How do boxers punch?

Leo89

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've been taking taekwondo, used to be in American kenpo, so I'm used to leaning into my punches, but they don't like that in taekwondo, been thinking of adding boxing to the mix, but I don't know how boxers punch.

Or anything about it really, I'd assume there are basic blocks, and things like jabs, uppercuts, etc.

But in reality I've no clue about how boxers go about sparring.

So, how do you punch?

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well for a start you shouldn't be leaning into punches in American kenpo. You use a forward bow when you're doing a reverse punch that gets you your ESP (extension, stability and power) and for boxing its very similiar twists your hips on your punches

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been taking taekwondo, used to be in American kenpo, so I'm used to leaning into my punches, but they don't like that in taekwondo, been thinking of adding boxing to the mix, but I don't know how boxers punch.

Or anything about it really, I'd assume there are basic blocks, and things like jabs, uppercuts, etc.

So, how do you punch?

Sparring is just an exercise of bringing it together. Where you work those combos and footwork, balance and weight with stance etc. Best advice, get yourself down to a boxing gym, work some basic drills. Sparring in boxing is something you do when you ain't gonna get hurt, know what you are doing, and more importantly, when you know what you're feet are doing.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

So, how do you punch?
How do you plan on adding boxing to the mix if you don't get trained by boxers (who know how they punch and spar)?

OP
L

Leo89

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you are doing that, why bother asking on here how they punch? It would be way easier to learn face to face in those lessons.
Well sorry for asking then.

Sometimes it's quicker to ask online, at 10:30 pm than it is to call up a closed gym.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The problem that you may have with the boxer punches is that some of the punches may not work well with the type kicks and TKD techniques that you have to do. It's not a game stopper but boxing punches don't work well with things like this. Provided that you school teaches any of these hand strikes

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you punch on your heavy bag from your on guard position daily, after a year your punch will be similar to a boxer's punch. One good punch training is to punch

- as fast as you can,
- as powerful as you can, and
- don't stop,

until you are totally exhausted (may be after 60 punches). After you have gone through this training, you will understand that there is no boxing punch, no Kung Fu punch, no TKD punch, no Karate punch, ... There is only "your punch".

1_step_3_punches.jpg

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
until you are totally exhausted (may be after 60 punches). After you have gone through this training, you will understand that there is no boxing punch, no Kung Fu punch, no TKD punch, no Karate punch, ... There is only "your punch".
I actually do this every Thursday but I do 400 punches (on both hands (sets of 50 on each hand) and the only thing I have is a tired punch lol. I guess the kettle bell exercises in between punches don't help to keep the arms fresh :(

Once I master the endurance of these punches I'll then add in the big circular punches.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
but I do 400 punches ...
Old Chinese saying said, "In dark alley fight, whoever has courage will win." I have always believed that if I can punch like a mad man, my chance for survival will be high. If I can't knock out my opponent within 60 punches, I should put my tail between my legs and run.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Sometimes it's quicker to ask online, at 10:30 pm than it is to call up a closed gym.
Well yeah but it's not exactly something you need to know at 10:30 at night. I think what he's saying is that if you're going to train in boxing the best thing to do is listen to a coach first then maybe come look for advice online because if you get our ideas and you think you know how they punch and your coach says something different you'll still have what we said in your head and it'll be harder to fix

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you punch on your heavy bag from your on guard position daily, after a year your punch will be similar to a boxer's punch. One good punch training is to punch

- as fast as you can,
- as powerful as you can, and
- don't stop,

1_step_3_punches.jpg

I really liked that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are doing that, why bother asking on here how they punch? It would be way easier to learn face to face in those lessons.
Perhaps out of curiosity, and wanting to hear from folks who can relate it back to the two styles he already has familiarity with?

There's no reason to smack someone down for asking a question like that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well yeah but it's not exactly something you need to know at 10:30 at night. I think what he's saying is that if you're going to train in boxing the best thing to do is listen to a coach first then maybe come look for advice online because if you get our ideas and you think you know how they punch and your coach says something different you'll still have what we said in your head and it'll be harder to fix
I don't think there's any real danger of what he hears on a forum overriding what a coach tells him, unless he practices it a lot to engrain it before he goes to a coach. He already has two kinds of punches in his head that will likely conflict with the boxing punch until he develops the habit. A few words aren't going to make it any worse.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I had a bad day yesterday, so that is probably why my comment had the attitude it did, sorry.
The thing that I wanted to say was: Asking a question like that on a forum won't really help you. You'll either get different answers from boxers trying to explain the same thing, but it sounding different from online, or people generalizing about boxers, kenpo and tkd and how they think those styles punch, which may not match up with your own experience. The most it can do is just fill your head with preconceptions that you then have to get rid of.

However, in no style should you 'lean in' to your punch. You should always be putting weight into it, but actually leaning in is a recipe for disaster.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think there's any real danger of what he hears on a forum overriding what a coach tells him, unless he practices it a lot to engrain it before he goes to a coach. He already has two kinds of punches in his head that will likely conflict with the boxing punch until he develops the habit. A few words aren't going to make it any worse.
But he may end up doubting what the coach says if it conflicts with what we say. The chances of that happening are small, but the chances of this thread helping him are even smaller.

Also, since he is planning on taking a couple classes in boxing, to override both types of punching, even the slightest confusion will make that tougher.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pay for some lessons and add it to the mix.

Would certainly do know no harm, but like anything, does take some time and effort. My pet hate shadow boxing is also key, even if it does not feel like it. Rather than add it to the mix, don't really think you do that as such IMHO. To me Western boxing is something to separate from other MA training. At least until the technique is sound. When I was learning the left jab, I kept dropping my left arm. In fact it is a bad habit, so other bad habits may creep in. Personally there is no reason why you couldn't, and should, learn to box, keep it seperate as a discipline for now. And have lots of fun doing it. Just my take :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But he may end up doubting what the coach says if it conflicts with what we say. The chances of that happening are small, but the chances of this thread helping him are even smaller.

Also, since he is planning on taking a couple classes in boxing, to override both types of punching, even the slightest confusion will make that tougher.
If he has intellectual curiosity, fulfilling it will not make things any harder. Since he already knows there are multiple approaches to punching, it's unlikely he'd get confused by something here that conflicts with what a coach tells him. That might be a risk for a beginner without that experience - expecting there to be one "right" way, but it seems unlikely for someone who has some experience in two striking styles.

As for this thread helping him, it will satisfy his curiosity. It need do no more than that to be useful to him. And hearing some explanations from folks who understand one or both of his background styles might even help him translate what the boxing coach says, should there be any confusion based on differing use of some words.

Latest Discussions