How do you rate this jeans and boots roundhouse kick?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The picture you posted shows what I would consider an acceptable kick from a medium to high geup ranked student. But perfect? Please. Not even close.

Which picture are you referring to?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
[
A

Notice the pivot.

Notice the pivot. And how little he leans for a kick that is MUCH higher than yours.

Do you think you know more about kicking than these two?

Interesting you referenced Bill Wallace, I have always thought that he leans way too much when it comes to forms analysis.

Chuck Norris below pivots less than I do.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210402-205400.png
    Screenshot_20210402-205400.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 124

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting you referenced Bill Wallace, I have always thought that he leans way too much when it comes to forms analysis.
Just think how much better of a martial artist he would have been, had you been there to instruct him in the proper way to kick... I can't believe these people here, picking apart your kick. What is there to pick on? That kick is perfect!

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just think how much better of a martial artist he would have been, had you been there to instruct him in the proper way to kick... I can't believe these people here, picking apart your kick. What is there to pick on? That kick is perfect!

Point is that he leans more than me...

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you were kicking more than half as high as him, you might have a point. As it is...

I wouldn't lean that much even If I did. Bill Wallace did not have great "form form"

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Btw, I've noticed that when I haven't done dollyo chagi in a long time, say 8 months... then I need to pivot the basefoot more than if I do it every day, to get the proper rotation.

I think it's stiffness related. The brain doesn't need the extra command if one is rotating daily.

So I recommend to pivot more than neccessary if I were to instruct learning students.

Just my 5 cents..

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
World champion in forms here pivoting less than meView attachment 23729
I have no idea who that is a picture of. What is his name and what is he a world champion of? None the less, let's assume that is true. I have stated many times some people can get by with less lean and rotation due to their flexibility. This is not you. And I am certain most all of them learned correct form initially and morphed into something different as they progressed and made their own unique changes. This only works when a person knows what correct and effective technique is. This is not you.
Now, that is okay and not a bad thing. You just have to admit to yourself that is where you are and keep working (with a quality school/gym/instructor, not just youtube). If you keep getting your feedback from the internet you will continue to get the same feedback as you have in this thread.

In regards to Bill Wallace, part of the beauty to his kick was his ability to lean back as a defense and still pop back up quicker than most other fighters. He has an unusual body to leg length ratio with long legs and a short body which he has freely admitted helps.
What is important to understand is that he leans as a Choice, not a necessity.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have no idea who that is a picture of. What is his name and what is he a world champion of? None the less, let's assume that is true. I have stated many times some people can get by with less lean and rotation due to their flexibility. This is not you. And I am certain most all of them learned correct form initially and morphed into something different as they progressed and made their own unique changes. This only works when a person knows what correct and effective technique is. This is not you.

It's jaroslaw Suska, record world champion in ITF forms.

In regards to Bill Wallace, part of the beauty to his kick was his ability to lean back as a defense and still pop back up quicker than most other fighters.

That's why I said that when it comes to forms, he is NOT a great reference, and he is a product of a different time when people knew less about body mechanics. And you can see based on how much I lean at my current height, that I would lean less than him at higher heights.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So do I. That is not a critical height for me.
You forget we have seen your kicks in picture and video.
Yeah, that is as high as you can get. And I am not sure you have enough control to do anything with it at that height either.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You forget we have seen your kicks in picture and video.
Yeah, that is as high as you can get. And I am not sure you have enough control to do anything with it at that height either.

Stay tuned

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wouldn't lean that much even If I did. Bill Wallace did not have great "form form"

The lean gets your head out of the way of punches though. So it is pretty common in application.
Screenshot_20210403-211731_Google.jpg

Or they go kind of sideways.
Screenshot_20210403-212038_Google.jpg

Last edited:
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am pivoting properly as per ITF form standards, but the old man hasn't done ITF in 30 years so I'll give him a break

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am pivoting properly as per ITF form standards, but the old man hasn't done ITF in 30 years so I'll give him a break
Based on that original video, I would be very surprised if you were capable of throwing a high kick with any sort of form. Prove me wrong.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Based on that original video, I would be very surprised if you were capable of throwing a high kick with any sort of form. Prove me wrong.

I seem to recall kicking temple height as a beginner. I didn't know how but I could do it. That was 6 years ago. I will turn 32 this year so it's possible I lost it.

I'll settle with nose height for the purposes of this refutation.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'll put up a new one but just out of curiousity, which height would you guys say this is?
_20210405_215644.JPG

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's a stronger kicking posture than Mr Wallace, @Dirty Dogs hero:cool:

But like I said, we shouldn't compare different generations. It's just not fair.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions