How Brutal Were Your Black belts?

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tbh if a black belt beats you with sticks because you made a mistake or anything at all really they're not true black belts or martial artists they're just bullies with a big ego who think they can get away with anything.

If a black belt tried to hit me for any reasonoutside of a demo or sparring situation or anything that's not related to training I'd try and hit him right back. Not saying I'd win but I wouldn't just stand there and take it.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Most of my life in Japan teaching to compete in national championships. Weekends at fighting practice with other campus. I have seen some very brutal sensei in my time. But we always got the same results and better with professional approach.

Worst thing with us is new students hyperventilating and collapsing due to the extreme tension of a new killing pace.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would not train with someone who beat their students with sticks just for making a mistake. Telling kids to do push-ups if they're goofing off, okay, or kicking someone out of class, sure, but I find corporal punishment entirely unacceptable.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tbh if a black belt beats you with sticks because you made a mistake or anything at all really they're not true black belts or martial artists they're just bullies with a big ego who think they can get away with anything.

If a black belt tried to hit me for any reasonoutside of a demo or sparring situation or anything that's not related to training I'd try and hit him right back. Not saying I'd win but I wouldn't just stand there and take it.

Hitting students with sticks is a great way to get a lawsuit.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm assuming the "stick" in question is/was a shinai?

I've seen one used in a way I'd call appropriate if it's a consenting adult, but it's a fine line IMO...

That's Shigeru Oyama when he was in Kyokushin. He founded World Oyama Karate later on. IMO he's not using the shinai as punishment, it's a way to condition, remind the student of posture, keep them focused, etc. The shinai has a very loud sound when it hits, as it's essentially a bunch of bamboo strips tied together.

I'm not saying I'd like it, but I'm sure some people accept it. Horses for courses and all. I've seen other videos of the kata Sanchin being done by students where the instructor hits them with the shinai. Again, conditioning, focus, posture, etc. I've also seen videos of people sparring and the instructor will hit a student with a shinai if he's backing away, stalling, not aggressive enough, etc. The teacher in the Kyokushin episode of Fight Quest had one in a scene or two. These things may sound brutal, but they're not if done the right way. Again, there's a fine line. Shigeru Oyama seemed like he had one a lot of videos I've seen. He was known as a tough as nails instructor who genuinely loved and cared about his students. By all accounts, he wasn't doing it to beat on his students, he was using it as a supplementary teaching tool. I guess it's one of those things you have to experience to truly understand. I've never trained under him, but I know several people who have. My CI was around him way back in the 70s Kyokushin era. He's got nothing but great things to say about him.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to say I think this guys a fecking idiot and has a total disrespect for a weapon designed "NOT" to inflict injury. If you can get the best out of your students by 'not' doing that.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry to say I think this guys a fecking idiot and has a total disrespect for a weapon designed "NOT" to inflict injury. If you can get the best out of your students by 'not' doing that.
Is this in response to my post or the original post?

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Is this in response to my post or the original post?

Your post. I have trained teams to win the All Japans 'twice' and All Japan individuals winners using this weapon. A shinai is used to hit protected areas. There are 'other' methods of getting the best. Most are already natural born fighters when we choose them. Just a matter of tapping in and channeling that ability.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why does a black belt test need to be brutal? If you know the technique, and can apply it in a legitimate circumstance, why do you need to either: prove that you have the stamina to fight X other black belts for X amount of time, or

Prove that you can beat people going for the same rank as you.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why does a black belt test need to be brutal? If you know the technique, and can apply it in a legitimate circumstance, why do you need to either: prove that you have the stamina to fight X other black belts for X amount of time, or

Hardship is ultimately how you make a fighter.

Actually Kudo is mad keen for that kind of thing. My coach who is a champion MMA fighter and a guy ian bone who is a champion MMA fighter both did their black belts for kudo at the same time.

Which meant some bunch of poor bastards had to fight both of them full contact.

Which seems a bit rough considering.

The ruleset is fairly unrestricted.

Last edited:

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

If you have done the work preceding that particular grade its easy. That's the reason we have a time limit between grades. Time to reach that level.

Yet again we seem to see a "back belt" as some god like attainment. Grades are recognition of the level we have already reached although some seem to think otherwise.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Iaido sensei cut off my head one time because I looked at him funny.

Nah. Never had a teacher do anything offensive to me. I did have a couple of them whup my a$$ in class however, when I got stupid and: A) thought that I was better than I was; or B) Thought I'd like to test my skills on them (See A). Hardheaded. But, I did learn fast, and with the learning, came less and less of a need to test it or show it off.

It was like it was working or something.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your post. I have trained teams to win the All Japans 'twice' and All Japan individuals winners using this weapon. A shinai is used to hit protected areas. There are 'other' methods of getting the best. Most are already natural born fighters when we choose them. Just a matter of tapping in and channeling that ability.
No argument from me here. I respect your opinion and agree. The shinai used that way isn't something I'd seek out, and there are other ways. But I deeply respect Shigeru Oyama and the methods he used too. IMO he did it in a way that didn't cross the line and was effective for his students. He's trained some very high level competitors, such as Joko Ninomiya and Willie Williams, both of whom are in that video.

The shinai sounds so much harder than it actually is. And he's using it with high ranking and consenting adults. If he genuinely wanted to exercise his authority over them and/or throw a beating on them, I'm quite sure Shigeru Oyama didn't need a shinai to do so.

Again, differences of opinion and nothing more IMO.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I remember when I started Karate, the black belts of the class would hit you with a stick if you got a Kata wrong. I don't do this and this practice stopped a long time ago.
Tell me your stories, did your sensei beat your a**?
Did you black belts hit you with sticks?
I've been roughed up in sparring, but that's part of what sparring is about. Hitting someone with sticks for making mistakes has no place in any modern school.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's Shigeru Oyama when he was in Kyokushin. He founded World Oyama Karate later on. IMO he's not using the shinai as punishment, it's a way to condition, remind the student of posture, keep them focused, etc. The shinai has a very loud sound when it hits, as it's essentially a bunch of bamboo strips tied together.

Shigeru Oyama seemed like he had one a lot of videos I've seen. He was known as a tough as nails instructor who genuinely loved and cared about his students. By all accounts, he wasn't doing it to beat on his students, he was using it as a supplementary teaching tool. I guess it's one of those things you have to experience to truly understand. I've never trained under him, but I know several people who have. My CI was around him way back in the 70s Kyokushin era. He's got nothing but great things to say about him.

If he and his brother are anything alike, I'd have to strongly agree.

I've met Shihan Yasuhiko Oyama (he had three schools in the Birmingham, Alabama area at one time) several times, and have never known him to be anything other than a dedicated instructor of Kyokushin Karate, who wants his students to be the best they can be, both as Karate practitioners and as human beings. Yes, he is known as being a challenging instructor, but he does so in a way that was encouraging towards each and every one of his students.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If he and his brother are anything alike, I'd have to strongly agree.

I've met Shihan Yasuhiko Oyama (he had three schools in the Birmingham, Alabama area at one time) several times, and have never known him to be anything other than a dedicated instructor of Kyokushin Karate, who wants his students to be the best they can be, both as Karate practitioners and as human beings. Yes, he is known as being a challenging instructor, but he does so in a way that was encouraging towards each and every one of his students.
You're the first person I've spoken to who's actually met and commented on Yasuhiko Oyama. Everything you've said is exactly how I've heard Shigeru Oyama described. I briefly met Shigeru Oyama once when I lived a few minutes away from his White Plains, NY dojo. I was looking to start training again and knew a few guys who trained there. My CI was also in Kyokushin under Tadashi Nakamura during the Fighting Black Kings era, and the Oyama brothers and Nakamura regularly taught together. My CI was in their classes a few times. They all said Shigeru Oyama was very demanding. But he was equally loving of his students and wanted nothing but the best for them and from them. I've heard so many Shigeru Oyama stories from people who were around him that it's like I knew him. When I met him, even though it was barely more than a handshake and introduction, I knew everything they said was true. Watching him teach the class I observed confirmed it all.

Those guys weren't salesmen. They taught the way they truly felt it was supposed to be taught. People can argue the methods, but the motives were pure.

Thanks for the comments on Yasuhiko Oyama. If you've got some stories, I'd love to hear them. My CI didn't have much contact with him. He was probably overshadowed by his brother and Nakamura back then.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Regarding Yasuhiko Oyama, I do have an interesting story.

I recall going to watch the World Oyama Knockdown Tournament (they used to hold it every year at Samford University), back when he and his brother would bring in fighters from Japan to compete, along with a fair number of other folks.

Sometime in the last decade at one such event, I remember seeing how one particularly badly-behaving fighter lost in a split decision at the end, and the guy started screaming at the judges, and even started yelling at Shihan Oyama, hollering "WHAT WERE THEY LOOKING AT?!? HOW COULD THEY NOT SEE EVERYTHING?!?" in a rather hysterical manner.

Shihan Oyama simply waited for him to burn through his angry energy. After the guy exhausted himself, Shihan Oyama calmly explained to the guy what happened without raising his voice at all, and in the end, the guy simply walked out of the venue, without causing any more trouble. That was one rather impressive job of defusing an ugly situation, and keeping things calm and cool.

That's certainly an important thing we can all learn from him, given how all too many people lose their heads in this day and age, and that often times, we have to deal with them.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding Yasuhiko Oyama, I do have an interesting story.

I recall going to watch the World Oyama Knockdown Tournament (they used to hold it every year at Samford University), back when he and his brother would bring in fighters from Japan to compete, along with a fair number of other folks.

Sometime in the last decade at one such event, I remember seeing how one particularly badly-behaving fighter lost in a split decision at the end, and the guy started screaming at the judges, and even started yelling at Shihan Oyama, hollering "WHAT WERE THEY LOOKING AT?!? HOW COULD THEY NOT SEE EVERYTHING?!?" in a rather hysterical manner.

Shihan Oyama simply waited for him to burn through his angry energy. After the guy exhausted himself, Shihan Oyama calmly explained to the guy what happened without raising his voice at all, and in the end, the guy simply walked out of the venue, without causing any more trouble. That was one rather impressive job of defusing an ugly situation, and keeping things calm and cool.

That's certainly an important thing we can all learn from him, given how all too many people lose their heads in this day and age, and that often times, we have to deal with them.
Just to be clear, that "like" was for the story, not your avatar. I actually compulsively checked my coffee cup for large, hairy spiders while reading it.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I started training in the 80's, our instructors weren't using the shinai to correct your form, although a few of my instructors have stories about it being used on them. There are excercises that have, shall we say, gone out of fashion. We used to do leg raises, and have to hold them while the instructor walked around and stepped on everyone's stomach. They would just place there foot on some people and literally walk on others. The other one I'm glad we don't do anymore was reserved for the black belt only class. Last Sunday of the month. The entire class doing wall sits, and having an instructor walk across everyone's thighs. Made playing British Bulldog seem easy.

Latest Discussions