How does your art compete?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In Taekwondo, we talk alot about competition, including sparring styles, poomses (kata), breaking, etc. But there are many arts out there that I've never seen in a competition or heard any discussion about. So my question is: Does your art compete and if so, in what form?

Ross

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:
In Taekwondo, we talk alot about competition, including sparring styles, poomses (kata), breaking, etc. But there are many arts out there that I've never seen in a competition or heard any discussion about. So my question is: Does your art compete and if so, in what form?

Well, in Kenpo we have scoring by judges for divisions such as Forms (katas), weapons forms, self defense techniques, and sparring.

Unfortunately, I have always had reservations about point sparring that we do in Kenpo and have recently witnessed some questionable ways of winning a fight.

Kenpo is more geared towards actual combat and street self defense but by having a point-stop-point-stop scoring system it is against the whole philosophy of our art. Personally, I would prefer to see a continuous sparring session over 3 rounds which would be judged and an winner awarded. Just my opinion.

To be honest we (or my club) don't train for competitions as we dont have time inbetween the material that we are learning. There are only so many hours in a week. lol

May I ask how you have a competition with breaking? Is it how many boards you break wins?

Also, I have seen some music creeping into forms, maybe I'm being a bit of a traditionalist but for me it looks a little like gymnastics rather than martial arts. But that's just my opinon.

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ross said:
Unfortunately, I have always had reservations about point sparring that we do in Kenpo and have recently witnessed some questionable ways of winning a fight.

Kenpo is more geared towards actual combat and street self defense but by having a point-stop-point-stop scoring system it is against the whole philosophy of our art. Personally, I would prefer to see a continuous sparring session over 3 rounds which would be judged and an winner awarded. Just my opinion.

I also prefer the continuous over point sparring, but as I'm sure you're aware, that brings its own set of problems. Still, the point of the question was, how does an art bring in some semblace of reality while staying practical, or does it even bother.

Ross said:
May I ask how you have a competition with breaking? Is it how many boards you break wins?

No. Actually, it's more of a freestlye type competition. A competitor will set up boards on different places on the mat. Thickness carries some weight in the judging, but it's secondary to types and difficulty of strikes used, the flow of the competitor through the breaks, and of course, how successful they are. Power breaking hasn't been evident at any competition I've ever been to. That's not to say in other regions it doesn't exist, just not that I've seen.

Ross said:
Also, I have seen some music creeping into forms, maybe I'm being a bit of a traditionalist but for me it looks a little like gymnastics rather than martial arts. But that's just my opinon.

I've never seen that, and I share your opinion.

MMAfighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Judo......we train for judo competition. Clinch, then someone tries to throw, then they either win by ippon or the fight goes to the ground where we grapple and someone is pinned for 30 seconds or someones get's caught in a submission....i think there may be time too

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
My art is Shaolin Long Fist Kung fu and we compete in forms and sparring. Although I don't personally compete myself!

fightingfat

Green Belt
Reaction score
My school have taken part in Freestyle Karate tournaments, San Shou competitions and Mixed Martial Arts competitions all of which we have achieved good success in. I suppose as a style, the definitive way we test our skill is through chi sau (sticking hands) although there's a lot of nonsense and double speak involved in it all!

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tony and fightingfat, could you please describe the competitions in a bit more detail? I'm trying to get a mental image. Thanks,

fightingfat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Chi sau is sometimes called sticky hands. Because Wing Chun is a close quarter system, it could be potentially dangerous to the practitioner themselves as they are usually in range of being hit, grabbed, kicked etc, by their opponent. This understanding has led to a remarkable skill training method called Sheung Chi Sau or Double Sticky Hands.

When two practitioners meet up, the will usually 'stick hands' in order to see who has a better grasp of the principles and technique within the system.

To the uninitiated it is best described as resembling a hurt boxer trying to 'spoil' his opponents moves by clinging to the arms. The aim is to preventthe opponent striking freely and allows the Wing Chun Stylist an opportunity to control, trap and break free to strike. The real skill is that both parties want to achieve the same goal, and this has led to tremendous techniques being developed, to a standard where either one or both parties can train blindfolded. These techniques were devised to enhance sensitivity to the direction or pressure of an attack. An awareness of the potential techniques from an opponent then develops. A skilful practitioner can eventually predict and nullify the danger and overcome the opponent.

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's exactly what I was looking for. thank you!

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My teacher had a temper & would go to other school & chalange the #2 or #3 man as the main or master would not except the challange.Now after he fought them he spent a liitle time correctng thier form.Thats class & I say hats off to you Sifu Bruce Lee for your inovations of actual realisum in the fight or martial art ways.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
monkey said:
My teacher had a temper & would go to other school & chalange the #2 or #3 man as the main or master would not except the challange.Now after he fought them he spent a liitle time correctng thier form.Thats class & I say hats off to you Sifu Bruce Lee for your inovations of actual realisum in the fight or martial art ways.

What does this have to do with competing?

Yes Bruce Lee went and comepted, so are you saying that all thsoe whostudied with Bruce Lee go around and challenge people in other clubs to fight or spar?

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tony said:
My art is Shaolin Long Fist Kung fu and we compete in forms and sparring. Although I don't personally compete myself!

Do they wear chest protectors in sparring?
I heard that only gear is shin/instep, hand and head. Is that so?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
My students and I compete in a wide variety of competitions, but less of late. We compete in empty hand forms, weapons forms, knockdown karate, light contact karate, kickboxing, and on occasion a little NHB. The NHB is for my students who like to get busted up, even when they are winning.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes and no. Mostly in Florida. Those guys are sorta crazy (sorry Bao & Quihn). Outside there, we mostly don't care. This fact has led to the Flordian beleif that outside of there own state, Cuong Nhu guys don't do much sparring. In fact, that is probably why Sensei Farber looked surprised at a recent Black Belt test here in Nebraska. Sensei Farber is a 5th dan, and president of the asociation. I had to spar one of the canidates. It was three minutes of none-stop, hard core, kick butt free form.
But back to the topic. Some do, some don't. As a style, we don't stress free style.

John

Latest Discussions