How do you become a "Datu"?

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Datu Award

It seems that people are giving me way too much credit for my input on this thread. So there are no misunderstandings, I would like to make my position on this clear. I’m not endorsing or defending the three recipients of GM Vicente Sanchez’s Datu award. It seems that people are misinterpreting the award as a promotion of some sort of rank or title. I was asked if Bram should now be referred to as Datu Bram. If you read the announcement, it is clear that Datu is the name of the award. If you will an Oscar, you don’t become one, you’re an Oscar recipient. Now before anyone tries to stir things up, Bram is my friend. I asked him to teach at next year’s reunion camp at my school. This is just for clarification. If Bram was promoted to Datu, I would be one of the first to congratulate him.

On both MT and FMAT, I help to police things of this nature. Most of my work is done in the admin sections of the site or in meetings with Mr. Hubbard. In this case, it was done in the thread of interest. That being said, I do have a question that this thread has inspired.

GM Sanchez does have a student here in the US that addresses himself as a Datu. Is this a misinterpretation of the Datu award or does the GM also use the title of Datu in his ranking system? It doesn’t make sense to me to use one title for both an award as well as a rank. To me, it would seem to be problematic. It would be easy for people to get the two confused. Hopefully someone here on MT or FMAT will have the information and share it with us to help educate us.

Respectfully yours,
Datu Hartman
GM Presas Arnis

Morgan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Anythings possible. Although still quite a ways away, I do plan on attending the big seminar in 2011. I'm certainly looking forward to training with everyone.

BTW, are you planning on being there?

Yes. It's an expensive item but I am putting money aside for it.

Morgan

Morgan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Datu Award

It seems that people are giving me way too much credit for my input on this thread. So there are no misunderstandings, I would like to make my position on this clear. I’m not endorsing or defending the three recipients of GM Vicente Sanchez’s Datu award. It seems that people are misinterpreting the award as a promotion of some sort of rank or title. I was asked if Bram should now be referred to as Datu Bram. If you read the announcement, it is clear that Datu is the name of the award. If you will an Oscar, you don’t become one, you’re an Oscar recipient. Now before anyone tries to stir things up, Bram is my friend. I asked him to teach at next year’s reunion camp at my school. This is just for clarification. If Bram was promoted to Datu, I would be one of the first to congratulate him.

On both MT and FMAT, I help to police things of this nature. Most of my work is done in the admin sections of the site or in meetings with Mr. Hubbard. In this case, it was done in the thread of interest. That being said, I do have a question that this thread has inspired.

GM Sanchez does have a student here in the US that addresses himself as a Datu. Is this a misinterpretation of the Datu award or does the GM also use the title of Datu in his ranking system? It doesn’t make sense to me to use one title for both an award as well as a rank. To me, it would seem to be problematic. It would be easy for people to get the two confused. Hopefully someone here on MT or FMAT will have the information and share it with us to help educate us.

Respectfully yours,
Datu Hartman
GM Presas Arnis

Once again, a statement about a specific person and with a very legitimate question but again without naming the individual. He or
she might be able to respond quickly or contacted by someone else
for a response if we knew who the person in question is.

Just a thought.

Morgan

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
I wants to know.

I know Presas appointed 6 guys as Datus. The debate on that's famous. I know a couple other guys also use the title. Thing is, they all seem to use it as a tie in to rank. I recently saw a press release that some gm awarded a "Datu Award" to a couple of guys, now one of them's claiming to be a datu. Isn't that kinda like me getting the "Presidents Award" then wandering around telling everyone I'm a President. Seems stupid to me, but what do I know.

Anyway, how much to be a Datu, and can I be a Soke-Datu, and is there a discount with it?

During a conversation this afternoon I was reminded that this topic was posted and the question, "How does one become a Datu" was never fully answered. Recently the whole issue was addressed in relation to the late Professor Remy Presas and Modern Arnis by GM Tom Bolden in an essay that he published in the "Filipino Martial Arts Informative - Special Edition Issue #191, that was posted on August 28, 2015. Below is the entire uncut or edited essay:

Remy Presas Modern Arnis HOF Foundation
(Preserving The Legacy And Advancing The Art OF Professor Remy Presas)

This foundation offers the best chance yet for truly bringing the Modern Arnis family together for sharing, growth and advancement of the art. The Remy Presas Modern Arnis HOF Foundation is unique in that it is comprised of senior/notable Modern Arnis Practitioners (inductees) from every generation and era of Modern Arnis.

Professor Remy Presas often challenged his students to make the art of Modern Arnis for themselves, through practice, repetition, experimentation, etc. “If you practice it, you will see everything”. What Professor Presas also realized was that not everyone would see the art the same, but would interpret it differently base on their own experiences. For this reason, members of this foundation, the seniors from various generations and eras possess invaluable wisdom and insights which should be shared for the continued advancement and growth of Modern Arnis and future generations. Professor Presas would want it this way!

Professor Presas recognized the need for leaders in Modern Arnis and established the title/designation of Datu. This title was awarded to those who through constant practice, growth and development, had truly seen and advanced the art for themselves. The first Datu titles were awarded during public presentation at the 1987 New Hampshire Summer Camp, to Datu Shishir Innocalla and Datu Bong Journales. Datu Kelly Worden, the first American was awarded the Datu title in 1988. Interestingly Professor Presas during the initial Datu presentation defined the designation to mean Master of Weapons, with the requirement to demonstrate applications and expertise with four weapons of the practitioners choosing, both solo and in combination. For whatever reason, the current definition (leader), used for Datu in Modern Arnis seems to have been adopted by Professor Remy Presas after recognition of the first three Datus.

Through The Remy Presas Modern Arnis HOF Foundation, Professor Remy Presas’ dream still lives. Leaders are still needed to share and advance the art of Modern Arnis, and the Remy Presas Modern Arnis HOF Foundation reserves the right and authority to recognize senior practitioners as Modern Arnis Datus. This title is awarded by the Remy Presas Modern Arnis HOF Foundation, is based on an individual’s number of years of training and study in Modern Arnis/FMA (minimum of 25 years), his/her overall reputation among their peers, a strong instructional reputation and a body of work/contributions to both Modern Arnis and the martial arts.

An added requirement of good character is an essential factor before anyone could be or would be nominated for this award. In addition it should be noted that the Foundation will not be awarding the Datu title on any annual or any other fixed schedule.

The members of the Remy Presas Memorial HOF Foundation believe that the Datu title is special and should be reserved for those people who have a proven track record within the art of Modern Arnis. It is a peer recognition award that can and should represent the absolute best qualities of Professor Presas’ legacy.

Tom Bolden,
Grand Master, Datu,
American Modern Arnis Associates

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
During a conversation this afternoon I was reminded that this topic was posted and the question, "How does one become a Datu" was never fully answered. Recently the whole issue was addressed in relation to the late Professor Remy Presas and Modern Arnis by GM Tom Bolden in an essay that he published in the "Filipino Martial Arts Informative - Special Edition Issue #191, that was posted on August 28, 2015. Below is the entire uncut or edited essay:

Remy Presas Modern Arnis HOF Foundation
(Preserving The Legacy And Advancing The Art OF Professor Remy Presas)

This foundation offers the best chance yet for truly bringing the Modern Arnis family together for sharing, growth and advancement of the art. The Remy Presas Modern Arnis HOF Foundation is unique in that it is comprised of senior/notable Modern Arnis Practitioners (inductees) from every generation and era of Modern Arnis.

Professor Remy Presas often challenged his students to make the art of Modern Arnis for themselves, through practice, repetition, experimentation, etc. “If you practice it, you will see everything”. What Professor Presas also realized was that not everyone would see the art the same, but would interpret it differently base on their own experiences. For this reason, members of this foundation, the seniors from various generations and eras possess invaluable wisdom and insights which should be shared for the continued advancement and growth of Modern Arnis and future generations. Professor Presas would want it this way!

Professor Presas recognized the need for leaders in Modern Arnis and established the title/designation of Datu. This title was awarded to those who through constant practice, growth and development, had truly seen and advanced the art for themselves. The first Datu titles were awarded during public presentation at the 1987 New Hampshire Summer Camp, to Datu Shishir Innocalla and Datu Bong Journales. Datu Kelly Worden, the first American was awarded the Datu title in 1988. Interestingly Professor Presas during the initial Datu presentation defined the designation to mean Master of Weapons, with the requirement to demonstrate applications and expertise with four weapons of the practitioners choosing, both solo and in combination. For whatever reason, the current definition (leader), used for Datu in Modern Arnis seems to have been adopted by Professor Remy Presas after recognition of the first three Datus.

Through The Remy Presas Modern Arnis HOF Foundation, Professor Remy Presas’ dream still lives. Leaders are still needed to share and advance the art of Modern Arnis, and the Remy Presas Modern Arnis HOF Foundation reserves the right and authority to recognize senior practitioners as Modern Arnis Datus. This title is awarded by the Remy Presas Modern Arnis HOF Foundation, is based on an individual’s number of years of training and study in Modern Arnis/FMA (minimum of 25 years), his/her overall reputation among their peers, a strong instructional reputation and a body of work/contributions to both Modern Arnis and the martial arts.

An added requirement of good character is an essential factor before anyone could be or would be nominated for this award. In addition it should be noted that the Foundation will not be awarding the Datu title on any annual or any other fixed schedule.

The members of the Remy Presas Memorial HOF Foundation believe that the Datu title is special and should be reserved for those people who have a proven track record within the art of Modern Arnis. It is a peer recognition award that can and should represent the absolute best qualities of Professor Presas’ legacy.

Tom Bolden,
Grand Master, Datu,
American Modern Arnis Associates

Is "Datu" a title unique to Modern Arnis and its spinoffs, or is it used in other FMA?

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is "Datu" a title unique to Modern Arnis and its spinoffs, or is it used in other FMA?

The "Datu" title is not unique to Modern Arnis. There are 2 other GMs who I am aware of who have used the title, Porfilio (sp) La Nada and Vicente Sanchez.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How do you become a Datu?

Same way you get to Carnegie Hall.