How do we know who the best Hapkidoin are?

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Is there some kind of test of skills, in a non-prearranged format against other opposing Hapkidoin?

Thank you

Those that have used it extensively and successfully in real world altercations against violent, resisting attackers. Going further, those that have met the above criteria and can also teach successfully the art from a real world perspective based upon that experience.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Is there some kind of test of skills, in a non-prearranged format against other opposing Hapkidoin?

Thank you

I'm sort of curious sir. You list Hapkido as one of the arts you have studied. What level did you reach? Did you never ask the above or other questions you have posted while you had a teacher?

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
I'm sort of curious sir. You list Hapkido as one of the arts you have studied. What level did you reach? Did you never ask the above or other questions you have posted while you had a teacher?

I am not expert on Hapkido. Pick the lowest level of Hapkido practitioner and there I am. I don't teach Hapkido either.

I learned some similar stuff before I began Taekwondo, under the jujitsu name in Karate, and Hoshinsul name later in Oh Do Kwan/Moo Duk Kwan/Tang Soo Do. My Sabumnim, GM CHONG Chun Sup added it in his Taekwondo classes from what he had learned in Pyongtaek, Korea. I began training with him after he had been in the USA for only 6 weeks, he did not speak English at the time, I never asked any of these questions because I studied it very little and had very little interest in Hapkido, but years later I played around with it "a little bit" with some of my own students, and through Taekwondo and my many trips to Korea, I have encountered Hapkido from time to time in Mexico, USA, Canada, Europe and even at the "Hanminjok Korea Kido Hae" - if I got the name right - Headquarters in Seoul. I have also attended some day long, and even week long training events.

I think that firmly plants me in the novice category, that is why I ask these questions. But I might decide to take up the study of Hapkido, and if I do, I will find the best possible source and go study with them, or, bring them to the USA where they can stay at my home and study with them everyday, and invite my students to do the same. I've been known to do that kind of thing before.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

One test is what happens when a person walks into a room filled with hapkido practitioners of any organization or affiliation. If everyone in the room immediately stands up and bows deeply, including those whose students who enjoy making public criticism of this person, then you have your answer.

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One test is what happens when a person walks into a room filled with hapkido practitioners of any organization or affiliation. If everyone in the room immediately stands up and bows deeply, including those whose students who enjoy making public criticism of this person, then you have your answer.

Imagine that. Disrespectful juniors making a hypocritical action.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not expert on Hapkido. Pick the lowest level of Hapkido practitioner and there I am. I don't teach Hapkido either.

I learned some similar stuff before I began Taekwondo, under the jujitsu name in Karate, and Hoshinsul name later in Oh Do Kwan/Moo Duk Kwan/Tang Soo Do. My Sabumnim, GM CHONG Chun Sup added it in his Taekwondo classes from what he had learned in Pyongtaek, Korea. I began training with him after he had been in the USA for only 6 weeks, he did not speak English at the time, I never asked any of these questions because I studied it very little and had very little interest in Hapkido, but years later I played around with it "a little bit" with some of my own students, and through Taekwondo and my many trips to Korea, I have encountered Hapkido from time to time in Mexico, USA, Canada, Europe and even at the "Hanminjok Korea Kido Hae" - if I got the name right - Headquarters in Seoul. I have also attended some day long, and even week long training events.

I think that firmly plants me in the novice category, that is why I ask these questions. But I might decide to take up the study of Hapkido, and if I do, I will find the best possible source and go study with them, or, bring them to the USA where they can stay at my home and study with them everyday, and invite my students to do the same. I've been known to do that kind of thing before.

I guess so. But I am curious about your insistence on "the best" hapkido teacher in the world. I think I had the best when I studied Hapkido in the 80s in Korea, and later here in the USA. My Grand Master was a good practitioner and a good teacher. I would be very surprised if Puunui wouldn't tell you the same, or any other of the other Hapkido students here on MT. The point being we all would have been foolish to have continued studying under a teacher we didn't think was good enough to teach us. I understand you desire to have a good teacher, but do you want the best in all the world, the best as described by someone else, or the best for you?

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess so. But I am curious about your insistence on "the best" hapkido teacher in the world. I think I had the best when I studied Hapkido in the 80s in Korea, and later here in the USA. My Grand Master was a good practitioner and a good teacher. I would be very surprised if Puunui wouldn't tell you the same, or any other of the other Hapkido students here on MT. The point being we all would have been foolish to have continued studying under a teacher we didn't think was good enough to teach us. I understand you desire to have a good teacher, but do you want the best in all the world, the best as described by someone else, or the best for you?

Well I am certainly not on the Hapkido board to get my own opinion :) I'm interested in what experienced Hapkido practitioners have to say.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, you want to train with the best hapkido instructor in the world. OK; are you willing to relocate to wherever that person may be? Drop everything, leaving behind family, friends, and business to go there and train? If not -- then you don't want "the best in the world." You want the "best that you can get to under whatever terms you set." Might be helpful to set those terms, first. It's already been said that there are at least a couple styles of hapkido; I know there's Combat Hapkido and "everything else." But I think "everything else" has some better definition and sorting than that... Which are you looking for?

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So, you want to train with the best hapkido instructor in the world. OK; are you willing to relocate to wherever that person may be? Drop everything, leaving behind family, friends, and business to go there and train? If not -- then you don't want "the best in the world." You want the "best that you can get to under whatever terms you set." Might be helpful to set those terms, first. It's already been said that there are at least a couple styles of hapkido; I know there's Combat Hapkido and "everything else." But I think "everything else" has some better definition and sorting than that... Which are you looking for?

Why would I have to drop everything? I don't have restrictions, I don't have to ask permission, I don't have to set terms, I simple got after what I want and I have always got what I want, plus more. My full time career has been martial arts since 1992, it is my job. I have dojangs that do not require me to even be there, at anytime, for any reason. I can fly off to anywhere in the world I decide, at any time for however long I decide.

Years ago I got interested in Taekkyon, so I went back and forth to Korea to train and brought the world's top level Taekkyon teacher along with the National Taekkyon Demo Team to the USA to introduce Taekkyon to my students, then brought his top master back to the USA to live at my home and teach me and my students, he has been living here now for the past 10 years and is sitting in my living room watching a movie with my sons right now. I've done similar things like that for Taekwondo. I would approach Hapkido not differently.

That is why I search for opinions on the Hapkido board. Are you a Hapkido practitioner? If so, what is your opinion? If not, oh well.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why would I have to drop everything? I don't have restrictions, I don't have to ask permission, I don't have to set terms, I simple got after what I want and I have always got what I want, plus more. My full time career has been martial arts since 1992, it is my job. I have dojangs that do not require me to even be there, at anytime, for any reason. I can fly off to anywhere in the world I decide, at any time for however long I decide.

Fantastic. Many of us don't have that freedom. I have a job, I have family, I have other obligations. I have enough trouble scheduling weekend seminars and clinics... But nobody knows that until you tell them -- and for most of us, it would be a serious set of limitations.

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Fantastic. Many of us don't have that freedom. I have a job, I have family, I have other obligations. I have enough trouble scheduling weekend seminars and clinics... But nobody knows that until you tell them -- and for most of us, it would be a serious set of limitations.

It is fantastic. I read a quote on time that I took to heart, like some other quotes. When something like this: "If you don't learn to write your own life story, someone else will write it for you"

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I forgot to ask again, since I assume you have Hapkido experience, how do we know who the best Hapkidoin are? Thanks.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Thank you

How do you know who the best boxer is? What if there are better boxers than the celebrated ring fighters? What if there are basketball players who will never get recruited because they are too remote or lack exposure.

The question is really rather ... silly unless you're asking about competitions .... is that what you're asking about? Skill combat? Hapkido matches?

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How do you know who the best boxer is?

Because they have what it takes to step in the ring and prove it. We can name them all by weight class. I assume you have heard that boxers actually fight each other and win world titles?

What if there are better boxers than the celebrated ring fighters?

They would have to be fighting the best, and eventually defeating them to become the best, we would know all about it. I am not sure what you are thinking here but there are no secret closet boxers who never stepped in a ring who could step up and take out the Champ :) If you really think such people exist, I'd really like to hear about it.

What if there are basketball players who will never get recruited because they are too remote or lack exposure.

Basketball?

The question is really rather ... silly unless you're asking about competitions .... is that what you're asking about? Skill combat? Hapkido matches?

My question is silly? :) What I am asking is, how do we know, be it combat, biting matches, sword fights, who has the fast wrist twist, whatever, I am asking Hapkido people to tell me. If you a Hapkido person why not answer the question instead of coming up with "what ifs" ?

Last edited:

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The style I train in is highly influenced by Hapkido. And you seem to have answered your own question.

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The style I train in is highly influenced by Hapkido. And you seem to have answered your own question.

Well that is good to know, do you have anything to share other just argument? And Hapkido competition videos found on Google do not answer my question, as my question was not specific to competitions.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So ... you're wanting to know what, exactly?? I'm confused. You seem to know about competitions and some basic elements of Hapkido but you want to know ... what? what people's opinions on what makes a hapkidoan great?? Are you trying to ask if an approach, knowledge ... what specific talent or application makes a hapkidoan superior?

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So ... you're wanting to know what, exactly?? I'm confused. You seem to know about competitions and some basic elements of Hapkido but you want to know ... what? what people's opinions on what makes a hapkidoan great?? Are you trying to ask if an approach, knowledge ... what specific talent or application makes a hapkidoan superior?

If my question is to confusing, it might be best to skip it.

I do think it is a very simple question: How do we know who the best Hapkidoin are? You could answer my question with any of those what if's you listed, go for it.

Latest Discussions