How Do You Integrate More Spins Into A Jump?

Lyhumn

White Belt
Reaction score
I studied Taekwondo at a martial arts school for about three years, but quit because I felt like I wasn't advancing fast enough and I was looking for more intense training. Now I just practice at home. However, I always struggled to do techniques such as a 540 back kick or 720 roundhouse because I could never do more than one spin in my jump. Is there something I'm missing? My 360 is fine but past that I can't do much else.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The desire to jump spin into more rotations is common at your age, but be careful (and don' wreck your folk's house!) you need torque, more push off the take-off leg, and spotting (shoulders as well as eyes). But you really need an instructor working with you.

Maybe check out other dojos in your area? Maybe a completely new art?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is the reason/benefit of spinning more than 360 degrees?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never seen the point of those kind of kicks. A spinning back kick is the most I'd ever go for and not in a real fight either

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I doubt you will find many TKD schools that will even train such movements, and they are mostly only done by tricking martial artists. There are tricking schools around so if there is one near enough to you I would go there. Failing that, there are quite a few youtube tutorials that should help you:

That said, you need to be aware that with moves such as this, you can have the technique down perfectly, but if your body isn't strong enough then you won't be able to do it. If you are struggling with getting multiple rotations in a single jump perhaps the problem is a lack of explosive leg power and core strength. How much physical conditioning do you currently do?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What is the reason/benefit of spinning more than 360 degrees?

plymettrics.

You have to have a lot of your basics in order to get a 720. It is a way of discerning if your skills are on point.

It even gets mentioned in small movements like slipping where better rotational technique leads to faster defensive movement.

Or basically back to footballers doing ballet pretty much.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I studied Taekwondo at a martial arts school for about three years, but quit because I felt like I wasn't advancing fast enough and I was looking for more intense training. Now I just practice at home. However, I always struggled to do techniques such as a 540 back kick or 720 roundhouse because I could never do more than one spin in my jump. Is there something I'm missing? My 360 is fine but past that I can't do much else.
IMNSHO.....don't waste your time with that stuff. It's movie-fu and has no practical application.

My $0.02 worth....

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always found that funny when people say that. You quit because you weren't advancing fast enough....well when you quit you don't advance at all..

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMNSHO.....don't waste your time with that stuff. It's movie-fu and has no practical application.

My $0.02 worth....
Yeah agreed. It can work in competition maybe but not in a real fight. I mean don't get me wrong it's fun to train in class if you're doing it that lesson. For example in Muay Thai the other day we did a scissor takedown and a jumping downward elbow. I mean I know those moves aren't really going to work in a fight but it was fun at the time but I'm not going to train it religiously

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah agreed. It can work in competition maybe but not in a real fight. I mean don't get me wrong it's fun to train in class if you're doing it that lesson. For example in Muay Thai the other day we did a scissor takedown and a jumping downward elbow. I mean I know those moves aren't really going to work in a fight but it was fun at the time but I'm not going to train it religiously

The scissor works.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Find an xma school around you or hook up with some folks doing parkour. You'll find someone who can do the tricks you're looking to learn.

Latest Discussions