How do you throw your jab?

Boyd Ritchie

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I assume you are talking about using the jab in the ring. Street fights don't usually last long or stay on the feet much anyway.
When I was a younger man and training with my boxing coach we were conditioned by him with a punch specific weight program that resulted in our being able to throw full power jabs with a 3lb weight in our hands for 36 minutes non- stop. He believed the jab was underrated, underutilized and underpowered; hence the training. When you can jab like that it doesn't matter what your intent is, feeling him out, distracting him, or knocking him out it is powerful and available to be used at your discretion. It becomes fast and powerful.

Ken Pfrenger

Green Belt
Reaction score
In Modern boxing the power is definitely related to the hips but it was not always the case...the falling step was used in the past for incredibly powerful straight punches from the lead and rear hand.

Let's see what Jack Dempsey had to say concerning the jab and whether you should throw it as a powerpunch or not:

“I use the expression “left jolt” instead of “left jab” because I don’t want you to confuse the type of straight left you will throw, with the futile straight left or “jab” used by most current amateur and professional boxers. Most of them couldn’t knock you hat off with their left jabs. With their lefts, the tap, they slap, they flick, they paw, and they “paint”. Their jabs are used more to confuse than to stun. Their jabs are used as shuttering defensive flags to prevent their poorly instructed opponents from “getting set to punch”. A good fighter doesn’t have to “get set” He’s always ready to punch. Some of them use their jabs merely to make an opening for their rights. And that’s dangerously silly, for the proper brand of feinting would accomplish the same purpose. With but a few exceptions, they “do not use the left jab as a smashing jolt that can be an explosive weapon by itself” - that can knock you down or knock you out”
“There are two reasons why the left jolt is a rarity in fighting today. First, nearly all current boxers launch their jabs with the non-step shoulder whirl. Secondly, nearly all have been fed the defensive hokum that it’s less dangerous to try to tap an opponent with the left than to try to knock him down with the left.
“Concerning that defensive hokum, let me say this: Any time you extend your left fist either for a tap or for an all-out punch, you’re taking a gamble on being nailed with a counter punch. And the sap who uses “light stuff” - tapping, flicking, etc, - has his left hand extended much more often than the explosive left-jolter, who doesn’t waste punches - doesn’t shoot until he has feinted or forced his opponent into an opening. It’s true that you can “recover” your balance more quickly after missing a tap than after missing a hard punch. But it’s also true that an opponent who is defending only against taps and slaps will be much more alert to counter than an opponent who is being “bombed”
“My advice to all beginners is this: Use a light jab only in one instance - in the so-called one two punch - when your left fist strikes the opponent’s forehead to tip his head back, so that your immediately following straight right can nail him one the chin."

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I have been hearing two camps of that lately, and figured I'd throw it out here. Considering striking surface of the jab, or any of the punches, Firts two knuckles, or last three?

Considering your other hand, guarding the chin, or open hand by the face, upon launching the punch?

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
3. the JKD straight blast (Chit chun choy) is not a jab. It is a disorienting series of punches again developed from the hip designed to cause the opponent to cover up, turn away and allow you to penetrate his defense.

I'm going to have too disagree with this one here. The JKD Straight blast is generated from the hips like Chinese Boxing but it is not designed to disorient.

I have a Black Belt Magazine with a good article on the straight blast I'll see if I can find it and give you the issue.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I have been hearing two camps of that lately, and figured I'd throw it out here. Considering striking surface of the jab, or any of the punches, Firts two knuckles, or last three?

Considering your other hand, guarding the chin, or open hand by the face, upon launching the punch?

Any takers?

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Knuckles - Like I said, first two, and it's obvious if you look at my hands.

Guard hand
- depends a lot on range and other environmental / rules factors. Different combat sports, and styles within combat sport, each evolve their own stance and movement patterns because it works best for their environment. Change the rules of engagement and your whole strategy has to shift. Your tactics should constantly adapt and innovate.

However, I tend to like a high and tight guard when a jab is the first in a moving in combo, and a lower back hand when I'm walking the guy into jabs. I also know I do this, and won't let you exploit a pattern.

On the street, my back hand could be anywhere and is probably picking up a weapon or already concealing one.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've thrown jabs both ways.... The vertical fist (knuckles inside, unturned) is, to me, a little snappier.

Never even thought of this, but now it makes a lot of sense. Could explain why my (horizontal) jab has always seemed slow (to me, anyway:)).

The turned, horizontal fist feels like it's got more OOMPH, so if I'm throwing a jab by itself, it's likely to turn.

Good point. I just learned something from all of you. Thanks!

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I assume you are talking about using the jab in the ring. Street fights don't usually last long or stay on the feet much anyway.
When I was a younger man and training with my boxing coach we were conditioned by him with a punch specific weight program that resulted in our being able to throw full power jabs with a 3lb weight in our hands for 36 minutes non- stop. He believed the jab was underrated, underutilized and underpowered; hence the training. When you can jab like that it doesn't matter what your intent is, feeling him out, distracting him, or knocking him out it is powerful and available to be used at your discretion. It becomes fast and powerful.

Interesting take. I had an old school boxing coach, too (had been a top-10 ranked middleweight in his day), and he preached the jab constantly. Didn't focus on power training like yours, but still expected it to move the guy's head around, mostly as a strategic setup for left hook or right cross later.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any takers?

I am in the first two camp. The drawback isthe risk of seperating your knuckles and it has happened. The plus is better bone alingment between the radius and ulna with the bones of the hand. It helps reduce the risk of lateral hyper-adduction or lateral hyper-abduction of the wrist.

The big drawback of the three knuckle camp is the high risk of breaking the metacarpal of your pinky finger. I had a girl do this and it took forever to heal up right.

I have recently decided that I m going to start to train so I can be of a new camp. I will start punching so hard that my whole hand penetrates into the body, effectively killing my opponent and sparring partners.
icon10.gif

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any one for this question, that I asked previously?

Thumb by the cheek bone, hand closed into a fist, palm side of hand pressed tightly to the face, top of fist halfway down from the line of sight(half a centimeter or so).

OP
Jonathan

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thumb by the cheek bone, hand closed into a fist, palm side of hand pressed tightly to the face, top of fist halfway down from the line of sight(half a centimeter or so).

That's how I do it. :)