How important in Conditioning to you

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not at all, I'm saying in other words that opinions aren't scientifically proven. So everyone has their "own truth", which is fine by me.

You are making assumptions that my reasoning is designed to flame others or topics which isn't the case.

You can always put me on block if you don't like to read my posts, it's really simple and doesn't require any tutorial.
the science of physical conditioning is pretty well proven, the only difference of opinion is how much you need to a street fight, and the guy who is saying "not that much" is already in fantastic shape, so is seeing things differently to those of us that are trying to get there,

after that its information sharing, i did it this way and it worked for me, which it good info and an interesting ,discussion,

you seem to not want people to share their experience, which is what the,forum is largely about, if you just,want,FACTS go on Wikipedia

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is it that hard to read?
not hard , just misguided, lots of the folk on here are experts, the opinion of experts is valuable, you could pay a lot of money to get the guidance you can get on here for free,

as it is you appear to just be sniping for the fun of it, if you disagree with any of the opinions stated then say which and we can debate them, you just seem to be objectioning to the fact people are,expressing them

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Generally true, but even if you only train for self-defense there are some good reasons to train your conditioning.

• You might have to fight for a bit and then run. Good to have some lung power left to do so.
  • You might be running away from your assailants, get caught, and then have to fight. Good to not already be exhausted.
  • You might have to fight after some other exhausting activity - digging your car out of a snow bank or helping a friend move all his furniture into his new 3rd story apartment.
  • The better conditioned you are, the longer you can train and spar, resulting in a higher skill level available when you need it for real.
  • Even if you don't ever get into a fight, being in good shape will help your general health and quality of life.

My conditioning isn't at the level I want it to be, but it's all relative. I'm comparing myself to the serious amateur and professional competitors and fighters I often work out with who are half my age. Compared to them, I'm in pathetic shape and can only hang with them in sparring because I know how to move efficiently and conserve my energy. On the other hand, if you compare me to my peer group of 53 year old computer programmers, I'm in fantastic shape. Putting my ego aside, I'd rather compare myself to the young fighters, because it gives me motivation to train harder.
yes indeed its easy to get lost in a middle aged fantasy that you are as good as you ever were, and if you are only comparing yourself to others of your age group, then it can be quite a low standard you are comparing yourself against.

I've just been down the woods do my work out and worked in with two early twenty yo , doing pull ups and dips, they are skinny as hell and a bit patronising, saying careful don't give your self a heart attack. But its a serious reality check on my fitness, i can't do muscle up and they can, i did match them pull up for pull up, in 5x10 ,i can do " wind,screen wipers" and they can't (haha) , but i could only manage 1x10 and 4x5 on the dips whilst they,did 5x10, and they,criticised my form, and they can do one handed press ups and i can't,,,

, so all in all not to bad, i weight 40lb more than they do, but it doesn't half make me try harder,,, but more work to do

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Old Chinese saying said:

- Strength can defeat 10 best techniques.
- Everything can be countered. Only extreme speed and extreme power cannot be countered.
- Kung Fu < strength < courage.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Generally true, but even if you only train for self-defense there are some good reasons to train your conditioning.

Of course there are. I don't think I ever said (or even hinted) that conditioning didn't matter.
What I said was that it's LESS important for defense than for competition.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my opinion - conditioning the core is key. It is the rock on which the foundation is built.

Conditioning the mind. It will help in any and all parts of martial training. Mental conditioning will help in everything you do in life. But is it for you? Nahhh.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In my opinion - conditioning the core is key. It is the rock on which the foundation is built.

Conditioning the mind. It will help in any and all parts of martial training. Mental conditioning will help in everything you do in life. But is it for you? Nahhh.
it hard to argue with that, but !!!!!

what do you mean by the core?
and
what sort of mental conditioning are you talking about,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
on the subject of excersise, I'm all ways looking for new thing to show off with, sorry build my conditioning, and ive,come up with one I've never,seen done before, so i was wondering if its flash or just unusual? and if anyone else can do it
go in to a push up position, with you feet near a wall, put your feet on the wall, so you are planking with your body parallel to the floor, just holding you feet in place by pushing backwards with your arms, and then whilst maintain you feet pushed to the wall , do push ups,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Core is the ability to function your whole body as one unit. The following training doesn't build up you big muscle. It builds up your core function.

bit I'm asking what muscles make up the,core, people keep saying core but won't answer this simple question.?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
bit I'm asking what muscles make up the,core, people keep saying core but won't answer this simple question.?

What muscles make up stamina?

But yeah core seems to be standard exercise with added stability exercise.

Which would be hard to pin down.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

That would be the muscles most used for the techniques you're using. So it varies. Core for a kicker isn't the same (though there will be overlap) as core for a grappler.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's always a choice like I gave you before, but you seems to like going at me, like you started this discussion about my remark and derailing the whole discussion at hand.

@jobo who the hell made you an expert? I don't know your credentials so should I treat you like an expert or like a fellow enthousiast? The 2nd is more likely.....
i am an "expert," just not in ma,, lots of my fellow posters are

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I will give it a try.............. the Torso core muscle groups are........

Abdominals types:-

• Internal and external abdominal obliques
  • Tranversus abdomiinis
  • Rectus abdominals

Hip Musculature types:-

• Illopsoas
  • Tensor fasciae latae
  • Rectus femoirs
  • Pectineus
  • Gluteus maximus
  • Aductor brevis
  • Longus and magnus
  • Gemellus superior and inferior
  • Obturator intenus and extemus
  • Quadratus femoris
  • Medius
  • Femoris
  • Pirisfromis
  • Sartorious

Spinal Musculature types:-

• Erector spinae
  • Illocastalis lumborum and thoracis
  • Rotatores
  • Lattissiums dorsi
  • Serratus anterior
  • Trapezius
  • Psoas major
  • Paraspinals
  • Multifidis
  • Quadratus lumborum

If I'm wrong I know I'm close enough with out being a doctor thats what I have learned over the years and still learning.........................................................

Here are some images and I have other stuff that I own for study.

7e0d1963ce047cd97d637dfb0afc267c.jpg

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
it hard to argue with that, but !!!!!

what do you mean by the core?
and
what sort of mental conditioning are you talking about,

As they say in Pidgin [Hawaiian slang] out here....Wha, Google stay broke?

Here. Do a couple of sets of all of these. Later, the parts of your body that really feel worked - that's your core. My guess is you probably knew that.

15 Core Strengthening Exercises for Athletes

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As they say in Pidgin [Hawaiian slang] out here....Wha, Google stay broke?

Here. Do a couple of sets of all of these. Later, the parts of your body that really feel worked - that's your core. My guess is you probably knew that.

15 Core Strengthening Exercises for Athletes
i know what i think they are! Other people,seem to have different interpretation, which is why i asked

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will give it a try.............. the Torso core muscle groups are........

Abdominals types:-

• Internal and external abdominal obliques
  • Tranversus abdomiinis
  • Rectus abdominals

Hip Musculature types:-

• Illopsoas
  • Tensor fasciae latae
  • Rectus femoirs
  • Pectineus
  • Gluteus maximus
  • Aductor brevis
  • Longus and magnus
  • Gemellus superior and inferior
  • Obturator intenus and extemus
  • Quadratus femoris
  • Medius
  • Femoris
  • Pirisfromis
  • Sartorious

Spinal Musculature types:-

• Erector spinae
  • Illocastalis lumborum and thoracis
  • Rotatores
  • Lattissiums dorsi
  • Serratus anterior
  • Trapezius
  • Psoas major
  • Paraspinals
  • Multifidis
  • Quadratus lumborum

If I'm wrong I know I'm close enough with out being a doctor thats what I have learned over the years and still learning.........................................................

Here are some images and I have other stuff that I own for study.

7e0d1963ce047cd97d637dfb0afc267c.jpg
that's a comprehensive answer, but different than what the other guy has said they are, he has focused on the abs area and lower back, you seem to have included just,about,all the muscles in the torso, with the,exception of the pecs for some reason?

how are you supposed to do a core work out if nobody can agree what/ where the core is?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's a comprehensive answer, but different than what the other guy has said they are, he has focused on the abs area and lower back, you seem to have included just,about,all the muscles in the torso, with the,exception of the pecs for some reason?

how are you supposed to do a core work out if nobody can agree what/ where the core is?
By picking a definition and working with it. To me, "core" is the muscles with primary involvement in keeping us upright from the pelvis up (so, not the legs,etc.) to the clavicles (so not the neck). Pecs wouldn't be in there.

Latest Discussions