How did you learn about the FMA?

GuruJim1

Green Belt
Reaction score
In 1975 my first instructor Master Santiago taught an art called Tjimande Chuan Fa in Uniontown, PA. It was a mix of his families Filipino Kuntao and Tjimande that he learned when he went to Indonesia when he was 24 yrs old. I always knew what I first learned was part Filipino. My parents moved to Cleveland, Ohio to look for work. That's where I start my Poekoelan training.

After my Poekoelan teacher moved to another state I began taking Kajukenpo Karate at the Karate Institute of America in Cleveland, Ohio in 1986. After all the years of doing the Malay arts karate wasn't my cup of tea. One day I saw a school open up called the Philippine Institute of Martial Arts still in 1986. Since I what I learned was part Filipino I jumped at the chance to learn the art again. That's where I meet Tony "Nick" Marcial. I trained with Tony for almost 10 years and was his assistant instructor of his present day school when he was on Snow Rd and Chevy Blvd, and the Ridge Rd School. I am very grateful that I was one of Tony's students and able to call him my mentor.

Latest Discussions