How do many shooters sucessfully defend against the the head punch?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now wait a sec — make sure you are arguing with what I said.

My comment was only regarding the claim (Posted by allenjp) that "If someone wants you on the ground, chances are you'll end up there...I thought the Gracies had proved that point long ago, but there still always seems to be some confusion about it for some reason."

As I said above, "several fighters have demonstrated over the last few years in UFC fights that by training to avoid the shoot they are able to avoid being taken to the ground more often than they are taken to the ground."

I don't dispute that the best place to learn to avoid a takedown is from a grappling art. You guys are arguing against something that I didn't say in the post you quoted.

In fact, this is something I realized on a personal level before the first UFC was fought: that even though I had some natural talent and ability at striking, TKD wasn't really going to help me against "wrestlers" (is what I was thinking at the time).

So a month after I started TKD, I jumped on the chance to study hapkido to address that vulnerability.

Latest Discussions