How do you sidekick?

K

Kong

I`ve noticed people in general do one of two types of sidekicks (yop chagi), either with their hip completely overturned almost as in a back kick (dwit chagi), and the other version where they don`t turn the hips completely over but keep them tucked almost as in a roundhouse. I`ve been taught both, as different kicks with different applications, but at many schools it seems almost arbitrary wich version the students use. Do you have any experience with this, any wiewpoints. And if anyone could help with the Korean names for different types sidekicks that would be very helpful. I believe in Karate the two versions are called yoko geri keage and kekome.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hiya Kong.

I do my sidekicks with my hip turned over. To me, it generates more power. That's how I was taught in TSD. In TKD, they do it the other way, but I continue to do it the old way.

The Korean term I know is "old school" Korean. I donno if it's the same as what you are looking for. My TKD school doesn't use Korean term except for the biginning/ending of class. So what I know/remember is from TSD.

Sidekick (which you know): Yop chagi
Jump sidekick: ee dan yop chagi

Darn! I forgot spinning sidekick :( It'll come to me later, I hope.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I teach there are 2 different kinds that I show.

1. Closed hip side kick, done as described below with the hip turned over like a back kick.

2. Open hip side kick, the hips are in a straight line with the shoulders, the butt is tucked under the body, base foot is pivoted almost 180 degrees.

When kicking this way it leaves your shoulders inline and the lead hand ready to strike where when you close the hip your shoulders are turned and you can't use the lead hand to strike because it's facing the ground. If the kick misses, you usually get steam rolled and blasted by a couple of punches.

I try to do open hip kicking as it's easier on my knees, you use the hip to push the kick out instead of using the knee to snap it out.

Give it try some workout, it's hard to get, takes lot's of practice.

:asian:

OP
F

fissure

Mosr TKD schools don't teach the snap variation that is found in Shotokan for example.The thrust side kick is the mainstay, although the hips should stay inline with the shoulder and leg.I think rotating until the foot starts to point downward is going to far.;)

OP
K

Kong

I agree with you guys totally. The closed hips sidekick version (with the hips turned over) seem to generate more power since you got the whole body weight behind it, but with the hips open its a little faster and I think its good for closer distances.
It also seems easier to kick higher with the hips open and maintain body posture. And the open hip version IS much better for follow ups.
Does anyone know the Korean term for the open hips version of the sidekick, or is it just called yop chagi as well. I remember I read a book once I think by John Ree, where he demonstrated both versions and named them along with numerous others.
karatekid1975: turning sidekick is Paro Yop Chagi, at least thats what it`s called at my shool.
Thanks for the replys!

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Fissure,

I lied. I do side kicks both ways. I just realized it while in class. I do the sidekick (with the hips turned over) with my back leg during tech stuff, forms, ect. I use the open one, during sparring, and with my front leg (kicking with my lead leg). I found when I do a sidekick using the "blade" of my foot (instead of the heal), I use the "open" version also.

Oh and I do kick (when I use it) with my hip turned over and my foot pointing down. Not all the way, just slightly :p hehehehe I had to pick on ya fissure :)

OP
W

white dragon

so do people strike with the knife edge of the foot or the heel when doing a sidekick? I personally always try to use the knife edge and only ever really do "open" version, although for some reason on my left I tend to do a "closed" one without wanting to ;)

OP
K

Kong

I tend to use the knife edge of the foot for open hips, but the heel seems more natural to me with the hips closed. Maybe because the kick is more powerful and the heel is stronger then knife edge. The knife edge can be devastating when directed to appropriate targets and even pp!

OP
W

white dragon

I've always found using the knife edge far more effective against both people and break boards as you're directing all you force into a thing surface. Like how it hurts so much when your normally-light-as-a-feather-girlfriend steps on you with her pointed heel. I hope someone's following what I'm saying :D

I find I can control myself a lot easier with the "open" style, like it's been said you can follow right on, but I can turn that kick into a hook kick at the last minute if need be, or after executing the side kick chamber the leg quickly into a turning kick or fire out another side kick without needing to lower the foot. the later technique is great if your opponent comes forward after your first kick in the hope of countering.

OP
F

fissure

so do people strike with the knife edge of the foot or the heel when doing a sidekick?
All TKD dojang that I have ever been associated with teach using the heel.Personally I like the knife edge - it just feels right. This is probably left over from my Shotokan training though!I also like the way the knife edge looks when doing poomse.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think if you do the open hip correctly you'll find your hitting with the bottom of your foot and heel. You should also feel as if your falling forward when it is extended.

:asian:

OP
F

fissure

I think if you do the open hip correctly you'll find your hitting with the bottom of your foot and heel. You should also feel as if your falling forward when it is extended
Only if you choose to.;)

OP
S

sweeper

well.. for the knife edge thing, I think ultimately you have a higher potential for power in a heal strike because your ankle joint saps some of the power, your heel transfers force alot better..

OP
A

Andi

Just on the subject of terminology- I'm well aware this varies from school to school- but I'm currently being taught that the side kick without turning the hip is "Yop Chagi" and with it, it is "Yopcha jirugi". I was told this was because "jirugi" (as in punch) refers to the rotation of the highest joint (in this case hip, shoulder for punches). Bearing in mind i do ITF style.

So yeah, not trying to be picky, just curious to see what you guys have been taught. I like my teminology :D .

Cheers ta

Andi

OP
W

WaterCircleHarmony

A kick to the side in general is a Yop Chagi that's what Master Liversage said in a grading.

i'm prettysure that Yop cha jirugi in our club is the side 'piercing' kick i think don't quote me on that tho cos it could be the side 'thrust' kick. (anyways i might get the legacy cd-roms soon)

Besides in hapkido training we were encouraged to kick closed hip but try to keep shoulders from spinning toward the ground fully over kinda the lesser of the two evils. (i'll show u when we get back).

OP
A

Andi

Says You! You're picking up your missus quotes far too much. hehe. You best show me as well. Think I've forgotton Dan Gun as well so you'll have to show me that too! D'oh!

OP
M

MartialArtist

I use three side kicks, depending on the environment.

A thrusting version
A snap version
One in between

The thrust is for power. You chamber you leg and you turn your hips completely. The snap kick is a simple kick with an easy-to-perform motion. Doesn't use the hips so it prevents you from losing balance, but it isn't as powerful. But it is also A LOT faster.

The one in between is a good combination of speed and power.

thesensei

Green Belt
Reaction score
during my kenpo training, i always used an open side kick, striking with the knife-edge of the foot. in my TKD dojang, we use the closed position, striking with the heel. at first, it was totally unnatural for me, but once i got the pivots straightened out, it was very easy.

jb

Latest Discussions