How hard would it be?

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does anyone know how hard it would be to get the closed refineries back up and running? Is it a matter of only pushing a few buttons? Are they so outdated the EPA will have a burr in their *** and say it'll take years and millions of dollars to get them up to date and working? I'm sitting here wondering if they are in good condition and still useable. We really stuck ourselves for closing them down. I have also read numerous times about how we export a lot of our own oil from Alaska to other countries. Do you think it's time that we start to take care of ourselves? I heard on the radio this morning that Venezuala has offered us discounted prices on a barrel of oil. If this is the case I think we should take them up on it. Any other thoughts?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure how easy it will be to restart the refineries, but part of our problem is that we have not built a refinery over the past 25 years. The ones we have have been running at 98% capacity, which pretty much means that any disruption in production stifles the economy, as we are now seeing.

I'd be curious to see how the debate over ANWR (sp?) is going to go... The problem of oil is not the question right now, just a problem of refining the oil to heating gas and gasoline...

MrH

Latest Discussions