How far will you go for good training?

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Gary there is one of the oldest Modern Arnis clubs (If not the oldest) in Michigan at our place. I would be hard pressed to say you could find better Mod. Arnis than at the Flint club. Plus it's close to ya!!!;)

Marvin,

Thanks! I was able to contact Mr. Parsons and will be trying it out the 2nd Sunday in January!!! I am VERY GEEKED to say the least! After the first, I am on a different work schedule so the times work for me now with my move to midnights.

Hope you and yours had a great Christmas!

Gary

Gurokevin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I travel from Alabama USA to England (4500 Miles) for training all the time. And I am going to start to fly to California and maybe even Australia for training.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I travel from Alabama USA to England (4500 Miles) for training all the time. And I am going to start to fly to California and maybe even Australia for training.

OK, you win for going the furthest of anybody posting here so far! You rank right up thare with folks who go to live in Asia to train in the home countries of their chosen art. How do you manage it? And, what arts do you study? I see that you have Wing Tsun/Chun experience from your other posts, and your alias "Guro..." suggests FMAs as well. Who do you train with in England? Australia?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
most of the time the people i train under are a minimum of 3 hours away. i have been known to take 8 hour (one way) drives for training

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Marvin,

Thanks! I was able to contact Mr. Parsons and will be trying it out the 2nd Sunday in January!!! I am VERY GEEKED to say the least! After the first, I am on a different work schedule so the times work for me now with my move to midnights.

Hope you and yours had a great Christmas!

Gary

Update:

Seems I didn't need to go far to find what I was looking for! :)

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I once travelled almost 400 miles two weekends a month to train. Now, I either drive a few minutes down the street, or we train in my garage.

Gurokevin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
OK, you win for going the furthest of anybody posting here so far! You rank right up thare with folks who go to live in Asia to train in the home countries of their chosen art. How do you manage it? And, what arts do you study? I see that you have Wing Tsun/Chun experience from your other posts, and your alias "Guro..." suggests FMAs as well. Who do you train with in England? Australia?

Yes I study Wing Chun (WSL way). And I do study FMA's. MY Focus in FMA's right now is Balintawak under GM Taboada. But I have studied the FMA's for about 15 years now. I have studied WC for about 26 years. I also have studied and have certs in Muay Thai, JKD, BJJ and Silat.

When I go out of the country, I mainly go and see friends as well as teachers. Like in England, I go see my friend and Sifu Lucas Castrounis. He is in Reading England. I will be going out this summer to California to see Sifu Gary Lam. And hopefully get to go to Australia this year or early next year to see Sifu David Peterson. I also travel about 5 1/2 hours from my house to see GM Taboada.

ktjf

White Belt
Reaction score
i dont do wing chun, but if you really want to learn as much as possible, i believe you will go as far as it takes.

Latest Discussions