.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think he had his reasons at the time, and each minor change from one to the next is only a minor change, until they become their own thing entirely.
It is common for this type of thing in all sorts of industries to be updated. Sheets are kept in notebooks with revisions replacing old stuff and each sheet having a footer noting the revision date. Also a sheet listing the current revision for each item so everyone knows their materials are up to date. In the 1970's developed requirement books.

screamingskull

Orange Belt
Reaction score

There are two different versions of white belt: the "Tigers" class, which is designed for 4-6-year-olds who go through 6 different white belts that each have multiple tape stripes, and the regular white belts (age 7+ or so) that have a different set of tape stripes, and only go through solid white and then white+yellow.

He then has a color belt curriculum, which learns the Taegeuks and a few other things. Then the "deputy" curriculum, which is to review the color belt curriculum, but with a slightly different order to some things. Then a different combination of review + new for each degree of black belt.

1st degree black belt takes 8 tests to get through. There are seven levels, then you test for 2nd. 2nd and 3rd degree take either 2 or 7 levels. I'm not sure, because I've heard different amounts from different people. He says 2, but some of the 2nd degrees think they need 7.

The verbiage and numbering for the same stuff is different in every version of the curriculum (tots, white, color, deputy, black) and certain requirements (i.e. Taegeuk 4) keep getting turned off and on that it's hard to keep track.

My old Master had more stuff in the curriculum, but it was easier to keep track of, because you need "Green Belt Punch Defense" at green belt, and that was it.
Geeze...i vote this as the most boring insignificant post ever...

Latest Discussions