How can i classify a trap?

Mustafa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I would like to make a map, in which i put "the tool trap". And in the other locations i put the other tools, with "a trap" as a reference point.

Can you help me with this?

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Alright, lets see if I understand what you're saying. You want to make a diagram, with differnit martial arts techniques on it as if they were points on a map. O.k.... thats....um....odd :erg:. anyways.
I think Iwould put hand strikes at EG 99-1-04-2. Iwould put grappling at EH 01-9-05-8. Iwould put trapping at EH 00-5-04-6. I would put those on map number DMATC VII.
icon12.gif

Now for those that aren't fluent in military map talk that means I would put trapps some were between hand strikes and grappling.
Anyways. Were would one come up with a question like this, anyways?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mustafa, your posts are confusing. Are you asking about map-making? That's not really a question for a martial arts forum.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Alright, lets see if I understand what you're saying. You want to make a diagram, with differnit martial arts techniques on it as if they were points on a map. O.k.... thats....um....odd :erg:. anyways.
I think Iwould put hand strikes at EG 99-1-04-2. Iwould put grappling at EH 01-9-05-8. Iwould put trapping at EH 00-5-04-6. I would put those on map number DMATC VII.
icon12.gif

Now for those that aren't fluent in military map talk that means I would put trapps some were between hand strikes and grappling.

Ye take high strikes and I'll take the low strikes
and I'll be in Scotland afore ye!
But me and my love, we'll never train again,
on the bonnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond :D

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Trapping is a type of a martial arts move, especially with jujitsu. Kenpo has them too. I suppose other styles might. Mapping can be a list, a chart, or a diagram that could indicate common types of trapping. I am guessing he may be referring to setting up a trap and following up with other kinds of possible strikes.

Mustafa, what have you got so far? What style are you studying? If you will give us an idea of what you've got so far, perhaps we can help you out better here with some suggestions.

- Ceicei

OP
M

Mustafa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thank you

Where, ... i dont know about a school for that (I have not looked for that either). But you could say it is a hobby of mine.

I am trying make and idea, for me, about what other things there are that i need to know about. (...)

Mustafa, your posts are confusing. Are you asking about map-making? That's not really a question for a martial arts forum.
That is why i am confused.

I was thinking of, if you could give me the resources or something for making the map, and i could put it together that i understand it.

Mustafa, what have you got so far? What style are you studying? If you will give us an idea of what you've got so far, perhaps we can help you out better here with some suggestions.
I cant say what i got so far, because i dont have map over things.
And i dont study a style.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you

Where, ... i dont know about a school for that (I have not looked for that either). But you could say it is a hobby of mine.

I am trying make and idea, for me, about what other things there are that i need to know about. (...)

That is why i am confused.

I was thinking of, if you could give me the resources or something for making the map, and i could put it together that i understand it.

I cant say what i got so far, because i dont have map over things.
And i dont study a style.

Are you talking trapping moves that contain & control an attacking hand, foot or other weapon? Or are you talking traps like snares and pitfalls that are laid for people traveling? Or are you talking about concealed compartments in vehicles? Your writing is so unclear that I don't have a clue what you're talking about.

And, on that note, what do you mean when you say "map"? Are you trying to outline/diagram different methods of trapping or are you trying to see where trapping motions integrate within a system? Or just making a map so that you don't fall into your own pitfall?

You say you don't study any system. It seems to me that perhaps your best starting point would be formal study of some system; there are plenty of threads that discuss how to choose one. Any system will contain some trapping motions (along with other holds), some strikes or blows and some throws; the relative proportion within each system varies. For example, aikido and judo contain lots of holds and throws, with fewer blows, while tae kwon do and most forms of karate contain more blows than holds or throws.

OP
M

Mustafa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Are you talking trapping moves that contain & control an attacking hand, foot or other weapon? Or are you talking traps like snares and pitfalls that are laid for people traveling? Or are you talking about concealed compartments in vehicles? Your writing is so unclear that I don't have a clue what you're talking about.

And, on that note, what do you mean when you say "map"? Are you trying to outline/diagram different methods of trapping or are you trying to see where trapping motions integrate within a system? Or just making a map so that you don't fall into your own pitfall?

You say you don't study any system. It seems to me that perhaps your best starting point would be formal study of some system; there are plenty of threads that discuss how to choose one. Any system will contain some trapping motions (along with other holds), some strikes or blows and some throws; the relative proportion within each system varies. For example, aikido and judo contain lots of holds and throws, with fewer blows, while tae kwon do and most forms of karate contain more blows than holds or throws.

Say a "weapon trap".
I wanted to know what other classes of physical weapons there are.
And making a map, inserting the other weapons in it.

I will have to make a map now, by studying a system then?
OK, thanks

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What do you mean, mustafa?

A trap someone falls into where weapons go off? Trapping a weapon for empty-handed defense?

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would like to make a map, in which i put "the tool trap". And in the other locations i put the other tools, with "a trap" as a reference point.

Can you help me with this?

Check out the gates/flanks section of this link, maybe that is what you are looking for?

http://wcats.com/WCLessons/Lectures/LectureI.php#4

Also consider searching on quadrant zone or dimensional zone theory. They may not be specific to a trap, but may help you with your classification and mapping.

I wish I had more to offer.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Say a "weapon trap".
I wanted to know what other classes of physical weapons there are.
And making a map, inserting the other weapons in it.

OK, thanks

I still don't get what you're meaning when you write "map."

And I'm not sure what you're meaning when you say "weapon trap" or "classes of physical weapons", either.

Broadly speaking, we can divide the body up into a set of natural or intrinsic weapons; hands, arms, elbows, feet, knees, heads and so on. So, in an empty-hand sense, a fist or an elbow or a foot is weapon. Each style has its own set of tactics that define how to deploy and use those weapons. Moving outside of our own body, we get into other weapons that really just serve to lengthen your natural or body weapons or to focus them or expand their effect. For example, a 6' bo staff extends the reach of a hand -- but with the right training can be "thrown" just like a punch, or a knife focuses the power of a strike into the invisible line of the edge of the blade that cuts. As we get into more extreme weapons, we get bows and guns which project the fighter's "touch" hundreds or thousands of yards. And at the furthest reach -- artillery, missiles and other military weapons can extend that reach over the horizon and kill hundreds of people with one "touch." A snare, dead fall, or other laid trap allows the fighter to extend their reach in time, by having the "touch" happen when they aren't even present. Then there are the various deceptive ploys that can be used to entrap an opponent in a fight, making them vulnerable for your attack (like feints).

Some styles use the same principles to power/move/deploy an "extension weapon" (to invent a phrase) like a stick or knife as are used with the body weapons. Some styles use a whole different set of principles. (Personally, I'm lazy and dense. I like using the same principles, extended via the weapon.) But remember -- mine is just one way to look at these issues. It's not particularly original to me, but it works for me.

So... Again, I have to ask, what are you meaning when you say "traps" and "making a map?"

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I still don't get what you're meaning when you write "map."

And I'm not sure what you're meaning when you say "weapon trap" or "classes of physical weapons", either.

Well, that makes two of us, because I'm still confused about the entire thread!:confused:

Mike

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mustafa,

My suggestion, find a style you want to train and join. You will then have a better idea of what questions you can ask related to martial arts and weaponry.

- Ceicei

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score

I'm not sure of this, but I think a great many cartographers -- especially primary cartographers -- observe and measure the land they wish to map out.

But then, I may be missing what you are after. I am just as confused as everybody else in this thread seems to be.

OP
M

Mustafa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thank you

A trap someone falls into where weapons go off? Trapping a weapon for empty-handed defense?
Never mind. I will study something.
So... Again, I have to ask, what are you meaning when you say "traps" and "making a map?"
I am meaning like; i am familiar with traps. But i dont know what other weapons i have to learn to counteract.
Making a map with traps as a reference point i mean. Strart from traps which i know, then go to understand the other weapon.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am meaning like; i am familiar with traps. But i dont know what other weapons i have to learn to counteract.
Making a map with traps as a reference point i mean. Strart from traps which i know, then go to understand the other weapon.

Are you perhaps using Babelfish or another translation program to post in English? You keep using the same words despite several of us are saying we don't understand them the way you're using them. Try using different words. For example, if you mean a "trap" like a "snare" and a "map" as in a chart showing the locations of the snares... Use those words (snare & chart). But if you mean "trap" like "catching and containing a punching hand", try saying that instead.

But I really do think that you'll get your answers best by putting some time into training. If you want to learn weapons like knives and sticks -- there are schools that focus on those. If you want to learn to catch and control punches and kicks thrown at you -- well, there are schools that focus on that, too. The practice time may give you the knowledge to make a map (whatever you're meaning by that word) of your own.

OP
M

Mustafa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Are you perhaps using Babelfish or another translation program to post in English? You keep using the same words despite several of us are saying we don't understand them the way you're using them. Try using different words. For example, if you mean a "trap" like a "snare" and a "map" as in a chart showing the locations of the snares... Use those words (snare & chart). But if you mean "trap" like "catching and containing a punching hand", try saying that instead.

But I really do think that you'll get your answers best by putting some time into training. If you want to learn weapons like knives and sticks -- there are schools that focus on those. If you want to learn to catch and control punches and kicks thrown at you -- well, there are schools that focus on that, too. The practice time may give you the knowledge to make a map (whatever you're meaning by that word) of your own.

My englihs is bad. I didnt have enough time to work on it more, though i am quite satisfied with my progress in it.
A trap to me is something that is meant to disarm the opponent. (The purpouse of the trap is decided by the one who sets it, a trap itself does not decide).
The thing about a trap is that it works independent of he who made it, and it is triggered by you.
(And... that was a quick description of what i am thinking.)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My englihs is bad. I didnt have enough time to work on it more, though i am quite satisfied with my progress in it.
A trap to me is something that is meant to disarm the opponent. (The purpouse of the trap is decided by the one who sets it, a trap itself does not decide).
The thing about a trap is that it works independent of he who made it, and it is triggered by you.
(And... that was a quick description of what i am thinking.)

So, you're talking about laying snares, tiger pits, deadfalls, mines and similar mechanical traps? While I know some martial art systems do contain material related to this, I'd say it's kind of out of the usual range of discussion. You might have more luck on something like a hunting board, then.

Latest Discussions